Jeffery795SILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Thinking about buying a staff as some kind as a birthday present for myself at the end of the month, but I have a few questions, which I would greatly appreciate being answered.

In have played around with staffs when I was younger, but then being young, got into other things, and now really cant remember anything smirk

Looking at getting a fire staff (with covers), but what exactly is the difference between contact staffs (staves?), breakdowns and full lengths?

Also, what would a good length and weight be for a beginner?

Thanks grin

You Lost The Game.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
not much differencce really, contact staffs are normally a bit weightier and fractionally longer (5ft) than smaller spinny sticks.
if you want to do contact I always feel better with a single piece stick, collapsables I have tried always seem to end up rattling or aren't perfectly straight making body rolls wobble.

I used 2 x 140cm for doubles contact and a 150cm for single contact all heavy fibre contacts but they may be a bit flexy and heavy for a beginner (staffs flex slightly due to fibreglass core and can therefore bounce if not smooth)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Jeffery795SILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Thanks, clears a few things up smile

Was thinking about choosing the Full length aluminium with 4 inch wicks?

What would a good lenght be?
(Im about 5'9")

You Lost The Game.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
shoulder height is normally about right, but if doing contact there is very little behind the back passes so you should be ok with 5ft, I'm 6ft and can contact 140cm staffs so they could be a good length.

The shoulder height average is a good yardstick to take as it generally means if you pass behind your back the stick is less likely to hit the ground with a wick

5ft alu stick with 4 inch wicks should be fine for contact. Make sure you have a nice wide grip by extending with raquet tape or neoprene if you find it a bit small and mark your centre of balance so you can spot it for entry and exits of body rolls like steves as getting it the right side of a body part for a smooth rotation is key wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Jeffery795SILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Thanks very much! smile
Muchly appreciated!

You Lost The Game.