SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Hello all! I've had this idea for a long time now and I've been somewhat clueless on how I would go about doing it. I really love meteor and poi, my 2 favorite toys. And I want a pair of handles for my poi that I could snap together and take apart easily so I could use it as meteor. Strong enough for me to rotor the meteor I would hope. If magnets couldn't do it I just had the idea of a little link I could press a button to undo, but that sounds complicated. I don't like my handles heavy either for throws.

Would anyone at all know what to do? I would love to be able to throw in that total mindcensored of spinning poi, doing throws, and then spinning it as a meteor xD Also just to be able to switch between the two in the first place.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello neighbor!

This sounds like a cool idea you have.

Check this out...
https://www.gora.hu/special/magnetic-fire-swinging-torch.html

These folks have some other magnetic props, although not in the poi/meteor variety.

Depending on the weight of your heads, I would imagine that it would need to be a strong magnet. I am visioning some sort of magnetic, twist to lock mechanism. The magnet would help get the handles connect easily, and then a quarter turn to lock into place?

Hope your doing well friend. I am coming to your state for Electric Forest Festival. Very excited to spin to Shpongle and many more! Best wishes and kindest regards.

Sean

Groovy

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Look into old hard drive magnets. They are fairly strong, but I think a rotor would still pull them apart.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sean! The magnetic twist and lock thing sounds really good! I might contact them about a possible custom order for handles. And I'm not going to Electric Forest unfortunately. Costs way too much for my blood laugh3

kutil_timSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
There is a couple years old video from playpoi with a guy called Brandon who had built that already on his poi set with flowlights. I also appreciate the idea of simple removable wings he designed. You may find some inspiration there.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have seen that video a long time ago and it gave me the idea like a year ago. But I really hate that handle design, they're too big and heavy x(

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest rare earth magnets, like the Brandon guy has on the video. You don't have to use his handle design. I'm sure you could find a lightweight option for having the magnets in your handles. Maybe just wrap then in some fabric, which you can tie onto a knot? I dunno, it'll take some fidgeting around to get a good design, but I do think rare earth magnets could work best for you. They are small but strong, and somewhat available online. Just make sure not to get ones that are so strong they are actually dangerous.

marc__cookGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
neodymium magnets?