Darrenmember
10 posts

Posted:
i have no idea how to do the windmill...ive tried so many times to get into it and i always mess up!!! if anyone could help me that would be great...please be patient..i have only been spinning for a month.........thanx

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
there are a few ways i found helpful.

1) go from forwards weave to reverse weave using a 180 degree turn. As you go to turn back into the forwards weave stop after 90 degrees and raise your hands around your head/shoulders and you're there

2)try a giant windmill first to get the feeling of having the poi 180 degrees apart when they're above you

3)if you can do a simple corkscrew (2 beat methinks) gradually stand upright and the poi will be doing a windmill.

On the other hand you could look:
here perhaps....
or maybe here....

this one might help

Or you could do a search - it's been talked about quite a lot. but once you get it you won't be able to understand how you couldn't do it

Keep trying, it'll come.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Darrenmember
10 posts

Posted:
thanx a lot...i can kinda get it...with some practice it will come

3,638 posts

Posted:
no problem.

jugglesmember
11 posts

Posted:
testing, testing 1... 2... 3...

Happy spinning everone!

3,638 posts

Posted:
what??

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
I think the best way for you to learn the windmill, is to first learn chasing the sun from the poi lessons, and when you can do that, all the windmill is, is split time chasing the sun.

Darrenmember
10 posts

Posted:
cool....thanx a lot

SeattleLitemember
12 posts

Posted:
I usually pick up new moves quick, but this one was hard for me too. I just got it last night. It was helpful for me to go back and forth between forward and reverse weave, and try to throw them behind my head instead of transitioning into reverse. DOes that make sense? Hope so. I suddenly realized last night it was 3 a.m. and I'd been practicing for about 1.5 hours ... so I'm tired today. Good luck!
laterz,
-Todd

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
and once you can do the windmill both directions you can turn it Start in a forward windmill and turn 180 degres so it becomes a reverse.

I'd post how, but I'm not quite sure how I do it. Um, think split time chasing the sun, only turned 90 degres. *confused* If that don't work, and anyone is actually interested in trying this, let me know and I'll try to put together something more cohesive.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Darrenmember
10 posts

Posted:
i actually learned it now.... i was doing the weave, then in the middle of the weave on my right side i put it over my head then i was doing it...was easy as pie...and was kinda an accedent learning it...lol

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
i thought that move was the fountain.....

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
it is almost fountain.

The description of fountain as far as I am aware is as follows.

Forwards weave - turn into windmill (only one complete windmill) - reverse weave - windmill - forwards weave

If that makes sense (I am rather hngover this morning )

Mark P

FiveOhRavermember
28 posts

Posted:
When I joined this site, I didn't know the names of any of the moves that I could do. As of yesterday I figured out the names for all of them except one...THE WINDMILL! Thanks...now I know the proper name...you know, rather than calling it "over the head thingy".

FiveOhRaver

If you have one for the road, I'll provide the chaser.

PoiDragonmember
33 posts

Posted:
Whoever named that move the fountain i swear was on some serious shit!!

(if you named it and are reading this can i have some of what you were using??)

The Dragon of The Poi

sindominiaSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
I have the windmill down fine forwards and reverse but i'm wondering how to add extra beats onto the windmill i'm guessing it's just like a weave over your head but i just keep burning my face so if anyone has any suggestions it would be really helpful thankx

[ 28 July 2002, 20:58: Message edited by: sindominia ]

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
sindominia - how about trying with either practice poi or unlit poi? that ought to sort out the burning the face problem!

I still cant keep this one up for long but I should have it cracked soon

Check out the home of poi tutorial for the tripple or quad corkscrew : click here
it is basically the same motion but with the poi in the same plane as they are in the windmill.

Mark P

sindominiaSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
thankx yeah your right the unlit or the practise would stop the burning face it's just that fire is so much more fun you know how it is

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
yep I know oh too well! and have plenty of burn marks/singed hair to prove it

Also another alternative that looks quite nice with the windmill is putting in a giant windmill, it took a little while to learn exactly where to be extending my arms and feels a little weird at first but once you have learnt it, it runs quite smoothly.

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
i can do the windmill but wen i go bhind my head its at an angle ny advice on how 2 flatten it out? it looks ok but would like 2 b able 2 do it the right way lol

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
practice standing with a wall behind you and get closer and closer, whilst making sure your hands go all the way back.

If you keep at it your muscle memory will learn what straight feels like, eventually (took me an hour or 3 but I'm slow learning new physical skills)

AstephySILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
It gonna sound strange. What I did was when the poi moved to my back I tried to graze it across my head. It hurts a little bit but it helps teach you what your hands are doing when you cant see them
EDITED_BY: Astephy (1303340328)

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
ok i will try that thx smile