johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
i am brainstorming and currently hopping thru websites from one to another looking for the best fire poi heads. i only have the cathedral and i have not tried anything else yet... so i want to have your opinions about each fire poi heads..

Mega Cathedrals
Moonblaze
Monkey Fists
Isis
Bullet Design
and maybe suggest one that i don't know about..???

Anyway, i just want to know their durability, in terms of kevlar destruction or something... coz what i saw in my cathedrals is that the kevlar turns into some whitish ash like material after several burns. i don't know whether kevlar rope or kevlar tape or webbing is better than ropes.

i also want to know about how big are the flames gonna be?

so if want to let you suggest one design that is the best, what will it be?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Another option are tube cores, but pretty much anything on your list will probably be better.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I looked at bullet poi. Those are the same as Moonblaze and more expensive than FireMecca. I would say Isis is the best. I have them and they are amazing. They look amazing and have a nice long burn time. Rope is generally more durable than flat wick. Next after isis I would choose Moonblaze, then mega cathedrals, then monkeyfist. Although large monkeyfists are great for rope dart because of the weight.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I like my poi to generally be at least approximating spheres. It just makes more sense. I tend to use 2.5x2.5x2.5 cathedrals. I don't know anyone else who uses them, I don't know anyone who sells them (the way I like them). Big fire, not so heavy.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I like heavy heads that somewhat resemble a tube. I also like the chain to be as light as possible and I hate ball chain. I feel like its always going to break and it's really bulky and feels bad when wrapping on my hands. I also like big fire and for it to sound like I'm swinging mini jet engines. Hence Why I love Isis poi and the chain they come with ^^

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I have monkeyfist poi. Its really not my fave. Burn time isnt as good as everyone raves and the flame is smaller than my old cathedrals. I'm gonna get moonblaze or isis soon. Not sure which.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if you had to choose between large poi heads or split/intermediate poi heads, please consider that there is more control with single large poi heads.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
thanks guys! yah heavier poi are better when it comes to controlling it. i am considering isis but it is very expensive! it's like $115! it's like buying an iphone when you can buy a much cheaper $30 phone that can text and call!

@aston: is tube core really good? do you recommend the 4 inches one?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Isis are almost exactly $120. Tube cores are not good, my absolute last choice for a fire head. And trust me, you get ALL that you pay for with isis laugh3 Also designs made with rope generally last longer and have a longer burn from my experience, also because the rope is round it gives more surface area for a bigger flame. But there are flat wick designs that give an ENORMOUS flame. Mostly one in particular I made >.>

Non-Https Image Link

With those I got way more with the flame than I put in those only costed me about $40 for both of them.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
what is this? it looks like a nug that i wanna smoke for the weekend SOD! hehehe! what did you do in this censored? i wanna make one of your models!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Make sure you learn from my mistake and make sure it has a backbone running through the entire thing so it doesn't stretch way out and become unusable like mine did smirk

https://www.laneyards.com/2008/11/corkscrew-supertwist-stitch.html

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1287423844)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have tubecores, but only in the loosest sense of the term:
The tube is only just wide enough to fit an eye-bolt through it. I got them at a local festival though, so unlikely to find anything as good again, so will get different heads, probably monkey fist next time around.

2,280 posts

Posted:
There's also a lot of designs that you can make yourself. Lot's of laneyard style wicks. The most simple being Moonblaze. Then you can do the tornado stitch, or you can do something crazy like my 8 inch long monsters shown above.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
cool! alright thanks again! by the way SOD, what do you mean about it stretched way out?

2,280 posts

Posted:
umm, it only has a 2 inch eyebolt in it and all the layers pulled apart. Basically you can see in between each layer other than the top 2 inches. It would last maybe 10 more burns at the very very most before tearing in half.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
While it's hard to beat Isis or moonblaze for sheer flame size, I do find them unwieldy for their weight and length. Monkey fists have never left me wanting for fire, but are a size that's easy to use, a weight that's easy to swing for a while, and have a burn time longer than any song I've spun to yet. Ymmv, of course, but they're my fav, and not too hard to make oneself.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well it depends on the size of monkeyfist it is. Other than the tiny ones most other ones seem to be larger and heavier. Although they're generally not long, they just usually are really big o0 Or maybe everyone at practice has a weird supplier. Also someone else at practice got Isis poi after I did, he's like the main poi spinner of the Fire Guild, and now he's sworn to them. I've ssen him use monkeyfist (kinda small ones) and large (4") moonblaze before these. He also switched to the chain it came with because it's super light like I did.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
S11: How big do you make your fists?

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
i tried making practice monkey fists once... with the usual 4 strands but instead of using a wooden core, i used a two strand monkey fist as a core. i made this with one straight rope... if you know how to make monkey fists backwards you know what i mean. what i did to the rope is that i made a knot at the end of the rope, then used the know as the core for the two strands smaller monkey fist. then i used the two strand monkey fist now as the core of the four strand bigger monkey fist.

if using kevlar, i just don't know what to do with the extra rope on the end of the fist. sew it with kevlar thread perhaps? or glue it?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would probably sew it or even nail in the end.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonS11: How big do you make your fists?

Generally 3-bight fists with 1/2" wick, so roughly 2.5", maybe slightly bigger.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
SOD: nail it? maybe i would consider sewing it. hehehe!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
i finally made up my mind and ordered 40 ft. of 3/8 kevlar ropes and 5 meters of kevlar thread. i decided to make braided fire snakes! wooohow!

2,280 posts

Posted:
I like this idea! I would use 1/2 inch rope myself because I'm a little insane tongue2

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
hahaha! yah it would be nice if i got more funds.