Forums > Social Chat > 1st Burn on my birthday tomorrow!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Well guys after 6 months of practice and preparation, I have decided to commemorate my 28th birthday tomorrow with my 1st burn. Fortunately the blizzard remnants have cleared out here in Delaware, the ground is dry and weather should be great for an afternoon burn. My fiance will be spotting me, the tripod will be filming, and all of my gear is ready (including safe cold weather attire).

Wish me luck and anyone who would like to share their experiences of having a first burn in the cold or any last minute advice please do share! weavesmiley

I'll upload and update with the finished results as soon as I can. Thanks so much everyone for their input that has aided my preparation for the big day! grouphug

peace

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
As I am sure that you know, I had my first burn a little while ago in the cold, my advice is warm up first so you can wear normal clothes and not get cold wink It's what I do in the cold. Also remember this, I did not know this my first burn, if you're using kerosene and you hit yourself, nothing will happen. Knowing this will make it more enjoyable wink
Edit: What are you burning with? Contact staff, poi, double staff, ect? And also please post your video on this thread.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262044420)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshSo excited for you! Hope it goes well! Good luck ^^b

Thanks so much, it's greatly appreciated!

SoD: Good word of advice because I am using K-1. I'm starting with my Mura poi https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-25inch-Mura-stitched-roll-fire-heads
and if wind conditions permit I'll be trying out some basic single staff (minimal contact and "safe" throws) with my small wicked staff as well https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Full-length-staff-with-25inch-wicks.
cool

I plan on warming up a good deal just to be at the top of my game out there and to remove bulkiness. Nice to hear about kerosene from your firsthand experience but I'm spraying down my hair and binding it tightly to play it safe regardless. I plan on wearing heavy denim pants, shoes with good support and a leather exterior, along with and Under Armour base layer with a 100% cotton sweatshirt over top (thick, tightly woven). Because I plan on using my staff as well I'll have a headband on with a well secured high bun for no hangups.

I think I'm going to carry my iPod dock outside because I don't flow very well without music and I'm a much calmer person with a constant noise (yeah silence and breaks in silence startle me easily). I'll post links to my upload on here for certainyes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we brought our iPod dock out for mine. Oh, and when I sayy nothing happens, that excludes hair XD. K-1 burns hot enough to singe hair a little. When I first got hit, it didn't singe my hair all the way down, but it got shortened yes (on my arm) I'm not saying don't wet or cover your hair wink I put on a skicap to cover my hair as well as look amazing as always tongue2

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
I was using my poi last night on a camping trip (nothing too exciting) and i managed to wrap my right poi around my left arm trying to do reverse 3beat weave.
I was using Firesol (fire twirling fuel) and it the most that it did was singe a few hairs, put some black soot marks on my arm, and left what looks to be the smallest burn i have EVER seen on anyone, being that it is only 2cm long and a couple of mm wide (if that).

So dont worry and try not to think about it, just imagine you're using your normal poi. But with the fire, it will take some time getting use to, because there is the added effect of the fire spinning past your head and stuff tongue2

But good luck with your burn. Hoping to see a video or pictures soon ^_^

Edit: Oh, and happy bday for...today i guess grin
EDITED_BY: Woodsy (1262065888)

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".
Poje: not Joules?
Woodsy: No...Never grin

787 posts

Posted:
Woodsy, I've been practicing with the wicks I intend to use actually. Do you have any idea how much the weight is going to change once they're saturated? My biggest concern is the added weight from kerosene and the drag of the flames. How much of a change from their unused feel should I expect?

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes I just hit 28 years old officially about 12 minutes ago on the dot! old j/k

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday, the weight doesn't change too much after you soak them. I'd say soak them for a few minutes for a nice long burn, so you can get used to it. I always soak mine for about 5 minutes and my burns are always 5-6 minutes grin The sound of the flame doesn't scare much I don't think, for me it was the constant fear of being hit by the fire. I'll tell you right now, no matter how you prepare, there is still that primal fear of fire that for me is almost gone now. Most of it went away after my 2nd burn.

787 posts

Posted:
SoD got to me first! Haven't even thought about the primal fear response since I've tended to fires starting as a small child, I think I should be coolyes

Thanks much for the birthday wishes! It's freezing out today here in DE, but that warms the spirit right up (along with my latte!LOL)

Gonna be a great day today! sunny
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1262105095)

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
First time I experienced it was when I made my flaming gloves. Doesn't hurt or anything, but it freaks you the hell out to see your hands on fire, a really big fire I might add O_o

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yay! It'll be great, I'm sure!

Now I feel lame for not having recorded my first burn (I just didn't want to buy a tripod, you have to understand). I'll have to record my fifth or something tongue2

Personally, my first burn was a lot of fun. I'd known a number of fire spinners, seen a lot of shows, so I knew that in general I knew what to expect with various levels of screwing up. Add to this that I've always been a bit of a pyro and far more comfortable with fire than I actually should be, and it was more an opportunity to really cut loose before a small audience than it was a time to worry about suddenly being on fire.

So just remember, it may seem scary, but actually it's not, so just rock it hard (though I still wouldn't do anything you're completely new to).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I had someone else film mine tongue2 and someone else filmed it on their phone. I was surprised I was scared because I had done Firebreathing before hand and made flaming gloves.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I had planned to have someone else film me, but I didn't want the whole shaking handheld thing going on. That sort of thing may work for FX cop shows, but it doesn't work for my fire spinning tongue2

I can imagine poi having a different feel than fire gloves and fire breathing. There's a certain feel of uncontrollability to poi when you know you can't just stop them on a dime. I mean, you sort of can, but you need to be able to take a second to work out where and when you're going to stop them, and you have the relatively unique worries of wrapping and tangling.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'd say the most scary thing I've done is flaming gloves because YOU are on fire and a primal fear just takes over and you get scared as hell. The first time I did it, I went into a "fight or flight" mode and flipped out and dunked my hands in water. Fyi, it didn't hurt or feel warm, it just scared me after about 10 seconds.

787 posts

Posted:
OK yesterday got seriously screwed up so some advice from anyone in a cold climate would be beneficial! So here goes!

I had to wait until the wind advisory subsided at 6pm because I know poi/staff+40mph wind gusts=potential nightmare! We went out and got set up but of course the temperature drops and it was impossible to get the K-1 to lights. I'm waiting for the peak temperature to hit between 2-4 pm today which will be between 34-40 degrees fahrenheit. The frostbite was setting in and we postponed until today (it got down in the 20s at the time we tried and I wasn't spinning in the wind advisory, SAFETY FIRST!)

Is this normal, did I blot my poi too well, or do I have to tweak the instructions for winter spinning? I know I did the right thing postponing although it did bum me out a bit (it was a birthday thing and I had worked so hard on getting it together), but I want to get it right today and consider it my bachelorette spin since I'm getting married tomorrow...

*positive spin! lol and pun too it seems! haha*

So I'll be checking in for any more advice on the cold for the next 2 hours before I head out to the zone bounce2

~Rock on!~

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what you're supposed to do in the cold, since I live in Israel and we never have snow, but wind and such makes it much harder to light, try to block the wind when lighting it smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I can give you advice on that smile As well as a "Congratulations!" on your marriage grin What will help a lot in lighting is either mix about 1/4 lighter fluid (Coleman's) into the fuel, or you can just pour a little on after your done blotting, spinning off, squeezing, or whatever else you do. Also, Zippo lighters are truly magical as they are windproof and I love mine yes Last time I had to light, it took about 15-20 seconds under the flame before it started to light. And what I do instead of blotting is I let it drip into the can until it stops pouring and then I give it 1 or 2 spins and it's fine, with K-1 it doesn't matter as much because it won't be on fire when it comes off wink In the winter, I'm noticing that some lighter fluid is a must and I should start carrying a little shot of it with me, maybe an empty 5 Hour Energy bottle with lighter fluid in it ubbidea

787 posts

Posted:
Haha I did it! It's nothing fancy due to the loss of feeling in my hands (you can see my breath in the video) and having to light it myself because my helper cannot use a lighter and rattled my nerves a little bit, but I'm sure the next go around will be more impressive. The wind kicked up a lot after I got started and my clothes were restrictive so I kept it very simple and swung, turned, walked around, and did one weave.

When my fingers started going numb (which took about a minute) I decided to end it, but here is my 1st burn!!! NO INJURIES!!! (or issues using the park minus people with dogs not on leashes making me nervous and not safe to reattempt.

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=101828677

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Looks like you need to get more used to the fire ^^ No worries, it's cold as balls outside. I even got me some fingerless gloves grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Congrats on first burn!

..and birthday!

..and getting married!

787 posts

Posted:
LOL I do!!! They were so hard to light myself and then get my almost numb fingers in the handles!!! It was COLD!!! But now I know more of what to expect and on a warmer day should have some more endurance and an idea of what to expect. The actual lighting process took over 20 minutes and was the hardest part!LOL redface

I don't think it was too bad though! The wind that kicked up made me a bit nervous too, but I'm so glad I did it! grin

Originally Posted By: ReVoCongrats on first burn!

..and birthday!

..and getting married!

thankx soooo much!!! Talk about a December to remember!
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1262213282)
EDIT_REASON: combining 2 posts into 1

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, 20 minutes O_O You my friend, are in need of some Coleman's, and never leave the K-1 in the cold overnight before you spin or it's near impossible to light as you've experienced crazy

787 posts

Posted:
Oh wow, we live and we learn! I really wasn't expecting it to take that long *face palm*, but I'm a trooper and kept on truckin'!

Other than that small lapse in judgment and comfort how did my standard spinning and movement/pace look? (keeping all environmental conditions in account of course)

I'm going to post my next burn on a warmer day to show more of my natural style yes

~Rock on!~

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I think I will wait for that one. tongue2

And yeah, Happy happy December. wink

Also, snow? That is that white stuff what is on Christmas cards, yeah? *snigger* Living in subtropical Africa means that if it gets down to 15'C people start whining. I think it was about 30' and humid today....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, here it warmed up a little and snow is melting grin As for how it looked, your hands were really far away from your body while spinning, planes were a little off, and I can't remember if you are wearing gloves or not, because the screws up my planes a little. Other than that, it was a little too short to really tell much, but I'm sure you'll do better next time grin We could go ahead and say this one didn't count laugh3

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWell, here it warmed up a little and snow is melting grin As for how it looked, your hands were really far away from your body while spinning, planes were a little off, and I can't remember if you are wearing gloves or not, because the screws up my planes a little.

LOL You know the little brother Randy in A Christmas Story who cried "I can't put my arms down!" after his mom bundled him up to go to school?

That is how I felt!!! I had 3 shirts on, I deserve some form of points for layering 3 shirts and spinning in a pair of riding gloves! lolsign

If I can get a 50 degree day I can go out in a T-Shirt and rock out because I honestly had a very limited range of motion and many distractions in the park. I'll do much better on round 2 when I'm not layered for hiking the Appalachian Trail in winter and in fear of the public park I have to go to. tongue2

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Haha, yes I remember that, when I was a kid I had a coat like that once lolsign And also laugh3 because the guy in lolsign looks like Goku from Dragonball Z XD

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI think I will wait for that one. tongue2

And yeah, Happy happy December. wink

Also, snow? That is that white stuff what is on Christmas cards, yeah? *snigger* Living in subtropical Africa means that if it gets down to 15'C people start whining. I think it was about 30' and humid today....

I'm so jealous! You're making me want to move back to Hawaii!!! LOL It's been in the 20's and 30's all week which is below 0'C! I'm amazed I didn't chicken out completely. I think with so much going on and having my spotter unable to light me (lighting myself was really the scariest thing after he had a conniption), people gawking and letting dogs of their leashes on the other end of the field, plus having no music to distract from the scary sound the poi was making threw me off hardcore.

But the things I did learn from the experience are...

1.) Poi is much easier to stall when lit
2.) Use less fuel because flame on Mura wicks shouldn't be that big and the fumes and smoke were harsh for the first 30 seconds (that didn't get filmed).
3.) Don't spin poi outfitted for a ski/snowboard trip wait for T-Shirt weather that doesn't require gloves
4.) If your spotter cannot use a lighter, get some campfire matches so you don't have to light yourself with a cigarette lighter
5.) It's easy to get out of the poi and extinguish them and there is no shame in stopping before your time is up (especially when you lose feeling in your fingers)
6.) Reviewing the video gave me a good idea of my flame clearance to do moves next time that go behind me (like alternate butterflies and reels)
7.) Flame drag does increase speed control and the sound alerts you to the poi's position without having to look.

and finally...

8.) My fear is much less now that I know what it will look, sound, and smell like upon ignition, plus while spinning and have found a way to correct every hardship I faced with this below freezing first burn!!! santahat

I'm glad I faced the harshest conditions and acted with sense, bravery, and a level head. I know I'm a decent advanced beginner who can move about freely while spinning (which I did not stand still in my burn either like someone else... tongue2 j/k) and with my LEDs and sock can flawlessly transition between 20 tricks while dancing. I think it'll take many burns to get to get my unlit skills to transfer to the realm of fire, but I feel it's promising and know I have potential.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who is having a rough go on the transition to fire and those who are considering ityes

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hah, whenever I spin, I still do it in a tshirt no matter how cold tongue2 But my hands will still get numb after a while. I too think it will take many burn for my shills to transition into fire. I'm sure you were like I was and had this amazing show in your head and when you got there, you were like OH censored! And none of it got through.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI too think it will take many burn for my shills to transition into fire. I'm sure you were like I was and had this amazing show in your head and when you got there, you were like OH censored! And none of it got through.

You got that right, my friend! hug

I think it would be kinda boring if it all just transferred easily, I love the sense of adventure and challenge (a different sensation is also exhilarating! The best part about it is I want to do it many more times and keep working on it, plus I'm no longer a burn virgin and can do the class for the bracelet to fire spin at my favorite festival in the summer now (a great place to network and get real time fire instruction, plus some banging Goa/Psytrance and Downtempo music nonstop included!) grin

I'm so looking forward to spring time now! bounce2

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
YES! Spring time! bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262298307)

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
oh dear god... umm

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Page: