Forums > Technical Discussion > Dragonstaff (5 headed staff) construction

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Hi, I saw this video by Gora Krisztian, and I've seen this thing at a fire meet a while back, and I'm wondering how to make one of these:

Drilling 4 holes into a staff seems like a bad idea since it would make that area very fragile, so how can I go about attaching the wicks? welding? smaller rods?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
dont the spoked wicks spin?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Robbertstranger
8 posts

Posted:
i would say that you can use a ring and attach the crossed rods and wicks on that, like chaos sticks
https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Chaos_Sticks_a.k.a._Cross_sticks__.html

if you can weld it is easy to make, make sure that when you do you have a ring on both sides for extra strenght

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I don't think the spokes spin. When he's doing contact they spin, but whenever he grabs the staff firmly, they immediately stop.

If they were a moving piece, the energy would continue.

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Yeah, here is a video that shows it clearly.

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
hmm good find. i think yer right perhaps just having the extra wicks sticking out like that cause it to roll slowly.....i need one me thinks

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
So I just finished making one last night..

Holy crap this is awesome!

I was right about the wick construction and the amount it adds to the weight of the staff increases the balance point to an insane amount. This allows it to roll easily along the body (you have to get it started first), and it appears to be spinning very quickly thanks to the 4 heads sticking out.

Mad props to Gora if he's the one that dreamed it up.

WeAreSafe.org

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, but does this staff naturally handle differently and require a different style to use due to its greater weight and "pokey" shape?

This statement is false...?

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I think it does and I also think you use a diffrent style, more focused on the spinning of the staff heads.

Ouch o.O

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
well, Gora makes and even sells them... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
www.gora.hu

But he doesn't have links up to sell them. Site is under construction.

I made one myself though and it can be seen in this video. I'd only had a few days to mess with it before this.

I've really smoothed up the steve rolls and matrix after I've gotten used to it.

The staff doesn't have a huge amount of total weight. All things considered it's pretty light. But since all the weight is on the ends it has an insane balance point that makes moves like conveyor belts, matrix, shoulder neck shoulder and halos extremely easy!! Steve rolls can be a little tricky. Do to the way the weight distributes you have to get the staff spinning first. And an extra spin on your back is imperative to turn the rotation around. Unlike a normal staff, this one can't stop and start spinning by itself. You have to get it's rotation going and then figure out how to get it to turn and spin to be rolling in the direction you need.

WeAreSafe.org

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
could get you in touch with him on FB...

send request to "Tom Shanti"

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink