Forums > Help! > Tinnitus - hear the white noise

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
After a few years of DJ-ing it started (and forced me to stop)... excessive loud music, thumping in my ears for consecutive hours...

Leaving me with a constant white noise... day and night...
Well it's not that obvious when there are (heeps of) ambient sounds... but when talking to someone, it's quite annoying because ppl have to talk a little louder.

After Asia it's been quite okay but now I'm staying at a friends place and the window is to a busy street - especially in the mornings (starting 5am) it gets quite loud and to add to this, there's a traffic light right in front of the house. I can't sleep with windows closed (because it's summer).

So here I am... it's 8 in the morning and the place is completely quiet (apart from the traffic outside) and I hardly notice the cooling of this computer, because of the shshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsh inside my head...

It's quite loud now, louder than before - and it takes the entire space around me...

No, I'm not getting insane over it - quite relaxed and chilled. It's what it is - a constant prickly sound carpet... old

Experiences?
Advices?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
oh yes, the most intense is my own heartbeat... it adds a woooshwoooshwooosh to the shshshshshshshshshshsh...

(for those who don't know what "white noise" is - unplug the input of your TV and turn it on, if you can see black/white contrast "snow" - turn up the volume)

meditate

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
sounds mildly less annoying than the really really high pitch squeal kind of tinnitis that i get!! mine comes & goes though - i am SO glad it's not constant!!

have you been to a doctor about it?

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have this in my left ear,.

It sucks frown

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
reading this thread brought it on for me just now tongue2

I think mine comes and goes; it's more a ringing noise and doesn't really bother me, but i attribute it to listening to electronica on my walkman too loud too often in younger years grin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I know this "tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" too - it comes up every now and then...

Haven't seen a doctor on it, because when it appeared - it used to go away... come back... go away... so I hoped it would vanish by itself. It got a lot better, but as I said only now it persists again - here in Germany with this street right in front of the window...

I start wearing earplugs when on the motorbike, because the noise is quite loud...

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
I've got a constant high pitched whistling sound in my left ear! Not sure how it came about but it's been like that for years - I think it might have started after a bad ear infection!

Anyways, one of my previous doctors thought it might have been glue ear and put me on an anti histamine nasal spray but that didn't work, so when I changed doctors (after moving home) I asked about it again and got referred to an ENT clinic!

After about 9 months and 3 CT Scans the upshot is there's nothing physically wrong with my ear that they could see and I have to just live with it!! tongue2 They're referring me to Hearing Therapy to get some advice on dealing with it but I suspect that won't tell me much more than I already know!!

It's an annoyance but I can live with it!! lol It's just the last 2 years I've noticed I have to have the TV much louder than I used to and that bugs me lol

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Having been a drummer for er... 16 years (?) I've always been wary of it and have always worn earplus, even going to concerts and stuff.

Then I did a SCUBA experience dive, didn't equalise my ears properly and have had high-pitch "eeeeeee" for about a year now.
Only notice it when it's really quiet, a bit annoying though.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I'll hear a high pitched sqeal every once and a while but it doesn't last very long for me. It isn't very loud either.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's your master, blowing the whistle wink

Non-Https Image Link

So it's more about: if it's a constant (old) problem, don't worry and "just don't listen"... nothing to be done about it... (?)

meditate

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Pretty much Tom!! tongue2 Once I get my hearing therapy appointment out the way I'll let you know more!! grin

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!