J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
does jute burn as even and look as good as kevlar? I just made a mini rope dart out of jute (wick head) outter races of skateboard bearings (weight) and sterling silver ball chain (i still have yet to flame test it)

i just threw this together in a few minutes but i am going to fire test everything and make sure 100% its safe and strong.

i just wanted to know if it was as good as kevlar

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Jute's sometimes used as a housing material because it's cheap and fire resistant to a degree (as in flames won't spew everywhere like with synthetic or some kinds of cotton). Whereas it's strength, it's sometimes used to make packaging. Not sure if this all leads to it being good for fiery wicks though.

Experimentation is the only real way to find out.

This statement is false...?

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
well im actually about to light it up for the first time this weekend (no swinging i still have yet to test the links) ill post pics (maybe) when and if it works

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
BAD IDEA DO NOT TRY THIS, lets just say i need to find a better solution for a head

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
What exactly went wrong? Did they burn to pieces? Explode? Not light? I'll assume some how all of the previously mentioned.

This statement is false...?

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
As far as I know, Jute, being a natural fiber, isn't going to hold up to being burnt with fuel. While if dry, it is bumped with fire it won't ignite instantly, that's very different from fueling it and igniting it. Chances are it's going to fly apart in short order. Might last a few spins, but when it fails, it's going to be bad.