Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I just got a butterfly weave thingy going

QUESTION - is that an anti spin weave or what? I'm not sure.

There arn't too many spinners in palmy and those that are here are mostly beginners then to top it all off the good spinners have little or no knowlage of poi language or terminology.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
In a butterfly weave, one hand is antispun, the other is normal spin.

Say you're doing the hand motions for a forwards weave, the hand that's spinning backwards is the antispun one.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
One hand is doing a reverse weave and the other a foward weave with needle threading (both under arm and over arm depending on which side of the body u r on) to make a 5bt move. This to my understanding is a butterfly weave and while you say one hand is antispun (this is the concept that i'm having issues with) i consider the trick in terms of foward and reverse weaves simultainiously. Is it or isn't it an antispun weave and if it isn't point me to a vid of an antispun weave so i can learn it in visual terms as opposed to text.

Cheers biggrin

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Sounds to me like we're talking about slightly different things by the term butterfly weave. My understanding of the term is essentially a 3bt weave, with one of the poi spinning backwards instead of forwards.Your hands will be doing the exact hand motions for a forwards weave. Best example I can think of is Sketch's gif in the butterfly weave thread, [Old link].

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
cheers thats almost the same move but in 3bt instead of 5bt, both of which i can do however i figured out the 5bt before i thought of doing the 3bt and my 5 bt is a lot cleaner. Also in 5bt it changes from foward to reverse weave depending on body side however that may be the doing of the needle thread as oposed to wraping my wrists around each other as in a traditional 5bt weave.

I'm still not all that clear on the matter of antispins however

Many thanks anyhow

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Antispin is where your hand moves in a circle in the opposite way to the way the poi is spinning. If you spin the poi forwards, and move your arm in a big circle backwards, you're doing antispin.

In a butterfly weave, the circle your hand makes is a lot smaller, but because your hands are rotating forwards (ie the forwards weave motion) the poi that's spinning backwards is therefore antispun. The poi that's spinning forwards is spinning normally cause it's going in the same direction as your hands. smile

Edit: dizzphoenix just re-read your original post... An antispin weave is where you do the hand motions for a forwards weave, but your poi are both spinning backwards, or vice versa. It's very pretty (when done well) but doesn't look much like a normal weave. smile
EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1173367660)

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this qualiefies as a move, but today, i heard a song in my list of music, that somehow, opened up a pretty much whole new "flow" for me.

And it's so fun! ubblol

I'm so much more happy spinning now. I've seen the light!

eek

Borysnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
isolation 360 or something like that

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
Yea yea! Just recently I learned to do split time straight jackets and butterfly straight jackets!!! Also, my dancing transitions are flowing together alot better looking! I wish I had a way of posting my poi routines up on the site for yall to see!! But for sure, there is always later!!!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
so long as we're talking more about flow than moves i was working on a funny little routine for busking that goes to the tune of "do your balls hang low".

butterfly > reverse thread the needle > reverse butterfloop > angel wings
EDITED_BY: dizzypheonix (1174106813)

sxsk17BRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
this morning I suddenly realized how to put 1.5's behind by back and behind my head. sorta... still needs lots of smoothing out. I also stumbled upon a type of butterfly 1.5

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Nailed some basic atomics. I don't know why it took me so long to understand the concept.. Have to blame it on the weird words used with atomics.. haha..

Man, now that i understand the basics, the real experimentation can begin =)

biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Some contact thingoes now that I finally got around to making counterweighted poi

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Within 14 seconds of Uber teaching, I can now do one-and-two-halves.

Thanks Rob!!

And reverse one-and-two-halves Thanks to THE fluff.

I love visiting Southants. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm doing this for a while and can't believe this to be new a all:

Buzzsaw - one hand remains in position, the other hand leaves, does a flower pattern (anti- or spin) and returns into the buzzsaw

Variation: before one hand comes back into the buzzsaw, the other hand starts ot to flower.

If done to the rythm of the music, it gives a very sweet view...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the buzzsaw flower takeouts are lush! I've been playing with isolating them as well, looks really trippy ir one hand is doing continuous antispin flowers, and the other stays in place....

Got *wracks brains for closest terms* butterfly fountain with hugged insert. Like a forward butterfly weave to a backwards butterfly weave, but with a beat of opposite direction huggy in the middle... lush...

3bt weave inversion (the barrel roll bit) pulled out into a hyperloop too.

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"buzzsaw flower takeout" ubbidea "butterfly fountain with hugged insert"

ubblol

I'm doing some kind of "forward (opposing) dual chain buzzsaw - butterfly - reverse (opposing) dual chain buzzsaw" - combo... is that alike?

But antispin flower outtakes are trippy indeed...

peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

adrenalinenewbie
18 posts

Posted:
i just got the reverse thread the needle!! wooo now im trying split time! i realice theres no imposible moves only few practice... does anybody knows how to start the one side butterfly?? smile:)

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

OctaviaKeatonBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
well Im not sure what all these complicated moves are...but seeing as I just started Id like to say that I just learned the weave yaaay!..and the corkscrew!...and the backwards weave sort of! :P

Yeah I have the AoP video lol

ElentariSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
Hmm, well Im just at the point where Im starting to experiment with transitions and whatnot, which is fun. I just figured out how to go from a regular 3bt to a BTB 3bt! And also into a buzzsaw from a weave... easy enough but still a thrill!

And I dont know what it is but Im sure it has some name, I just "made up" a sort of weave isolation hybrid. I cant wait to be able to do isolations for more than 2 seconds, theyre so fun and I love how they look!

"He had been 8 years upon a project for extracting sunbeams from cucumbers, which were to be put in vials, hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers."
~Swift, Gullivers Travels

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
cool ubblove

I just discovered some type of Butterfly Fountain, which I'm SURE people have played with before, I just havn't seen them in many videos I guess. eek

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
TTN!!! I FINALLY GOT THREAD THE NEEDELE!!!!

yay!

I finally got chase the sun too, (was having some issues with my left poi over my head)

also now i'm trying to learn the wiggle and ttn with the glow poi as well as the socks!
EDITED_BY: toobie (1175241252)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
throws: Been trying to sort out that pesky left hand!

simultaneous double throws from plain reverse spinning

a few catches of simultaneous doubles throws from butterfly

alternating left right throws from ttn

alternating left right btb throws (catch in front) from low wave

throws and catches from reverse giant windmill (thanks to ros and oli for the idea on that one)

and btb catches with my right hand

also i managed to get my btb butterfly working for more than 3 seconds in same time (somehow split time works easier for me)

Pretty happy with today!! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
So I finally got my reverse weave, took me a few days. smile Now what should I be working on? I can do a butterfly, in both directions, and a high wave, but when I try to do it once behind my head they twist.
Any advice on that?
What can I apply my cool new weave and reverse weave to? What can I try to lead into with it?

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Turn to turn from a forwards weave into a backwards one, and back a gain, both directions. Then learn Fountains. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
very produtive week for me I learnt antispin flowers/weave/several other varionts therof including some atomic structure stuff but that just happened by accident (good accident however).

Hyperloops on my bad side, I had the hyperloop down going left to right but i couldn't for the life of me get them to go right to left until today. Airwraps go figure i learnt to do hyperloops before i could airwrap.

Oh I also figured out some buzzsaw stuf, I have no idea why it took me so long to figure coz it ain't all that difficult.

now I'm going to go back to spinning inside and trying to avoid hitting the light bulb since i killed the entire fitting the other day but I have since repared it.

Obi_Wan_LynobiBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
I too have had a productive week, finally got the 5 beat weave, and turning from forward into reverse 3 beat and back again. Result!

I once saved the universe in a big yellow truck

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Weave Olos, without complete turn yet.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I've been tidying up my antispin weave, practising some clubspinning grooviness, and just making my stuff look good.

Offset 3 petal antispun flowers to, which is fun, plus still working on antispin reels.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Yay joy an happiness! Is it sad that I'm so mega excited about being able to do 3 beat weave? Taken me a damn week but now i can do it forward and reverse!
Many impacts in my dosy skull and my pods. However finally got it down.
Joy of poi! weavesmiley

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Page: ......