hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

I've just finished this video, made during 2008 featuring 16 London-based jugglers/object manipulators and one shadow.

it features hoppers Bluecat, Simian, Hexagonic and DevKev.

Comments are of course appreciated!

https://www.vimeo.com/2249146

Enjoy!

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
fantastic editing and choice of shots!
love it smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Great video Will, thanks for sharing smile

What was the object floating around on the tube map? A tape? I couldn't make it out.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
it was a wee camera. Glad you liked it smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
That is the best juggling video i have seen in a long time, great locations, great editing and some bloody good jugglers.
Well done grin

"Don't do it naked!"

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Awesome video...thanks for putting it out

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
It's like a document of trip throught London.

The big wheel rock!

so people,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Really Nice choice of shots, people, music and transitions.

Was really nice to see DevKev - I dont think I've seen him swing clubs before, and its really refreshing to finally see him - he's pretty good!

yeah beautiful video tho!!

Crits;

Use of a Tripod (handheld even steady hands, is still no match for tripod).

a bit of time working on colour correction / contrast in Final Cut - esspecially for some of the outdoor shooting, was a lttle washy for my tastes.

slightly stronger contrast between toys / performer and backdrop in some cases could have improved visability of tricks. Especially some of your siteswap stuff Will - its really impressive, but has more impact when the viewer can really track the balls.

but these are minor - overall I really liked it. Awesome pacing too.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure Will used a tripod... well he did for the parts i saw filmed.

Love the finished video smile!! Pitty about the french dude in it though... ce la vie. *wink*

Also loved Doug's face in it!

I'll buy you a hoegaarden and some crack tomorrow...

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Thanks Alice, but I won't be there tomorrow. Going to a Jazz night with work instead, and I'm currently on a break from all things juggling related after completing and releasing this video.

re: Pyrolific...I did use a tripod for most of it, there were exceptions to this of course (sometimes you really can't set up a tripod in busy London streets without drawing attention to yourself). It was my first video and so I'm fairly clueless about Final cut pro etc. I made some of the clips lighter but that's about it. It's a learning process so I can probably delve more into this side if and when I make another.

Thanks for the comments though, it's comments like these that make all the hard work worth it smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
great video smile

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolific
Crits;
[...]
a bit of time working on colour correction / contrast in Final Cut - esspecially for some of the outdoor shooting, was a lttle washy for my tastes.

slightly stronger contrast between toys / performer and backdrop in some cases could have improved visability of tricks. Especially some of your siteswap stuff Will - its really impressive, but has more impact when the viewer can really track the balls.

but these are minor - overall I really liked it. Awesome pacing too.
[...]

let me add some crit

if you show shots of a city such as london you can easily make people fall asleep by using long shots only. well not entirely true, if they're extremely well framed it is quite interesting but it is very difficult to achieve that so I wouldn't recommend you doing that. instead try a mixture of different shot sizes - use some close ups of an interesting building or people walking around, show some pidgeons eating the tourists' rubbish - it's stuff like that that actually creates what people call an "atmosphere".

as for the juggling parts themselves - you very often cut their legs/feet. doesn't look too nice so pay more attention to that next time wink

besides that - plenty of nice things in it, so keep going

absolutely random hasselhoff gif WATCH OUT

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: duvan (1227051223)
EDIT_REASON: sorry I just felt like adding some hassle

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: duvan
let me add some crit

if you show shots of a city such as london you can easily make people fall asleep by using long shots only. well not entirely true, if they're extremely well framed it is quite interesting but it is very difficult to achieve that so I wouldn't recommend you doing that. instead try a mixture of different shot sizes - use some close ups of an interesting building or people walking around, show some pidgeons eating the tourists' rubbish - it's stuff like that that actually creates what people call an "atmosphere".

as for the juggling parts themselves - you very often cut their legs/feet. doesn't look too nice so pay more attention to that next time wink

besides that - plenty of nice things in it, so keep going

I'm utterly bored of the MTV style of videos, so many juggling videos these days seem to be heavily edited together, this distracts away from some of the skill of the performer, but the but in my opinion it's far more difficult to actually get a good run of tricks on video. Fair enough, I could have filmed everyone and slapped them together in 3-4 second shots or however long the tricks last. I don't like that style of video making, and I had no intention of making that kind of video (my previous video was made in the MTV style). Also with it being a long video, it made sense to me to have a fair few long shots in there. The new Bond film for example has so many shots that are so short, it's very difficult to understand what on earth is going on. That is not great film making/editing in my opinion.

Thanks for the link to the shot sizes, good stuff smile

Re: cutting people's feet off. I can kind of understand what you're saying, but people who watch juggling videos tend to prefer seeing the juggling pattern, rather than people's feet. I'll try to pay more attention to that next time smile

Please no more Hoff wink Cheers.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
hey hex,

I'm not saying you have to go for MTV style. All I'm saying is that your shot sizes should vary. It is entirely up to you what rhythm you then use for your editing. By "long" shots I didn't mean shots that last very long but a specific shot size grin

Besides that I haven't seen a single spinning/juggling video in "good" MTV style. I am still waiting for that to happen. Oh wait I made one a while ago ^^

As for the cutting off: I'd suggest you move farther back from the person you are filming so that you have the entire body as well as plenty of space above them. Sure, jugglers wanna see the trick (and so do amateurs like me) but it looks even better if you can see the entire body.

Ok, no more Hoff frown
grin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
10 out of 10 on that video. clap

I'm actually likin' the whole "washed out" effect as it matches what we colonials then to view London as, the fabled London fog and all. It's a stereotype, but what the hey.

It looked great when blown up full screen, is that a function of the file sharing site you used, or editing ? I can't say I've seen too much of that type of quality on YouTube and as much as I appreciate Dailymotion for that quality, it just streams too slowly.

Originally Posted By: duvanOk, no more Hoff

Thank you...I may have suffered irreparable psychological damage grin

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
dual response here...duvan, looking back at the bits i cut people's feet off, I wasn't actually able to move/zoom back any further frown there was either a wall or road in the way etc. That hoff, is seriously wrong! laugh3

Stout, cheers, i didn't think the full screen version was as good, but I had been watching the original 635Mb on my laptop before putting it online, I couldn't work out how to get it down to as close to 500 Mb, to fit on vimeo. Yeah youtube seriosuly sucks when compared to vimeo...there are some great HD vids on that site, I've just gotta get my arse out and get an HD camera now smile smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Blue light hunterGOLD Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
I have nothing to say about the video apart form i love it. I quit liked the thrown together style, i liked the tube links and i enjoyed the fact that it looked like someone had filmed their mates and made a really nice vid out of it.
What ever you were 'going for' i don't know, i don't much care, i just watched it and felt all refreshed. Cheers for that, now I'm off to get a cool drink to watch it again with.

There are three rules about the monkey in the cage. The first is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage”. The second is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage!!!”
The third is not to feed him after midnight or ever get him wet......

MeanieSnowplow
18 posts

Posted:
Loved the vid. Personally I dislike the fact everything has to be overproduced nowadays. So the less of that and the more personality, the more I will enjoy watching it, for whatever that is worth tongue2

Fire + Idiot * wind - brains = Oops²

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
outtakes video is here - https://www.vimeo.com/2455979

featuring Rob Bluecat with his kick-arse poi.

a full description is on the vimeo page.
Thanks for the comments smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblove

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Very very cool man. You guys are amazing!

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

HOP Newsletter