Forums > Social Chat > Nick Woolsey (playpoi.com) workshops in Brighton and Bristol

Login/Join to Participate

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey of Play Poi is coming to the U.K

For those of you who do not know Nick, he is one of the most experienced poi teachers around, and has travelled all over the world teaching and practising the art of poi. Maybe you know his Video "Scales of poi"?

Nick advises to watch the following if you would like to come to the workshop: https://playpoi.com/overview-of-the-basics

On the 1st and the 2nd November Nick Woolsey is running a workshops Brighton. Venue is the Manor on Manor Road but places must be booked in advance.

Saturday 1st November :
Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 1)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 1)

Advanced b group: 5-7pm (fully booked).

Sunday 2nd November :

Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 2)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 2)

Advanced b group: 5-7pm (fully booked).

On the 8th and 9th of November workshops will be held in Bristol and running by the same order.

Fees are £40 for both days (2x2h) or £25 (2h) for one.

Places are limited to 15 so please book soon if you would like to secure a place.

There will be a poiparty in the evening (fire if weather allows) and possibly a performance by Nick.

you can contact: info@poipartout.com for bookings or more info.

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Workshops are starting tommorow, exciting !!! whistle
Just an update for those coming: Please arrive 15 minutes before the time. The 37 and 37B bus go straight from train-station to Manor Road where the workshop will be be taking place at the Manor. BN25EE.

Also you can bring friends to the after party, we have a big Hall inside and big outdoor space for doing fire. But please let me know who you are bringing so we have an idea of numbers.... Party will be from 7-10pm but there are many other things going on in Brighton for those who want to continue partying.

Everyone should bring some food and drink ( enough for 1 person) but we can then share things.

All we have to create now is lovely dry weather cool

See you all very very soon..........

Highway HannaSILVER Member
Rubbertramp
11 posts

Posted:
Wish he would come to the US though I can't blame anyone for not wanting to come here, the states suck right now!

Your vibe attracts your tribe.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I think Nick is still banned from the US for a while yet...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Doh!! I knew I should have checked the forums earlier!!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SkattoDoh!! I knew I should have checked the forums earlier!!

If you are still interested in having another workshop with Nick he is still doing part 2 of a monday evening workshop that might have a space left or get in contact with poipassion who are organizing this. Let me know if you want to do it....

Highway HannaSILVER Member
Rubbertramp
11 posts

Posted:
Banned in the US? For what?

Your vibe attracts your tribe.

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
He intended to hold workshops in the US and did not have a work permit. So he was banned before even holding the workshops upon crossing the border when his plans were found out.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's unusual... There's a special tax bracket, similar to withholding tax here in NZ, that covers artists, sportpeople and publilc speakers, allowing them to conduct seminars and workshops without a workpermit as such, but still paying taxes of course.

It's quite a different concept to workign for wages or salary, unless the workshops werre back-to-back for several weeks, in which case it may be viewed as fulltime work.

Unless it has changed recently... Any US citizens able to expand on this?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
There's a story about it on his Playpoi website Charles - it's got not much to do with tax from memory and more about making a false declaration on entry (i.e. he didn't realsie he had to say he was entering under category "x" and when they found out when he was exiting they threw the book at him.

PS - I have photo's somwhere of the "unwrapping" of the balloon-wrapped-chocolate but I've lost your e-mail address to send them 2 u - can you pm it across pls senor? ta very hard

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
anyone here intending to go to his costa rica retreat at la escuela del sol?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Shouldn't this entire thread be in the Events section, not chat?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....