Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Barefoot is best!
I’m afraid I have some bad news for you: You walk wrong.

Look, it’s not your fault. It’s your shoes. Shoes are bad. I don’t just mean stiletto heels, or cowboy boots, or tottering espadrilles, or any of the other fairly obvious foot-torture devices into which we wincingly jam our feet. I mean all shoes. Shoes hurt your feet. They change how you walk. In fact, your feet—your poor, tender, abused, ignored, maligned, misunderstood feet—are getting trounced in a war that’s been raging for roughly a thousand years: the battle of shoes versus feet.

want want want!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Those five-fingers are freakishly comfortable..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to find a stockist in Australia, but I think I'm going to need to order them online which I don't like doing for things I need sizes for frown

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've always prefered walking barefoot, now I know why!

Those shoes look fantastic! (link for UK people below).

I just wish I could afford a pair!

UK stockist

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ubblol i just googled for almost 10minutes trying to find a stockist in australia.. only after giving up did i realise im currently in the UK..

its *so* tempting.. but £70 for a pair of shoes is a *lot*

i guess theyre not going anywhere, so i can procrastinate for a while tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i wanted to get some of these a while back and i really like the idea, someone pointed out though that because everyone's feet, and toes, are different shapes they might be uncomfortable for some, especially for my super special shaped toes and if the case for my pocket ubbrollsmile

but i still want some biggrin

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I wonder how thick the sole is and how long it'll actually last if you wear them as everyday shoes? If they'd last a while I might give them a try.

Though I'm a bit "meh" about the "antimicrobial microfiber" - what's an antimicrobial microfiber? (and do I want it on my skin?)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
It's fiber that's so intensely micro, even the microbes, who until now have cornered the Being Micro sector, get embarrassed and go away.

I dunno, I'd have to try one of those Fivefingers things, or at least see them in person... They do not look very nice to me from the pictures.

In the past I've made a sort of half-sandal for when the ground starts getting really cold, basically a single layer of thin leather for the "sole" not extending to the toes, and leather straps criss-crossing the top and behind the heel; conforms nicely, feels good, rugged, and all that jazz.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Rougie just has a crush on the inventor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Why hello there mr inventor dude!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ooooh. Nice inventor. I'm just a bit unimpressed with all the antimicrobial hype. It's automatic for my job (toxicology, including that of "antibacterial particles").

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

Rougie just has a crush on the inventor.

Woah! I do now! ubblol ubblol

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I've got a few mates with those 'shoes'. they love em.

I also am concerned about how long they would last tho.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :rougie

You walk wrong

actually, no I don't. pogo's foot at last weekend's doof:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2513669806_27e679d02e.jpg?v=0

I walk around barefooted almost EVERYWHERE, including at work; although the OH&S nazis have cracked down now, so I've relented somewhat and wear the five-fingers around the office. also had them at the doof, cos there were sharp, prickly things everywhere.

I dunno about longevity, cos while I've had them maybe 6 months, I haven't worn them very much in that time; they have been my full-time shoe (when I wear any) for the last couple months, though.

I've always had a lot of trouble with my knees (ITBS) and can't walk for long periods without a lot of pain; but I've had to walk 3kms home from the train station quite a number of times in recent weeks and haven't had any trouble at all; so, I reckon they're a miracle.

***hmmm... couldn't make the image embed thingie work... stupid image embed thingie... so I've url'd it, instead*

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The first thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes. I also take off my shoes often during meetings at work (I wear slip-on loafers). I notice I'm the only one who does it quite often. And I've always been this way, at least for the adult life that I can recall.

So I guess I'm a barefoot sort of guy. But it has never occurred to me to walk barefoot outside unless I just need to step out onto the porch or driveway for a sec and grab something. And I usually regret it because I tend to step on small stones.

But my problem is that I don't like having anything constricting on my feet, which is why I like sandals.

So maybe I have to check these things out. I wonder if I can get the inventor's number... ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
whoah weird. they look like frogfeet. surely they wouldn't last long..

and petey *slaphead* ubblol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
a bunch of mates have them

I however remain unconvinced. the surfaces we've built aren't conducive to going barefoot (ask a lifeguard at a pool)

and i prefer walking around barefoot

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Josh and Pogo, where did they/you get them? Ordered online or is there a stockist around the traps?

What do they feel like around your toes? I'm concerned they'd feel all icky and not fit different toe sizes.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
online, rougie... I couldn't find a local stockist and I've found with such things (like books amongst others) that it's usually cheaper most of the time to order something yourself from the U.S than to purchase similar locally.

kk, fitting... they took a lil getting used to and the toe size thing is an issue for me, cos my 2nd toes are the type that are longer than my big toe. they are NOT designed for feet such as mine, although the difference is not great in my case and I don't find them uncomfortable. the sizing chart (can't remember where I saw it) is designed for people with "normal" feet, wherein the big toe protrudes furthest.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
According to the website, it takes 2 weeks for them to feel comfortable and the right size, and in the meantime you should just plaster up the sore spots
eek that's a bit long... if a shoe said that on the package, I'd so buy something else. Even the worst tales I've heard of flip-flop sores between the toes were only one week... (btw would they take them back and refund the money if you'd been wearing them for 2 weeks with sweat and sore bits and stretching the material and they still didn't fit right? Hmmmmmmm...)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Where did it say that? Under the FAQs it says
 Written by : FAQs

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET USED TO FIVEFINGERS?
Depending on usage and break in, it can happen extremely rapidly, usually within a few days.

That's less time than it takes for hiking boots to wear in!

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
I reckon it took me about a week... and yes, I did use bandaids across the top/front of my left foot in that period.

I have mixed feelings about the necessity of that breaking in period. I was willing to endure it, in the interest of long-term foot, knee, leg and associated health; plus... I really don't like wearing shoes and sometimes the surface on which I walk, precludes the use of bare feet (thanks, idiots that think it's fun to break glass bottles on footpaths etc).

but then, the perfectionist in me (yes, there is one, but I'm good at hiding it) has to ask if it's not possible, in this modern, hi-tech day and age, to build a shoe that has the health friendly properties of the five fingers, while fitting comfortably, straight outta the box...?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Vibram? FiveFingers?

All sounds rather....adult. *smirk*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
oi, Flash! You're a mod! Report yourself! spank

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
*chuckle* ... good point though... perfect for the joint shoe and foot fetishist...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Look better than those bloody awful Crocs anyway. I tried them on once for about 5 mins.

That would blow them away at work, turning up in a pair of them! They look half amphibian. I just had a longer look at the site and they look great! Anyone know if its worth gettin the ones with straps (sprint) or the classic, without straps? Or the KSO that covers the whole foot? The sprint comes in red which is a definite advantage!

Wow thanks for posting, these are nuts! I might get some, I'm really tired of sore feet/knees/hips! These are apparently marketed at groovy fit young folk, but they could be even more important for oldies like me. Non conservative oldies like me who would be prepared to go the shopping centre/work with feet like a frog!

But do I have to canyoneering and stuff eek

Can I just wear them to pootle about? That's my main sport.. non-competitive pootling...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Me, I'm happy in things like these. Flimsy soles that are just enough to protect your feet while still allowing all the irregularitoes of the ground to come through, wide at the toe so your feet can spread properly, and cheap as chips so you don't much care that they wear out in not long. (Oh, and machine washable too)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
the real question is, whether or not I can catch a ball on my feet whilst wearing them...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i just spent most of the weekend barefoot, squishing in marshes and moss and dusty paths and lush green grass..and rivers... i love festival season! ubbrollsmile

these look quite cool, but i think id want to try out how they feel on my feet before purchasing.

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://anthropik.com/2007/06/learning-to-walk/

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Rougie, yes they are stocked at several shops in Adelaide. Howevever, I think they are much cheaper on the w/site.

I really like the classic black ones, and I'd get the toe socks to match. My students'd have a good laf at that.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Page: