ReivaXGOLD Member
27 posts

Posted:
hi, i'm wondering if any of you guys knew a school of something like that where you could actually study poi proffessionaly? i just feel so good with them, make me feel alive!

i'm sorry if the topic has been created, haven't seen any other one with same title in the search...

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I've never heard of anything like it, but I guess it may come under a circus art.. start there?

But why are you looking for a school? I'd say that in a lot of areas, it is very hard to earn and live off poi spinning.

A lot of time, you can learn for free from professionals at a gathering near you, and just once or twice a week.
If you wanted lessons and wanted to learn fast, if you contact a troupe near you, you could come up with an arrangement to pay for tuition, I'm sure.

ReivaXGOLD Member
27 posts

Posted:
yeah i thought about it as well. so i might arrange with the girl i bought my poi from to give me some poi lessons if she doens't mind, thought i was wondering if there were any koind of instutition where you could learn it properlly, know what i mean?

travelling might be the key in fact, and that's what i intend to do

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
When you say "professionally" do you mean that literally or just as in "to a very good level"

Nat is right - there's plenty of circus schools where you can get degrees/diplomas from, though these usually (always?) cover more than just one prop.

If you just want to get really good - get out there, learn of as many people as you can, attend some proper workshops and/or classes and even book private lessons with some good spinners.
Then practise.
Lots.
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

ReivaXGOLD Member
27 posts

Posted:
thank you, that's another thing i love about the poi world, it's all about meeting new people and sharing! i'll get out there, after australia, i'm planning to go in thailande, sounds like fun!

thanks

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Not many circus schools teach poi. There are some people at CircoArts in NZ this year who are pretty good and no doubt they are playing a lot; but as usual, teaching each other.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
There seems to be some schools in the Sanfrancisco area (at least accorting to the internet). I know it's a long way from you (and me too!), but if you're interested it might be worth it. Temple of Poi teaches beginner, intermediate and advanced classes in flowology (their term, not mine), which is basically how to dance fluidly with your poi. I don't know much else about them though, as I am not about to go that far west any time soon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Do some research on Temple of Poi if you're even considering that, to many it's not the way to go...

(That's me being diplomatic)
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
You know I didn't see the multitudinous posts on the subject until after I'd already posted. And short of saying that I am a bit crestfallen I won't say anymore on the subject.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Silk_the_Elf

There seems to be some schools in the Sanfrancisco area

if your willing to goto san-fran kinda area, spinagogue crew are just over the bridge in oakland and also do travel around the U.S giving workshops

https://www.spinagogue.net/

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and, as you're in australia, there is the rather lovely ub3rOz smile

which sadly i won't be at this year either frown

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ReivaXGOLD Member
27 posts

Posted:
ub3rOz? who/what/where is it?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hahah, I just went to copy the link for you and found you already were there wave

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ReivaXGOLD Member
27 posts

Posted:
yeps, research on the website is quite usefull.. i know i read it somewhere, somehow...

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
A good thing to do (don't know if you're already done it)
is to advertise your travel plans in the travel part of hop and then friendly spinners will all gather around you and teach you at each place smile