jesiramounBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
hi!

i'd like to know if there's anyone here on earth that's making--or has made--a RESEARCH PAPER about poi in relation to physics?--motion, velocity, mass, etc(i mean, after all, spinning poi is physics).

i'd like to know where i can read about such please.

do you any links to such?

it would really be of great help.

cheers! biggrin

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
newtonian circular motion is a good place to start.. its not exactly poi, but its pretty relevant smile

hug:

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
NYC did a blurb about it a while back.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Or take it as a paper to write yourself!

I know I have more fun on assignments where I actually care about the topic!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
basically a poi is a pendulum that is free to move under gravity in 3 dimensions, (spherical pendulum) your hand will provide a driving force of some kind so the basic mechanical system to read about is a driven spherical pendulum...
try searching for spherical pendulum in google if you want to know more...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Also enjoy a 'centripetal' googlism maybe. Sorry if this obvious.

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
Regarding physics, I'm not certain what you want to know. The act of spinning poi is basic physics and mechanics (and math).

It would cover:
Gravity
Torque
Centripetal acceleration
Motion/rotation of mass (cubic figure) about an external point
Bodies in motion
Speed of rotation
Moment of inertia

Poi components would consider length of chain, the size and weight of the poi (and drag due to fire - minimal), and applied force.

It’s interesting to observe performers spinning poi. When their lines are oblique to their body and the ground most likely they are applying force throughout the spin - meaning they are not allowing gravity to do its job. As a spinner, we only need to exert force to lift the poi. Once the poi reaches the apex of the spin/circle, allow gravity to guide the poi. Poi wants to fall parallel to your body following the same line of motion that lifted it.

It would be cool to see some graphics on this. Guidelines parallel to the axis of the chain, with a right angle at the poi’s center of mass, and tangent angles identifying loss of energy/applied force. weavesmileyFun stuff!

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
you should read up on uniform circular motion, wiki has some good info on it but i havnt seen anything that covers the fact that poi is a compound pendulum, an your gonna have to take gravtiy into account and air resistance will make a diffence cos poi aint really too aerodynamic and they move pretty fast to. and the poi wont have a fixed point of contact because your hand will move. and things will start to get really complicated when you attatch a tail or start burning fuel or do a weave or an isolation or...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
[Old link]
EDITED_BY: Gnor (1204934183)

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
and since it's a thread others might be interested in, I'll copy and paste the e-mail reply I sent you:

I think your best bet is to ask Nick Woolsey at Playpoi.com. Nick has spent a lot of time "playing" and analyzing movement including poi movement:
https://www.playpoi.com/poi_mystery
https://www.playpoi.com/poi_yoga_motor_skills
https://www.playpoi.com/SPIn
and I understand he wrote an article about this for a physics journal one time.

my 2c worth. ubbrollsmile

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I remember when you got two lollies for 2c.

Is it the Truth?

baby_bear237BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
This is so funny...

I'm re-applying to UW-Madison in the spring to study Physics. Not so long ago, I actually had the idea of doing my thesis on the fundamental and applied physics of poi.

What I find facinating about the topic is its encompassing nature; that is, the number of mechanisms behind spinning fire poi (in particular) is astounding.

The basic laws of motion play the most obvious role, as the poi and its user go through an incredible amount of energy exchange. The poi themselves are propelled and maintained by specific forces, including those that "hinder" its movement (i.e. gravity, air resistance, friction in the chain and handles, etc.). But that's just the beginning.

With fire poi, the study is extended to thermal dynamics. Energy released from the wick is affected not only by the amount of fuel, but the speed of the wick, and perhaps noticibly by atmospheric conditions such as barometric pressure and humidity.

And finally, along with these various objects of study, the incorporation of these mechanisms into the specific rhythms of poi patterns create a symphony of seperate, oscillating physical systems all within a specific segment of space and time.

To summarize, even though fire poi looks really, REALLY pretty, how it works may be even more intricately beautiful.

Wish me luck...I'm not back in school yet. :P

"I wanted to interact, to be more active than passive...I guess I spent all my time watching the music."