HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's the deal. I have two 4ft staves made from seemingly good hard wood. Fact is one has allready cracked on the end from throws. I think I've heard using wood glue is good for structural integrity (on the ends). I guess what im asking...or what I want to know is two things. What can I do to make the ends better next time (or this time). Perhaps hollowing out the ends and putting (screwing maybe) some kind of metal in for contact as well, or maybe cutting 6 inches off and screwing some kind of foreign peice of some sort.

What I need is some kind of crazy german ubbloco German's think of allsorts of crazy great stuff ubbidea Look at the printing press for example absoulute madness.

Anyway I also want to attatch some grips. Electrical tape is the best I can think of, but Im open to better ideals. Maybe someway to attatch the center piece from the contact staff HOP sells.

Oh while im writing this " Does anyone know how to rewick those kinds of staves WELL?!?!" Metal that is. Im thinking why buy a nice metal type one if when it needs rewicked its ; 1 crazy hard ; 2 loose and crappy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
For the damage reduction, coat the end of the staff in superglue, then insert it into a barrel of springs. biggrin

For the grips - electrical tape is a big no-no - its vinal and not grippy (in my opinion) - go for tennis/squash racket handle grips, or hockey stick etc etc etc.

looking_for_lightnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
yeah,a friend of mine made a staff with grip that's normally used for tennis rackets,i think. it's brilliant stuff-incredibly grippy,you feel like your hands are glued to the staff. great for contact.although,i guess,it depends on the brand of the grip,etc.
anyway, electrical tape,which i still use,is rubbish in comparison:]

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it takes some experimenting to find the griop you want as well. They sell packs of 10 grips for about 10 bucks. They are very thin, and dont have adhesive on either side. Generally they don't last long but work well and are cheap. then you can get the ones that are 7-10 bucks a piece, generally thicker and last longer but it's not always the case.

My favorite company is Babolat, they know what they are doing.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Ok, I guess I'll hit up the local sporting goods store. If anyone comes up with an idea for the ends, or would like to adress the metal staff issue please post it for anyone else that has this kind of interest.

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
how about something like this, i used them on a wooden staff and it works ok, only downside is that it adds abit of weight.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
You use those for fire staff? They are rubber. They deffinately look good for practice though. I will look into that. Then maybe have some nice ones to perform with. Thanks!

1,972 posts

Posted:
oh soz, yeah not for fire staff but good for practice and...walking sticks.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
and crutches.

(i was gonna suggest those too but then realized he was talking about a fire staff.......hahah im so much smarter then you FTaG :P)

*walks away singing*

I am so smart,
I am so Smart,
s-m-r-t

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

1,972 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, well if your so smart then how come your so dumb? and if you where smart you would click on this [Old link]... wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i already told you, i dont play.but since you put that link...it means you lose right.....that is where that link goes eh?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

1,972 posts

Posted:
you would know...(about the link)

oh and offtopic i'de report you if it werent for the fact that i'de be putting myself in the......poo... umm

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
7/8" aluminum tube is my ideal size. If you can find it with a really thick wall, even better. Has anyone tried the fishing weights in the ends?

biggrin

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

shaddownewbie
11 posts

Posted:
please tell me that there are better staff makers in the world than that fag at gooble wrming. What kind of a wank job puts oil on a staff outside of the grip area. Point one there are more grip positions on a staff than in the centre and some techniques require an off centre grip. Point two if the screws aren't placed symetrically on the staff it won't be balanced properly, call me a perfectionist but atleast I used to make professional grade staffs. Point three, the retard thinks that you can only do contact on a ridiculasly long staff. To any one that agrees with him on that go watch the baton twirling championships on you tube there doing it on tiny 50-60 cm staffs and I do it on 1m staffs.

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Oh my, that wasnt very nice. Lets keep the complaining in the social forum. If you were a professional you could definately answear my questions, or at least talk about making a staff. Not comming out of nowhere to bash someone offtopic

For example I did find a way to rewick a aluminum staff. 1 wrap one layer of wicking 2 screw it on 3 sew the rest on.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Faust

Ok, here's the deal. I have two 4ft staves made from seemingly good hard wood. Fact is one has allready cracked on the end from throws. I think I've heard using wood glue is good for structural integrity (on the ends). I guess what im asking...or what I want to know is two things. What can I do to make the ends better next time (or this time). Perhaps hollowing out the ends and putting (screwing maybe) some kind of metal in for contact as well, or maybe cutting 6 inches off and screwing some kind of foreign peice of some sort.

What I need is some kind of crazy german ubbloco German's think of allsorts of crazy great stuff ubbidea Look at the printing press for example absoulute madness.

Anyway I also want to attatch some grips. Electrical tape is the best I can think of, but Im open to better ideals. Maybe someway to attatch the center piece from the contact staff HOP sells.

Oh while im writing this " Does anyone know how to rewick those kinds of staves WELL?!?!" Metal that is. Im thinking why buy a nice metal type one if when it needs rewicked its ; 1 crazy hard ; 2 loose and crappy

Dunno whether I can be of much help, being German and completely sane wink rolleyes bounce

If you wrap your wodden pole into an aluminium pipe (best is to find the pipe with the 'perfect' diameter first and then buy the corresponding pole, hammering the wood into the pipe), you will get the most from both:

Aluminium protects the wood from heat and flame, wood gives the pipe more integrity against bending. I'm having my staffs for years, extreme high throwing and missing, high velocity spinning and missing - still no bends in the staff.

I know you CAN bend even these staffs, but the likelihood is scarce.

As for handle I suggest rubbertube and tennis handle tape on top.

Not sure whether I can follow the rest of this thread. If any questions, pls PM.

smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink