Forums > Advanced Staff moves > advanced staff juggling ... let´s go mad !!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I think its time to restart the staff juggling thread in the advanced forum.

Since quite a few ideas were mentioned in the old thread that don`t seem to really fit in a beginners section.

I would really appreciate if people would post there ideas.
But do me a favor and make a distinction between claiming
to really have a move and random ideas.
it will help reduce misunderstandings
wink
And it will give us a better over view where people are.

To get you started :
I was playing around with a lot of 531522 variations

one is (i think) quite interesting
you know the one throw were you throw a staff as a waist cross and catch it with the other hand on the opposite side of the waist
use it as the 3
it is fun biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
awesome,
this is what i look like, give me a kick up the ass if you see me
https://www.jugglinginferno.com/pyromania_gallery.asp
i look forward too seeing the mess!

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
ace, yeah, i remember what you look like. you still got the white van? are there any other staff vids you know of apart from that all staff and majoretttes?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

NikoFLOWnewbie
27 posts

Posted:
Short clip of 5 staffs clock tower + Basic passing

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
nice one

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
2 weeks of not juggling is not good for juggling.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
and neither is an old shoulder injury reappearing 2 days before i go to bjc, with it only going to get worse too :-(

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
to the thread....ive heard rumours of a russian staff juggler performing a reverse five staff cascade at the ejc does anyone know more??
i found a small piece of footage showing him juggle six staffs in the wheel plane but nothing in the wall plane

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^um - please post this vid??

I've not been posting because Ive been mainly working on my Masters - which is finished now. I've also been working on the clubs wall plane fwd and rvs cascade in preparation, I can nearly do a 'logic' pattern with clubs. I figure when I get this right the sticks should be an easy transfer.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Ive lost it..
grrrr

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
I've heard of some guy juggling 5 or 7 staffs in ejc too.
His staffs seem to be very light, with no heads
and he's from Moscow.
That person must be real
EDITED_BY: Konstantin (1252234077)

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
OK, there's his video
enjoy

EDITED_BY: Konstantin (1251830521)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
nice work on finding the video , ive been looking for it for ages now.
most of his routine is in the wheel plane and whilst very good it isnt of huge interest to me from a pesonal view, the four staff shower and five staff reverse cascade however are much more interesting.....

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
a short bit of me performing with 3 staffs at the bjc 2009

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
anyone working on 4 staffs a the moment?
I qualified a reverse fountain yesterday and a shower a few weeks ago.
there seems to be heaps of things that can be done with all the multiplex possibilities. Some really pretty patterns of 4 staffs in the air rotating in parallel. Would be keen to see how other people are approaching it ^_^

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
I had to stop traninig the fourstaff shower because i was an idiot and injured my shoulder by not looking after it properly frown

DaGGOLD Member
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tim_marstonI had to stop traninig the fourstaff shower because i was an idiot and injured my shoulder by not looking after it properly frown

yea, its a dodgy one! when I was just training the shower I started to fear that my right shoulder would get huge and my left stay puny. Making me look like a tosser. tongue2

I really recommend trying reverse fountain. I am still no good at it but it actually works, its much easier than the shower, much less hectic and you just have to train 2 in one hand then 2 in the other. ^_^

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
I decided to stop juggling with more than three staffs now.
I'm just working on lots of triples variations and combos. Its great fun and I my shoulders don't complain. smile

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:

here' a short vid of a few tricks,

i agree with the four staff reverse fountain over shower, been practicing 441 to improve it. i don need to shorten my sticks to do four easie tho.

i'm looking for feedback and am not adverse to recieving critisism..

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Hiya love.
Nice work fella.
The most obvious piece of feedback I could give you is to stop learning new tricks and concentrate on getting the ones you have learnt a lot cleaner.
Good effort! smile

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
so no hi lows or backcrosses then frown
actually not learning those two is quite appealing, smile

cheers

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
hi lows?

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
(4x2)

syncronous throws, 1/2 spin to same hand, 1 1/2 spin crossing.

i can't run it, just get them on every other. hi lo, juggle, juggle, hi lo, juggle, juggle.

i use reverse throws for the crossing ones.

its hard, and i'm glad you've told me not to learn anything new smile

i bought some grips for my sticks today too smile
EDITED_BY: ethnobot (1259330835)

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
little bit of practice and managed to run the above pattern, (4x2) from .22 - .32

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Ive been on a no-new trick ban for ages now,
if i find a new trick i want to learn i bank it away for future use
when Ive got all my current tricks clean enough to perform i will start on some from the bank but that could be a year away!

DaGGOLD Member
156 posts

Posted:
I Love that trick Ethnobot!

Tim- I agree with what you are saying but personally I need to play and jam to keep myself interested in a prop.
So usually I have some time where I drill then time where I just play and experiment.

There is a good drilling technique where you practice a pattern until you can get a run of 500 throws.
It means that, not only do you get the sequence solid, but you have to overcome boredom and fatigue at around the 300 and 400 throws mark.
Its also a nice concrete goal to aim for. The cleanest jugglers I know use this... but I'm too lazy tongue2

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
i can't imagine not attempting a new trick if i think of one.. i'm a 3 ball juggler really, and if i didn't keep doing different things, i would have given up years ago!
i'm fortunate to be a student/gardener, and not relying on juggling for money..
i try for 100 throws of staff patterns, and push for 1000 throws with other props (3 objects) if/when i train. 80 repetitions (2 hands = 160) is meant to be enough for 'muscle memory' to store the movements.
tim, how do you 'bank' tricks away? do you write them down? this technique shows in your juggling, solid as!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Yo!
I guess it depends what you want from a prop/juggling
Whilst I do enjoy creating new tricks the feeling of getting a trick really clean beats that feeling a thousand times over.

Also I charge a lot of money for my performances and feel I should repay the (repeated) trust my client and audience put in me by putting on the best show I can and maintaining a constant them of improvement. This means spending the majority of my time on getting tricks clean rather than creating new ones. I have performed my 25 minute solo show drop free a few times and this is one of the best feelings I could possibly hope to get from my juggling and spurred me on to aim for even more.

I still don't consider myself to be anywhere near perfectly clean so I have a long way to go. I do however have two new sections of tricks with three staffs that will hopefully be in the show within the next year.

Regarding the number of catches, i try to go for 50 clean. Any more feels counterproductive to me but I think this is totally different for every juggler.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
yeah, 50 is enough, the injury chances/fatigue after that are much higher.

a point i need to make is that so far i have juggled staffs on fire 3 times now (i think..) this is where cleanness makes a big, big difference to both your personal safety and audience enjoyment.
it is so much harder! i could do french/normal cascade, a few rounds of reverse cascade and a few rounds of mess, before having to drop back into spinning again to collect my thoughts and cool my arms/hands, and to get some oxygen! and coincidentally, these are the patterns i've been practicing for a year now, the other, more recent patterns (under 6 months) didn't even come into my mind.

25 mins drop free? wow! i appretiate you'll stop occasionally but, still, wow!
hats off to you fire jugglers!!

DaGGOLD Member
156 posts

Posted:
clap 25 mins drop free is hardcore!

I tried the 500 catches the other night and it was much too extreme! cause staff juggling throws are higher than clubs/ balls it takes forever to get 100 of catches!
Part of the huge number is so that you go into fatigue and boredom so the pattern is that much more concrete and ingrained in your muscle memory.

I think I'm going to set my sights on 100 throws ATM, but weill probably be back on here tomorrow cutting that number down again tongue2

Props again on 25 mins drop free!

Page: ......