Forums > Social Chat > Starlight Lola the bushbashing EK1 & Kit the Amazing Magic Statue Cat

Login/Join to Participate

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hi all, just wanted to share a photo with everyone!

Took my car out bush on the weekend.. had a camping (read: front seats folded down, double mattress in the back.. for couple days) type weekend at a friend's property in woop woop. Saturday night after festivities wound down a bit, I made my way to my car to put my cameras away, and get something to drink from the esky.

Stopped to look up and the moon was full and bright. I leaned back onto the front passenger side panel, took in the moon for a bit, and this cat walks past my feet (I'm in the middle of a paddock on a 27 acre property.. the house is at least a hundred metres away.. the cat had to put in some effort to come out there..), jumps onto the front bar, then takes a seat on the bonnet and looks at the moon with me (!). Thought it was pretty cool and wondered whether I should just appreciate the moment or take out a camera and try to get a shot of it and probably scare the kitty away in the process (camera was deep down in a bag, in front of the passenger seat, which was folded down with a mattress on top and an esky behind it.. would be a mission to get it..).

So I watch the moon and marvel at how many stars woop woop gets to see every night.. And I think well, cat's still here, I'll try for the camera.. I manage to get the camera out, tripod out.. And fix it all up. But then it's too dark for a typical shot of anything living (only moonlight and starlight.. and I've never successfully taken a shot of anything that could breathe with an exposure longer than a second..)

I take a 25 second exposure and watch the cat crossing my fingers. omg. The thing didn't move at all! Didn't blink, didn't even move it's eyes..

Anyway.. nuff waffling, here's my Saturday night featuring Lola my bush-bashing EK1 (a starlight black pearl Honda Civic EK hatch under starlight's pretty special.. ubblove) and all 25 seconds of Kit the amazing magic statue cat.. biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So they arent bits of lint in the sky they are stars??!!??
hug hug hug You have lovely adventures Ry

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Phwor! sweet Car Ry! I want one the same! smile

If its a night shot - how come you have your sunshade on?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
derr Josh - Ry's obviously been there since the day time, and after fetching many bevvies from the esky, he did the right thing and didnt drive anywhere.

--

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I had so much trouble reading your post Ry. Nice shot.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Poje: ubblol I'm assuming it's cos of the Aussie lexicon ubblol.. I'll translate..

Written by: Aussie to American

Took my wheels out to the boonies on the weekend.. had a camping (read: two days of front seats flipped down, makeshift double bed in the rear..) type weekend at a friend's ranch. Saturday night after festivities wound down a bit, I made my way to my car to keep my cameras away and grab to drink from the cooler.

Stopped to look up and the moon was awesome. I chilled for a minute leaning on the side of my car, spiritualized for a moment, and a cat walks right by the front of me (I'm in the middle of a field (like, left field, no pun intended. har!) on a 27 acre property.. the house is at least a hundred yards away.. the cat had to work it..), jumps up on the front bar, then gets cosy on the hood and watches the moon with me (!). I thought it was unusual and wondered if I should appreciate the moment or reach for a difficult-to-get-to camera to try to get a photo and definitely scare the little critter away in the process (getting the camera meant finding a bag in front of the front seat, which happened to be folded down with a mattress on top and a large portable chiller behind it.. you see the predicament).

So anyway. I watch the moon and marvel at how many stars the boondocks get on a nightly basis .. And the cat- it's still totally there. I'll try for the camera.. I somehow got the camera out, the tripod also.. And hastily put my equipment together. Then I figured it was way too dark for a typical shot of anything breathing (between moonlight and starlight.. I didn't have that much to work with. Not to mention the fact I've never successfully taken a shot of anything with a pulse using an exposure longer than a second..)

I continued on to take a 25 second exposure and watch the feline with my fingers crossed. The frickin' thing didn't move at all! Didn't as much as blink, nor did it even move its eyes..

Anyway.. enough of the rattling on. Here's my Saturday night, featuring Lola my dirt-kicking wilderness adventuring EK1 (a starlight black pearl Honda Civic EK hatchback under starlight's pretty special.. ) and all 25 seconds of Kit Extreme the awesome stone statue feline.

wink

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Gnor: Umm... no Gnor... they're bits of lint in the sky wink Thanks Gnor! I do have pretty nice adventures don't I.. smile hug

Josh: Thanks! A couple pics more just for you..

Non-Https Image Link

This was after I put in angel eye projectors I ebayed.. before I put in the foggies.

Non-Https Image Link

With foggies, but unlit.

Non-Https Image Link

And she's not too yuppie to go doofing (this one was on the way to SEQ Earthdance)..

Non-Https Image Link

..if you don't mind the cleanup ubblol wink

Yeah.. sunshade cos I was there for 2 days- daytime got pretty hot.. I slept car's nose east-facing, the sunshade gave me at least half an hour's more continuous sleep.. biggrin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
ubblove Sweet!

--

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Raindrops on windscreens and kitens on Lolas. Can you be my gift card photographer please Ry wink

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Gnor: Totally! Just made an announcement on myspace that I'm going to give this fulltime photography stuff a shot. Feel free to commission me! All I need is a work brief! biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
sqqqueeeeeeeee.......

I will ask a local card producer if he wants more shots. have no idea where he gets his library of shots from but its a poss hey. Its those $1 stands in the shops but it might be a start. A mate has just casually gone into the photo business and its taken off.

Her market currently is many of the mums at schools as she is brilliant with interesting kids shots. She isnt fulltime, at the moment its a hobby to pay for her hobby I beleive but its busy right now.

If you can handle kids ...... wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I love how this photo looks almost as if it's daytime.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thanks Gnor! Appreciated. smile

Doc: Yeah.. it's got a bit of a surreal feel. If I took a picture the way it looked on the night, you'd probably not realise the cat was a cat.. looked like an odd white triangle creature on the bonnet.. ubblol

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
wow, you could never keep my cats still for that long

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C