SonicalFlairBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Howdy all. Now, I know this looks like another monkey fist thread, but I feel like mine is tad different. Correct me if i'm wrong smile Your welcome to skip the next part and just look at the pretty pictures.

I'm looking to make a pair of monkey fist poi that doesn't contain any metal. I've seen and heard and played with pairs before ( so smooth! just like practice poi), but they usually don't last very long because the extra slack connecting the monkey fist to the rope wears out.
But, as an idea from someone, I extending some extra slack, hiding it in the monkey fist, leaving me three strands, in order to braid a stronger connection between the ball and connecting rope/handle.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I was looking to get some input or ideas for improvements before I actually start making them ( Kevlar rope is expensive frown ). Thanks!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Looks cool.
But won't that just mean that the weak point is moved up a little? Beacuse you will still need to attach the metel chain to the kevlar rope at some point?

I'm assuming you are going to attach chains to those, unless you are going to braid all the way up to the handle?

But yeah i may not compleatly understand they way your design works. It is a pretty neat idea though puting extra in side and then pulling it out.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

SonicalFlairBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Blueberry: Nope, no metal or chain anywhere. Ideally i'd only dip up to half the braided part (so to get that meteor and snakes look on fire), then just hold on to the single string part (as usual).

Plus, if I have too much braiding, that would be a lot of extra kevlar, eek.

thanks!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Cool design would you want more fore a larger handle, maybe a larger knot at the end or is that little knot good for you?

To address the weak point part, maybe you can find a fiber glass fabric tube that is about the same diameter as the rope wicking. Thread it over the piece of rope that will be your handle then use that excess loop the same way you did in the top picture to lock the fiberglass in place. Then you can use the top knot to keep it in place at the top. Most Kevlar does contain fiberglass, it has better heat tolerance, but it doesn't soak up fuel. It may do the trick to help protect the weak point by covering it. If you can get PBI fabric tubing it's good too.

I hope that makes sense, otherwise get enough rope to extend the braid all the way to your handle. It may make for a different feel but it'll prolong their life. Just make sure to only soak the head. :P

Good luck!
Cody

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada