roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody.

As some of you may or may not know. I'm studying Justice at Uni, and at the end of the year we have to do a 6 week unpaid placement in a workplace that is relevant to the Justice Field.

Customs/border security is where I was thinking but unfortunately they don't take work experience students in. Neither do the Dog Squad in the Police Force.

I'm really stuck for ideas and we need to be organising it within the next month or so.

I don't want to go into the courts because I'm not a fan of sitting doing paper work all day. Plus for some reason they only do work experience for 2 weeks. I'm more of a hands on type person.

I was thinking of animal rescue but it's not really relevant to the Justice field. I don't want to do Child Protection or Juvenille Justice because I know I'm not ready for that kind of environment. I'm only in first year.

Just after any suggestions because I'm totally stuck! Thanks guys smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I think that most places will have you doing the crappy mundane tasks like paperwork. It's usually what people do to the work experience kid.

You said the dog squad don't take students; but what about other departnments?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto It's true! Doesn't matter what you study, work experience placements always seem to be quite dull!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So where do you plan to work in the end?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I understand what you mean about doing all the crap jobs etc as a work experience 'kid'. But there is a difference between doing 5 days in year 10 and doing 6 weeks when you're at uni. There's been heaps of cases, particularly at my uni (don't mean to gloat!) that get offered part time work with places afterwards.

And Gnor, I have NO idea! The course is so broad it's not funny!

With the police force too, I'm not sure about other departments. I think there is a bit too much training and liability involved in the police so they'd be reluctant to take people.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was one of those lucky yr10 kids who got a wikkid placement! ubbrollsmile

if you're interested, maybe give them a shot to see what sort of training there'd be. If you can get some extra training done during your placement it will look all the better when you graduate!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah my year 10 placement was good. I did the clark of courts. And it wasn't doing paperwork or answering phones! This was before I'd even considered going into law related further education!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
haha nice!

Mine was as a journalist in one of the last 3 type-set newspapers in australia! I got to write articles from scratch; even including interviewing the people!!

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Unfortunately, I think that most places will have you doing the crappy mundane tasks like paperwork. It's usually what people do to the work experience kid.

Yup, my work placement was spent surfing the net for something interesting to do after uni, and photocopying stuff for the area manager.

It's just the way the cookie crumbles. Use that time to think long and hard about what direction you want your life to go.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, here the "dog squad" is sort of part of law enforcement. They need to get warrants to claim abused animals. There is a tip line. They go to court and testify...even if the placement isn't there...maybe they'll let you volunteer?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I did a newspaper placement, too. They even paid me, even though they were technically not allowed to, and kept me on as a freelance afterwards!

How about working for an MP, or a party office or something? That way you'll get to look into the process of making the laws.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Why are you doing Justice and where do you see yourself going? Chase a job from that aspect. It may help guide you in what to do. Go talk to 3rd years and letcherers about placements.
MP sounds a plan.

I did high school placement with a vet. I managed to pass out once and get kicked by a steer and watch the Vet move quicker than lightning when he got chased. biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu