Forums > Social Discussion > Criss Angel now at Cirque du Soleil

Login/Join to Participate

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I've just found out that Cirque du Soleil is producing a new show featuring Criss Angel link here.

I'm not sure about every one else, but personally I find C.A to be a prat and not deserving of a spot in a Cirque show (I'll admit he is a good showman and can present himself well, but I just don't like him)

Anyone else have any views on this?

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Hmmm will be interesting indeed.

Because, like you, while I acknowledge his skill, I think he's an arrogant wank, and I believe that Cirque shows aren't about one single performer, but everyone in the whole show (a champion team, not a team of champions) so as long as he is on equal terms with the other performers to bring about the whole show then I'm fine with it; but if there's show stealing going on and inequality...not good at all.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
B'ah! I've seen him a couple times on TV, and he always seemed to have this arrogance about him that drove me batty.

Also, one of the best parts about Cirque is it's a bunch of people doing what they love for the sake of the art (and most likely a big paycheck), and quite often live anonymously outside the stage with no one recognizing them. Criss Angel seems the type to try and flaunt himself up on the stage and make his presence known.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol
I've never heard of him so I googled and his website went straight through to an email marketing company ubblol ubblol ubblol
Is that the sort of thing you mean??

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I'm going against the flow coz i like him and i like cirque aswell. I think that the teming of the two would be good so long a CA plays nice and isn't too much of an arrogant twat (tho that is part of his appeall)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
appeal? you find arrogant twat appealing?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I can kind of understand the logic... like rooting for the bad guy.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
personaly i think they should have tryed to get derren brown in hes got a passion for specitical hes incredable at what he does and hes comes accross as a genuienly nice person.

infact thinking about it i'ed love to see derren brown do a show with cirque du soleil a couple of his more recent shows have been moveing towards the grand specical thing anyways smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Am I the only one that likes Criss Angel here? confused Please don't hate me... I don't hate you guys.

I think it will probably make a really good show because, lets face it, even if you don't like Criss Angel, the real organizers behind the whole thing are the Cirque du Soleil! So it will probably be a very good show.

I'm guessing that it will be a usual Cirque show, except with someone doing some illusions during it... and in this case, that someone just happens to be a well known illusionist: Criss Angel...

That's just my judgement... I hope the show works out in the end... I was really happy to read the news though.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
We all have our views, Pomp, no worries.

But as others, I really don't like him. Its not that I hate him, or dislike him. He does have decent illusions, its just his ways of doing them. I do agree with him being arrogant.

Its magicians and illusionists like David Blaine and Derren Brown who I think have a good personality.

I love Cirque Du Soleil, I have fallen in love with the music and characters. I even practice four hours a day, in hopes I can become part of the Cirque Du Soleil.. But I don't know if that will happen..

I just think that Criss Angel doesn't fit the Cirque Du Soleil performances. I can see how magic can be done in the show. I forget which, but one of them had a Magic Comedy show. I want to say Varekai, but I don't know..

Criss Angel just has this certain part of him.. I can't put my thumb on it, but he just has this negative vibe with me. Although, I do think we can all agree. He truly is a "Mind Freak"ubblol

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
You are indeed correct on the magic skit in Varekai, I worked with the show for 6 months and highly enjoyed my time there. The clowns who do the magic act are really cool people, Steve, the guy clown, used to be a dentist smile I got to hang out with them backstage a couple of times and it was incredible. I just don't think that Criss Angel will fit in there, he's too self obsessed and stuck up.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xjere

Written by: Rouge Dragon

I can kind of understand the logic... like rooting for the bad guy.

Yup Rootin' fer the Bad Guy

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It would also help if Criss actually had skills.

My son will sit and watch him and know how it is done.
He is good at misdirection and being an idiot.

I know people who have served as his "advisors" so I think I am quite biased.

Then again, I'm not fond of the route that Cirque du Soliel has taken in their past...well alot of their newer shows. They have sacrificed quality for aesthetic and quantity.
So maybe they deserve each other.

shrug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
Theres jus an air about him that says ME!ME!ME!

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
I do understand what you mean by them sacrificing the quality, Pele. But, you must understand, their early shows were just like any other circus. As they went on, they put story lines and such into it, creating such a beautiful moving image.

This could possibly be just another phase of their lifetime. They came out with a new show, Delerium, if my memory serves me right. I highly look foward to this show, and I support the Cirque Du Soleil team for their work, inspiration, and devotion. I don't think they deserve eachother at all. There are many amazing magicians and illusionists out there. Criss is just a twit.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

It would also help if Criss actually had skills.

meow!

'i don't rate him because my son can work out his tricks just by watching him on tv' made me laugh though hug

i know how a bunch of magic tricks can be done - i've been to libraries and i know how to use google too wink

still, there's loads of new tricks appearing year on year and better, cleaner methods being developed for old effects that can still totally blow me away.

i think criss angel has lots of skills.

and he's won some pretty big awards because of them.

he has a respectable performance career (over 500 shows on broadway i think?) and, like derren brown, luke jermay, andy nyman et el, he's a big challenger of pseudoscience (i.e. the supernatural/paranormal) which makes me appreciate his skills all the more.

he's got some great advisors (read: people who create/develop tricks for him), including the incredible luke jermay, which gives him the opportunity to perform some of the best illusions out there.

i get that a lot of people dislike his performance character but there must be a bunch that dig his style because he's undoubtedly one of the most successful illusionists in the world shrug

bring on the cirque du soleil illusion show!

(and while you're at it, bring those x-rated ones out of las vegas and into london!)

cole. x

p.s. i didn't vote in the poll because the question is loaded: they're not adding angel to a cirque du soleil show - they're creating a brand new, cirque-directed show with him in it.

which i think is a good idea.

obviously wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Criss has his moments that do draw a fairly good OMG out of me. He is a fairly good showman and all, but I just don't think the way he approaches things is graceful enough for Cirque. There's this great art to a Cirque show, it's nearly of the ballet calibre, but Criss has none of that. He's all flash and no grace.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Coleman, no meow to it. It's truthful and honest from an opinion based on more than from the tv. I know *alot* of professional magicians and sideshow people (being an american-traditional sideshow performer myself) and several of those who have served as his advisors (Todd Robbins, Harley Newman, etc) are very close friends of mine and even they no longer support him because of how he presents things. If you see him live, it's even worse (thank god they were comp tickets).

As for your stats. The awards he's won are not so reputable within the magic community and are created to make laymen go oooooo. Just like countless awards for any skill. They aren't true celebrations of skill as much as politics, including many of the awards that come out of the magic castle.
I also disagree with the 500 shows on Broadway being a big deal. First of all, it was off-Broadway, where the experimental shows take place but they don't carry the clout. Secondly it is not hard to get them, but harder to keep them. 500 shows can be done in a few months. Hell, *I've* performed in off-broadway. It's not impressive. Vegas, or even Reno and AC, that would be more impressive.

I think I am too close to this topic to be unbiased. His persona is the same as hundreds upon hundreds of others (done better by the likes of Max Maven and John Shaw). His use of "drama" and props is unoriginal and sub. When it is clearly visible in a levitation that someone is picking him up from behind, it ruins it. When it is clearly visible that you are laying on the bed of nails and the truck that is supposed to be rolling over you is nowhere near you, well you can only suspend disbelief so far. When the earpiece you are wearing is visible when you are supposed to "be blindly walking", it's hoaky. These are examples of the crap he puts out.

At least David Blaine trains his body to do feats, whether or not they are offensive, I respect the man for really doing them.

And like I said, Cirque is lacking lately imo too (with the exception of Corteo which I simply adore), so perhaps it's a match made in heaven.

Or I'll just go sit through my friends off-Broadway Monday Magic show again, since it is amazing, up close, personal, unpretentious and mindblowing..without having to rely on all the bs Angel does.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I just don't like him cause he comes across as a jerk

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed