orion10293newbie
5 posts

Posted:
Where can I buy wick? I've been hunting quite literally all day, and I've got nothing.

I've been to Lowes, Hobbytown USA, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Longs, Rayleys, Safeway, and several other stores.

None of them have any type of useable wick.

So, back to my original point, where the heck do you find the stupid wick?! confused confused mad2

Thanks in advance
Orion

Daily prayer:

Dear Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people that pissed me off.

^_^

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You buy it here....look and click on "Go shopping"

Was that subtle enough confused rolleyes wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
none of your standard stores will carry decent kevlar wick. some hardware stores will have pure fibreglass wick, in the form of oven gaskets, but that's not too great unless you wear a resparator when you spin.

you have to go to a specialty shop, like a juggling shop, for any decent kevlar wicking. if you're in the states, https://www.seriousjuggling.com/Fire_Wick.htm has a pretty good selection for the price. shameless plug for the local shop, but i'm sure you could find alternatives.

also, don't get too hung up on using kevlar for your poi. my first, and honestly greatest, wicks were made from bar mop towels I got from walmart for $5. huge flames, long burns, and cathederals don't unravel as they burn up. they're only good for a few burns, but then you make another set of heads and get going.

Also, if you provide your location, chances are someone lives near you and has the low-down on the best shops for fire artists in your area.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Ya the only place you are going to find wick for making poi or whatever heads are places that specialize in fire toys. There are several online places that sell it, Bearclaw, Flama Aterna or whatever its called, Trick Concepts, and of course, Home Of Poi smile Its is generally around $2ish a foot online. Same thing for say ball chain if you are building your own poi using ball chain. You can get most of that sort of thing at ballchain dot com. They have the connectors and everything you need. The rest can be found at a hardware store.

"Runs with Scissors"

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
and if you're even slightly serious about the hobby, set aside a few hundred dollars and buy the specialty hardware in bulk. get a hundred foot spool of wick, a whole roll of ballchain, etc. you'll save a whole whole lot of money and you'll be able to make whatever you want for the next few years.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.