sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sportsnetwork

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Radio personality Don Imus was fired from his CBS Radio job on Thursday, one day after MSNBC said it would no longer simulcast the Imus in the Morning radio show in the wake of derogatory remarks about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Imus was originally suspended for two weeks from MSNBC and CBS Radio, but he was lifted from the cable TV network Wednesday after a series of protests called for his ouster.

It was last Wednesday when Imus commented on the women's team that made the national championship game before losing to Tennessee as 'nappy-headed hos.'

Producer Bernard McGuirk also said 'that's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos -- some hardcore hos.'

'That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that,' said Imus, who later apologized, but has come under criticism from many influential groups, saying it wasn't enough and that he should be fired.

from what i've heard he gets paid to make shocking comments and he has insulted people many times in the past. he calls people ho's all the time (even his wife). i have many white friends with nappy hair, it's beautiful.

comedians, musicians and other professions are allowed to insult people and make jokes about sex and race. so did imus cross the line? if he did should a sincere apology and a slap on the wrist be enough to end this? or did he deserve what he got?

ive heard people say that the effects from this incident might cause the 'rap' and the music industry in general to censor racist, sexist and non-pc content from the radio and television.

thoughts?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There was a VERY interesting perspective on this on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

It focused in on the effect of the internet on the situation.

There was little to no attention paid to this until the videos of it started circulating on the internet. The effect snowballed and exploded and got Jessie and Al on board.

I think it's horrible what he said. BUT I don't think it's any more horrible than what he's said througout his extremely long and offensive career. I remember listening to Imus over 20 year while my mom was driving me to school and I found him offensive back then.

This kind of stuff goes on all over the media all the time. [I listen to New York's Hip Hop station on my way home from work and I assure you there are far more offensive stuff that gets said on that.]

I think that the reaction of disgust about what he said is appropriate.

I'm a little concerned about the internet viral video mob mentality that went into his getting fired.

Why aren't Jesse and Al organizing a boycott of advertizers giving money to 50 Cent or Hot 97 Radio?

Oh yeah. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
pleh. honestly, if you're hearing what shock jocks are saying you're already damned. DONT listen to them and perhaps eventually they'll shut up.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I think it's horrible what he said. BUT I don't think it's any more horrible than what he's said througout his extremely long and offensive career. I remember listening to Imus over 20 year while my mom was driving me to school and I found him offensive back then.

what do you think is so different about this incident compared to other offensive things he has said in the past? is it because it was the first time he made an offensive racist comment? is there some political agenda behind the scenes? (that question just sounds silly, of course there is) it sounds like there might be an attempt by the conservatives to call this some kind of liberal PC implosion.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
larry elders doesn't think that it is that big of a deal and that it just shows what a double standard there is. while he is not a political analyst, he is an african american, is a moral activist (moral court), and a radio host. if HE thinks this is blown out of porportion, i think i will go with him

really is what imus said any different than what mancow or stern say on a daily basis?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
but stern is on xm? serious? some special service, whereas imus is on regular radio, isn't he?

and as uppity as sharpton's getting lets not forget ms brawley wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

3,556 posts

Posted:
he wasn't always, xm is a newer thing for him

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
yes, why do you think he switched over wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
because he got more money or more creative control

Faith

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
and wasn't subject to the same regulations and public scrutiny.

any word if rutgers is going to allow the imus to talk to those girls? because to my mind, that's who he should be talking to, not al or jesse or anyone else.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think the saddest part is that the Rutgers women are now getting hate mail.

How ignorant is that?!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
they are?! that's censored up

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i think in a way imus was unfortunate that there was nothing else going on at the time he said this because the reaction in the media is way overboard. my interest is more in the reaction than to the incident. the news report should have been something like "some idiot on the radio said some offensive things about a team of basketball players" and now the real news... (IMO)

that is unbelievable about the hate mail

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does "nappy" mean? I only know it as a baby's undergarments!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
now, as I got the info passed on, "nappy hair" refers to "messy hair of Afro Americans"... maybe after taking a nap... rolleyes
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176484207)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
the kinky hair that is common with african hair
the strand is all twisty and thick, sometimes flat, hard to get straightened
it's considered a derogatory term, i guess, i heard it all the time in milwaukee along with good and bad hair, so i didn't realize it was up there with the other N word

Faith

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Pls note the man, who is sitting in the glasshouse:

Non-Https Image Link

Written by: myself

CBS hired a pathological troublemaker ("once named one of the 25 Most Influential People in America by Time magazine and a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame") and now fires him for doing what he seems to have done all along ("His career took flight in the 1970s and with a cocaine- and vodka-fueled outrageous humor. After sobering up, he settled into a mix of highbrow talk about politics and culture, with locker room humor sprinkled in")... what were they thinking? Maybe it was just about a bad timing, as the US are approaching elections???

If "political correctness" is only a shell, without content, coming from the mind (not from the heart) - IMO - it's worse than being offensive - it's bigoted.

And this - IMHO - is why "the world" is so pissed off about the US, because it appears to be bigoted... shrug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176484697)

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i think the irony lies with the hypocrisies in where the lines are drawn in political correctness.

it seems (in some broadcasting at least) that if you go fishing in racist waters for laughs that you take the risk of committing career suicide.

Written by: firetom

And this - IMHO - is why "the world" is so pissed off about the US, because it appears to be bigoted...

i think "the world" is upset about america('s current government administration) but i'm not sure if i agree that it's all about because america appears bigoted. might have something to do with the current war and the evironmental impact of america etc. when you say the world is upset with america that includes americans.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
not as long as everybody shares the laugh, but certainly ahead of the elections...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sagetree

my interest is more in the reaction than to the incident. the news report should have been something like "some idiot on the radio said some offensive things about a team of basketball players" and now the real news... (IMO)

that is unbelievable about the hate mail

I agree completely.

There was an incident last year in New York where a radio DJ got fired for getting into an on air argument with DJ. He said he wanted to rape the other DJ's child and offered $500 if someone called in to say where that child went to school.

He was quietly fired and it was never mentioned again.

Not sure why this is worse.

Is this really world news?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
"Is this really world news? "

i would hope not

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sagetree

"Is this really world news? "

i would hope not

I'm afraid it is... rolleyes

now what does mean? and why is it in the world press?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
It's not just a U.S. thing, although it's a lot rarer here.

Back when I was in high school, over 10 years ago, a local radio breakfast show DJ was fired on air, for telling a racist, sexist, homophobic joke (one joke I'm never going to forget). The way he just came out and told it, it seems he wanted to get fired.

I don't have a clue why someone would do that, especially on a rural area BBC station that is as conservative as you can get. He sure won't be working in any kind of media now.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
(career) suicide by public opinion?
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176487695)

3,556 posts

Posted:
well most media is not conservative here, and he had been given lots of leeway before, he probably didn't think about it
he should have
but it should not have gotten the attention that it did, but i think larry elders is right that there is a double standard

Faith

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Honestly I believe if the team had won, the outcry would have been less - you simply don't throw a (racial motivated) stone after the loosers...

Read this:

Written by: AP writers

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer said Friday the team had accepted radio host Don Imus' apology. She said he deserves a chance to move on but hopes the furor his racist and sexist insult caused will be a catalyst for change.

"We, the Rutgers University Scarlet Knight basketball team, accept — accept — Mr. Imus' apology, and we are in the process of forgiving," Stringer read from a team statement a day after the women met personally with Imus and his wife.

"We still find his statements to be unacceptable, and this is an experience that we will never forget," she said.

(...)

"These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture," Stringer said. "It is not just Mr. Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change. Let us continue to work hard together to make this world a better place."

Imus was in the middle of a two-day radio fundraiser for children's charities when he was dropped by CBS. On Friday, his wife took over the show and also talked about the meeting with the Rutgers players.

"They gave us the opportunity to listen to what they had to say and why they're hurting and how awful this is," author Deirdre Imus said.

"He feels awful," she said of her husband. "He asked them, 'I want to know the pain I caused, and I want to know how to fix this and change this.'"

Deirdre Imus also said that the Rutgers players have been receiving hate e-mail, and she demanded that it stop. She told listeners "if you must send e-mail, send it to my husband," not the team. "I have to say that these women are unbelievably courageous and beautiful women," she said.

Stringer declined to discuss the hate mail Friday. Rutgers team spokeswoman Stacey Brann said the team had received "two or three e-mails" but had also received "over 600 wonderful e-mails."

The team's goal was never to get Imus fired, Stringer said. "It's sad for anyone to lose their job," she said.

Critics have said his remark about the Rutgers women was just the latest in a line of objectionable statements by the ringmaster of a show that mixed high-minded talk about politics and culture with crude, locker-room humor.

Imus apologized on the air late last week and also tried to explain himself before the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio audience, appearing alternately contrite and combative. But many of his advertisers still bailed in disgust, particularly after the Rutgers women spoke publicly of their hurt.

On Wednesday, a week after the remark, MSNBC said it would no longer televise the show. CBS fired Imus Thursday from the radio show that he has hosted for nearly 30 years.

"He has flourished in a culture that permits a certain level of objectionable expression that hurts and demeans a wide range of people," CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves said in a memo to his staff.

Sharpton praised Moonves' decision Friday and said it was time to change the culture of publicly degrading other people."I think we've got to really used this to really stop this across the board," he told CBS's "The Early Show."

Some Imus fans, however, considered the radio host's punishment too harsh.

Mike Francesa, whose WFAN sports show with partner Chris Russo is considered a possible successor to "Imus in the Morning," said he was embarrassed by the company. "I'm embarrassed by their decision. It shows, really, the worst lack of taste I've ever seen," he said.

Losing Imus will be a financial hit to CBS Radio, which also suffered when Howard Stern left for satellite radio. The program earns about $15 million in annual revenue for CBS, which owns Imus' home radio station WFAN-AM and manages Westwood One, the company that syndicates the show nationally WFAN.

The show's charity fundraiser had raised more than $1.3 million Thursday before Imus learned he had lost his job. The total had grown Friday to more than $2.3 million for Tomorrows Children's Fund, CJ Foundation for SIDS and the Imus Ranch, Deirdre Imus said. The annual event has raised more than $40 million since 1990.

Imus' troubles have also affected his wife, the founder of a medical center that studies links between cancers and environmental hazards whose book "Green This!" came out this week. Her promotional tour was called off "because of the enormous pressure that Deirdre and her family are under," said Simon & Schuster publicist Victoria Meyer.

The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology in Hackensack, N.J., works to identify and control exposures to environmental hazards that may cause adult and childhood cancers. Imus Ranch in New Mexico invites children who have been ill to spend time on a working cattle ranch.

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176617028)