Forums > Social Chat > Keyrings: observations

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There's been some discussion about use of keyrings with fire equipment before. I've got two sets of wicks that I made a while ago using keyrings as the attachment rings.As others have warned, these rings did eventually deform, so I replaced them today. I decided to take a picture so y'all could see:https://www.crossroads.net/fire-gear/testpix/keyrings1.jpegA few notes:These are pretty hefty as keyrings go. They are 1.25" in diameter and about 3/16" thick.The top keyring in the picture is new, and is included for comparison.Despite the different levels of deformation, all of these had been through about the same number of burns--somewhere in the 30-40 range. The deformation of these has been gradual and pretty linear over time--after 15-20 burns, two of these rings had no obvious deformation, one was very slightly deformed, and one was clearly deformed. I suspect that even the most deformed one could have withstood several more burns.I use lamp oil almost exclusively, and have only used white gas a few times, so these have been exposed to comparatively low levels of heat.I stopped using keyrings as attachment rings a while ago--I'm now using solid rings with a welded joint and 100-lb test weight.My own conclusion based on this is that keyrings (at least these keyrings) are tolerable, but require monitoring and are not ideal.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 13 May 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have used Key rings for 4 years now and I have had no problems. You just need to replace them if they start to deform (or bend) I don't like to much stuff at the end of my poi other than Fire. Swivels and other clunky mettle stuff just hurts when you hit yourself. grin I just Buy the biggest and bulkyest keyrings I can find. Don't buy small, and try not to hit the ground with them alot.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
At the risk of being a smartie, maybe you want to check the thread on Hair Cut. If you're still hitting yourself at four years, maybe there's something to consider. Diana

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey, Hey, Hey!There is nothing wrong with hitting yourself. I try new things all the time (board with the same ol stuff), What happens when you try new stuff Diana? tongue Its not bad to fall once and awile, as long as you get your ass up! you should know this! Noone's perfect. As for Key Rings, Don't hit them on the ground, they bend like the last one on you pic.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The best replacement for key rings are, well, I'm not sure what they are called so I'll just try to describe them. ;-)Imagine an "O" shaped ring with a small section of one of the straight sides of the ring cut out and each of the open ends threaded. A long nut is then threaded such that the gap can be opened and closed. You can get these in all sizes, but the small ones aren't exactly cheap -- about US$1.50 - us$2.00/ea. Ok, it isn't all that expensive, really, but when you are as obsessive as I am and own many sets of poi that can really add up.Personally, I have been very happy with 200-300 lb. test fishing snap swivels. They are fairly cheap (US$0.50/ea) and I have had nary a problem with them. They also have the advantage of being much lighter than the connectors described above. However, do *NOT* use anything rated at less than 100 lbs. Trust me on this one...-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Actually, pj, I do use those to connect my wicks to my chains--they're called "quick-links", and they're great. The keyrings I was discussing above are (were) built into the wicks. I don't use the eyelet-bold design, so I need some other sort of loop.

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
what's all this keyring stuff about then? I just passed the chain through the screws inside my hollow poi that hold the wick to the copper pipe. Easy.I have many new moves, and no idea how to explain them, maybe I should video them and send them in that way? What you think?

soup!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Iandd--I use a different wick design--an interleave, or cathedral wick. I've documented it athttps://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.htmlAlso, IMHO, it's a good idea to be able to detach your fire wicks from your chains, so as to attach dummy wicks, glowsticks, whatever.

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
i also use those same links that pj and adam use after having split rings deform on me after just one spinning session. they must be crap. anyway the connectors that i use sound to be the same as the others use but from memory the ones that i use are called chain links. if for any reason you hit the ground with them while u are spinning it is a good idea to check that the nut is still screwed on tight as it sometimes works loose. Rain.