Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here in the US it shows on Discovery Channel.

It is more reality than any other show. The host, Bear Gylls(I think is his last name), gets dropped off with a camera and sound man into the most extreme conditions with nothing and has to figure his way out within a set amount of days. The two man crew is only allowed to step in should his life be in serious danger.

It's pretty interesting and as an avid camper/hiker, I have found quite a bit of it helpful to keep in mind and stuff I really had no clue about.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I like Survivor man

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I just did a 2 day 'survival' trek in Austria with Ananda from HOP. We had 40cm of snow in bloody September (unusual even for Innsbruck) and we werent even that high up - we trecked upto 1657m...and found a family in a hut with tea and brandy!! MMmmmm. Infact we also found another unoccupied hut (lower down) which we put our sleeping bags under the eaves of, just by the dry, chopped fire wood (which we gave a donation and much thanks for) and a BBQ which we lit the fire and cooked on.....Erm when I say survival - I mean luxury!! But you know in actual survival situations you make the most of what you find!!! We also ate lots of mushrooms, needle tea and chapatis.......OK - Its was more like a cold holiday really, but we got to do some great tracking (dear and cars!) in the fresh powder and we both learnt some new things (me more than Tom!!)
Its interesting the spiritual context to tracking and survival, from Native cultures.
Just as another thought - everyone should consider survival training as an investment in their future - Cuz when the S@#T hits the fan and economic meltdown occurs, youre gonna need those skills to live - positive point or paranoia?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Firenix, I agree that it is a valuable investment, but from a different perspective. I see it as a "you never know what situation you will get yourself into" thing. I live in an area with tonnes of wilderness, winding backroads and deep water. For me learning to survive as well as to get out of situations was very important.

Survivorman tends to have brought things most wouldn't and doesn't show how to survive a trek out commonly. I have seen him sit for days next to a truck that broke down, which doesn't show how to get out of that situation. I've always learned that part of survival is getting out of the situation. I am not fond of him for that, plus I can't stand his personality.

I find that Bear Grylls actually explains in every situation how to build a structure, a fire, trap, hunt and forage, Lurch. Very completely and often in ways exact to what I learned in my survivor course as well as scouts. In fact, he puts great emphasis on those aspects.

Survivorman doesn't actually carry the stuff. He sits in one place and, well, survives. If you notice, when he says he's had enough and it's time for him to leave, he leaves the camera behind (for the nearby crew, if you read about it..there is one *very* near to him at all times) to pick up for him when they pick him up.

Ohh, Firenix you are so right on the tribal and native cultures. To this day it is deeply embedded in them to have a spiritual revere about survival. Not that all of them that I know do, but they were brought up with it. I learned some amazing tracking from Mohawk and Seneca friends, not that I've ever needed to use it, but it's fun on a hike! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Truth be told Pele from the rescuers side of things it's far better for you to stay put. It's when people start to wonder off because they don't think that anyone could find them that they usually get injured or die. Over 90% of the rescues done in Oregon end within 24 hours. I'm not going to say for sure but that seems to be fairly universal across the country. If you leave the car or leave the trail, it'll take us longer to find you. There are certain situations where it is going to be up to you to find your way out, more often than not staying put is usually the best idea.

Maybe Bear Grylls is better for more of a beginning perspective and introduction to the material, but I still say that a large part of the information out there could possibly put someone at more risk than needed. The "wild" horse he tried to catch for example was actually tame and brought in for the show, along with numerous stories about him staying in hotels during his "surviving". I fear that he sensationalizes things, and while he may be able to do them, and no doubt has the skills and ability he's walking a very fine line. You wouldn't hand someone burning poi right off the bat and encourage them to spin because it's easy for us would you? It's so easy for some of the things Bear does to go horribly horribly wrong that it makes me cringe to see it being encouraged to someone who doesn't know the consequences.

There are episodes of survivorman with him trekking, usually he stays for a day or two, and spends a couple days on the walk out. He is much more of a survivalist, finding ways to sustain himself for as long as possible, rather than the 'get out now!' mentality.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Survivorman doesn't actually carry the stuff. He sits in one place and, well, survives. If you notice, when he says he's had enough and it's time for him to leave, he leaves the camera behind (for the nearby crew, if you read about it..there is one *very* near to him at all times) to pick up for him when they pick him up.

i thought it was just him out there. It's really hard to tell you can do amzing things with editing. They did show one time a bunch of footage of him like walking back to pick up the camera and stuff. Of course it could have been scripted. I tihnk he's alone and if i had to carry all the camera gear around i would just sit near the pick up too.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Page: