Forums > Social Discussion > Russian spy dies of posion in UK

Login/Join to Participate

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ok im not sure how many people have seen this but ive been following it the last week or so with interest.

an ex KGB officer who spoke out against president putin has recently died (late last night in fact) after being poisoned with a toxic heavy metal polonium-210. the russian government has been accusied of being behind this by many of the man's friends but has denied all knowledge.

my general thought was that there is almost a feel of cold war paranoia at the moment - especially when the various new laws introduced internationally are taken into consideration (the USA patriot act, the UK anti - terroism bill and various others)

was just wondering if anyone feels that were on the verge of something messy

and now some relivant links
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6180682.stm
the news of the spy's death

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act
the US patriot act

im currently looking for links on russian views of dissentors and will post them when i find them

peace out

(but remember the end is neigh wink )

back

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yeah i heard on the radio that the hospital had found traces of polonium and cause of death was still undecided and was being handed over to local detectives.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i heard they found trace radioactivity at not only the sushi bar but also at the hotel also both under investigation.

what a nasty way to go, being irradiated to the point it kills you. in a way you have to imagine what it was like for the chernobyl clean up crew..................bet there's not many of them left alive now and they only had 3 minuites of exposure.

flying_on_fireBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
 Written by: linden rathen

my general thought was that there is almost a feel of cold war paranoia at the moment - especially when the various new laws introduced internationally are taken into consideration (the USA patriot act, the UK anti - terroism bill and various others)

was just wondering if anyone feels that were on the verge of something messy

wait a min here what do u meen on the verge, i think that particular verge has dwindled into the distance. there are the slightly messy aspects of afghanistan and iraq not to mention the equally messy incident of london7/7 etc frown i would however agree that it does appear that the end is neigh bye

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i thought they said it was thalium

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I believe that was an option they considered before they were able to actually find out what it was.

And ravehead, the bbc article in the first post confirms what you heard:

"The traces were found at the Itsu sushi restaurant in Piccadilly, the Millennium Hotel, Grosvenor Square, and at Mr Litvinenko's home in Muswell Hill, north London, Scotland Yard said."

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
what a sad way to go. frown

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
flying - i didnt mean that the end was near as such or that we were on the verge - just that we seem to be heading that way again.

it just seems that there has been a large move recently towards greater powers to detain, observe and generally spy on people based solely on suspisions.

back

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Russia goes way beyond cold war paranoia and a move towards greater state powers. Those speaking out against the Russian state face open persecution, intimidation and threat of assainations, with a long list of victims over the last few years as Russia has steadily slipped back to old skool Cold War control by the state and big business and has become even worse. All in all the way Russia is going is frightening in so many ways!

Now I'm going to have to avoid eating out with anyone who has a funny accent!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Maybe Putin's regime is at a end this is the way it went at the end of every Tsar of russia's riegn war, censorship, spying, secart committees. To be Honest i dont think the cold war ever ended i think we are living it except now it is alot more deadly. I dont know if anyone heard but in 2000 there was another spy jabbed by a umberlla on london bridge posioned to death but that was kept quite it was in the newspapers the other day.

I think Russia, Britain and USA are key players to watch at the moment and France and Germany are being unusaly quite as well currently

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
interestingly today a second possible 'poisoning' the ex acting prime minister Yegor Gaidar. He collapsed while giving a speach a few days ago and no one is quite sure why (clicky https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6159343.stm
there )

and i do remember hearing about the guy stabbed on the bridge a few years back (clicky here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov)

back to the Alex though they've now found the chemical in a further 12 sites including two BA jets

one thing that does amuse me about this is the number of people who have been phoning the NHS direct (for the non-uk a sort of phone in doctors thing) when alpha particles can go at most 1cm in air before being absorbed.... ah well

back