Forums > Videos > promotional videos tips...

Login/Join to Participate

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
would love to get some ideas and thoughts on promotional videos.

this is what i got so far...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Aside from the spinning (as that's not what this is about) - that video isn't a promo video, it's a video of you spinning fire at an event.

Track down other performance groups and watch theirs smile There's a huge range in styles: spinning in different events / more arty displaying the props to their full potential / highlights from a show etc...

But for it to be a promo - you need to show everything you can do, i.e. what the person might be looking for (they're only watching it because they're curious) and show them you can do it well, and that an audiance would like it and you'd improve their event if they paid you to perform there which is all it comes down to.

Look at TV adverts - short, to the point (though sometimes obliquely for established brands) and gives you all the info you need (ish...).

A promo is just an advert after all smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh - and I forgot to add...

Remember the range of events people will have a fire performer at... Your video should appeal to as many differnt people as possible.
Or, less subtly - few people will want a guy to turn up at their event and spin fire without a top on. Some might, but not many. If this is the only thing you want to do (or more generally, if a person/group want to target a specific market) that's cool - but ideally you want to appeal to as broad a section as possible.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
The most important thing, as I see it, is to look proffesional. If I want a promoter to give me money, I have to convince them that what I offer is WORTH that money - not that he is giving me a break by letting me spin at his event, but that I am PROVIDING A SERVICE that I should be paid for. And equally important, is to try and think about what is unique to you - what do you offer the client that no other fire performer can?

For starters, definately try to think about some kind of costume. Its something that is worth spending some money on because a good costume sets you apart and is one of the things that makes you look professional. As Durbs said

Written by: Durbs

few people will want a guy to turn up at their event and spin fire without a top on.

but perhaps more importantly, anybody can do it. It isn't memorable. Try to find a costume that is in some way unique and that will make people think of and remember you.

Think about the location. If you can get footage of you on a stage, with stage-lighting and such, great. If not, think of a location which would make for an interesting video. Somewhere that has great scenery and that suggests that you have really put some thought and work into it.

Oh, and it may sound pedantic, but if you have English text in your video maybe try to get a native English speaker to write it. The text at the end of your video is spelt wrong. Its a small thing, but its always the little things which make a big difference to clients.

Check out the Flame Oz video:

https://www.flameoz.com/VIDEO/videomp4.html

When it comes to profesionalism, nobody does it better than these guys.

Not a spinner!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
spinning is very good, but the video, what are people supposed to think when they watch it. what groups are you looking for? the video itself is too long.
do the moves that wow all together or at least have them edited together
maybe have the video tell some sort of story: this is you, this is me, this is why you need me at your event

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed