Forums > Social Discussion > The Importance of spinning/twirling to you?

Login/Join to Participate

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Hello all, this is a topic i am seriously assesing myself.

How important is spinning/twirling (and the lifestyle and changes it brings) to you?

I have recently been doing alot of travelling and in doing so, left behind the friends(family i think they are now) i made through our fire nights. This said, i found myself twirling alot less and struggling to find other to do it with.

Not until travelling back to Adelaide for Common Ground 06 did i realise what i'd done to myself by putting my twirling aside to the extent that i had. Not only did i see all my beautiful friends, but all the people at CG06 that i had not yet met became part of my life almost instantly. Also, of coarse, my twirling drive kicked back in full swing and i was happy way more than i had been...

After leaving adelaide, i visited my new found friends in melbourne before moving promptly to brisbane to live with a bunch of twirlers and performers, and focas on my own twirling, performing and general love for these arts.

But i feel slightly bad for doing so because i have come to the conclusion that my current relationship is causing a negative effect on this lifestyle! I hate hurting people, but i don't want to be miserable because of that!

So i take this lifestyle very seriously after such a realisation, but not everyone does. I know this.(especially non twirlers, eg/my g/f)

So i now wonder where to go from here... The lifestyle i wish to lead, and i don't just mean the twirling, seems to clash with the one i'm in.

So, i'd like to know what you all think, wether in relation to my circumstances or your own?!

hug rolleyes biggrin

Petey: "i just finished a rubiks cube, from completely shuffled to not, in 1 minute 57 seconds "

Experiencing people is the best experience of all.

Govenor of Flynt's Ass...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Forgive me going off on one here..... rolleyes

Spinning for me has been the biggest source of positivity in my life since I started a year ago. When I started, I was living with a long term partner who wasn't right for me, and I was depressed, stressed out, skint, and drinking too much as a result. I didn't really have many friends outside the group we hung around in, and I didn't always feel at home with them. But when I started spinning, it became a focal point for my pent-up creativity, and a really good release, and I found it gave me strength I'd not known.

Eventually I ended things with my partner, amicably, and moved back in with my parents, and threw myself into spinning and writing music (my other big passion). And spinning has led my here to HoP and all you lovely people!

I went to Play this year, and ended up meeting loads of ya, and also ended up doing some of the sound, which gave me a really big confidence boost. And I've been going to Spitz for the last few weeks and have been developing my skills and meeting really cool people there as well. And all because I bought that set of Poi at Glade last year. It's actually been a life saver for me. And besides which I LOVE spinning and developing my skills, and especially playing with fire.

So, after that rambling and possibly quite autobiographical post, to answer the question, spinning is possibly the best thing in my life at the moment, because it's helped my find you lot.

And big-up to FearPig (Tom) who introduced me to poi in the first place.

hug hug hug biggrin weavesmiley

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
I have only recently started spinning and it hasn't made a huge impact in my life but seeing as I haven't been to any meets and only recently joined HoP that can be forgiven. I'd say anything which makes you happy and helps you to relax in life and acts as an 'escape' from the real world into one which fills you with happyness should not be removed.

I'd say talk to your girlfriend and explain why spinning is important to you. She might not appreciate why spinning is such an important aspect of your life because she just doesn't know and hasn't been told. And if she's a non spinner but shows some interest try to get her into it. Bring both aspects of your life together... or something

... I've gone agony aunt again lol... I tend to do that. Sorry redface

Fear my wrath and call me muffin for I am the muffin of doom!!

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Done the talky, importance thing, and a vague interest aroused, but it seems fake considering when it comes to the crunch and i start to look at it seriously it seems to cause arguements which remind me of my teenage years and my parents (YUK!) Its not for lack of trying, but i just don't know if i have it in me to carry this much without losing touch with my own happiness.
Sambo_flux. Sound like we have something in common, I kinda know where i am at with all this and know what i 'should' do, but i am in a difficult position because of the travelling and other, non related issues.
Thankyou both tho, any input on this topic only helps me in gaining knowledge on my situation. And i'm sure others out there too........

Petey: "i just finished a rubiks cube, from completely shuffled to not, in 1 minute 57 seconds "

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
I recently gave up my old life, my friends and my family, left England (the country I had lived in my entire life) and moved to Austria to be a proffesional fire player, because I loved it so much.

I don't regret it, but since I am here, I have done considerably less spinning than I did in my old life, because I have so many other things to put my energy into, just to stay afloat.

Just something to consider ...

Not a spinner!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
There was a time I couldn't imagine being without it for even a day. Now I am older and I have material issues coming up/ am looking for how to make a living in order to maybe support a family (and this not in a camper)...

Man, if you depend on spinning for to make a living, you may better get yourself a warm coat - as the competition is growing daily. In my hometown alone we have three professional groups who popped up just in the past few years and pretty much cover the market - yet there are more getting "professional" every year, or dream about it. Having said this: what's the point in starting a fourth and fifth one?

Further I have health issues (broken shoulder) and am not getting crisper every day. Maybe I have to accept that spinning itself is going to remain a (semiprofessional) hobby.

But as such I'm sure it will stay with me as long as I can pick up a staff and twirl a chain. I just ubblove it.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Im new to spinning, but slowly getting better. My motivation has mainly been my friend Taustin. I messed around with poi but never really took the time to learn. Taustin LOVED poi, he was amazing. He had such love for spinning, and he passed away this Feb. I was messing around with poi one day, and a thought came to me. Next year is my first burning man, and I think it would be one hell of a tribute to Taustin to keep on doing my poi, and at BM next year spin fire in tribute to him. I love doing poi anyways, and love to see others do it. But to be able to do something that Taustin loved and tribute him in my quest to eventually spin fire is what I feel I need to do smile

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Now that's inspiring. Sorry for your loss. I really like that spinning fire can be that significant in our lives. I totally agree that is a beautiful idea and if Taustin is with you and you do this it is indeed a fitting tribute...
So i assume you have not lit up. To make your first fire spin such a timeless thing is awe inspiring, and at burning man just seals the deal. I am proud to hear you would do this in dedication to a friend, and only feel more proud to be part of a community which has this kind of dedication an all together compassion and care for each other... hug

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i moved to wales about 10 months ago and i live in a small town without many people my age. i have met some nice people at work but not anyone that i hang out with outside of work very often. i picked up spinning poi about 7 months ago and went to my first meet in swansea. i got lost so everyone was waiting almost 2 hours for me. they all had met each other before and were all from the uk (i think) so i was a bit nervous. after about 5 min i felt like i was with friends. since then i have been to lots of meets and met many people who i now consider to be good friends. so beside the contentment i get from a beautiful creative expresion of dance i believe that it is the reason i have met so many people with similiar interest (besides poi). i know that because the people i've met through poi that i am going to miss living here much more than i would have otherwise.

without poi i would never have been camping in the middle of a field escaping the rain in a huge gate house at 8:00 in the morning with a bunch of people i just met doing a workshop on propellors (sp?)(and having a lightsaber duel)

or staying with awesome friends in london for an incredible weekend

thanks guys and gals (you know who you are)

sage

sunny

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
I can't answer the bit about importance of twirling to me (since I don't twirl [yet]), but I can understand the root of the question having had various long term "compulsions" which filled my out of work hours almost completely. My latest one is my Kendo which is also a lifestyle thing and also consumes a lot of $$.

My advice to you is this: do NOT let any pursuit you follow (twirling/spinning etc) become an "excuse" to quit a relationship or anything. If you quit a relationship, do it for the right reasons and don't blame it on something like "he/she doesn't understand my need to do xxx". My wife doesn't understand my need to do Kendo, but she lets me, and I don't understand her need to do her things. We make accommodations to each others need to do these things. If the accommodations are only one way (i.e. by one person), then you've got to look at how important the other person is to your life and conciously decide how much time you need to devote to the relationship and your other life aspects.
Life should be about balance. Work/school, family, friends, interests, etc. Sometimes your interest is such that you can involve/include family/friends etc in them and then the balance is easier to find - well, less compromise may be needed! but you do need all these things in your life (in a personalised ratio of course and everyone is different) and if you think you don't, then you are fooling yourself.

Ooh - long story - sorry! Summary - how important is the relationship to you? If the importance is high, you should consider how you can compromise your own "selfish interests" to make the relationship work and still pursue the other aspects of your life which are also important to you.

Hope some of this helps.

George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo_Flux

I went to Play this year, and ended up meeting loads of ya, and also ended up doing some of the sound, which gave me a really big confidence boost.

clap you did well mate, you only manages to stop me twice from hijacking the rigubblol

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
George, thankyou. Definately aspects of that which i see and that make plenty of sense... Obviously, or maybe not, there are many other factors involved in this process for me, and i would not be selfish and just base this kind of decision around one passion which i have! I have definately caught the travel bug too, and intend to do more, also, i have become alot more open with people, and love the closeness in which this brings. But i find that this aspect also goes misunderstood and causes some difficulties. I have felt slightly, for a little while, that we have been drifting in different directions, i am just at the point of trying to acknowledge what they are and wether they are so different things must change?! If that makes sense...confused

There are also some serious emotional and person issues being dealt with that i'd rather not go into in detail, but these were around before other said issues arised, and they are becoming increasingly amplified. Maybe because the issues are compounding, or maybe due to lack of growth in these areas. But i know it's becoming a weight on my shoulders that i should not have to carry, at least not alone... and considering my past, another story, i don't want these issues to cause me to fall into habbits i grew out of.

Wow, now i'm getting carried away again, all in all though, thankyou for your responses. They are helping.... hug

Circus MidgetSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
Phwoar, I never realised how important spinning is for me until I sat down to try and say it. I've been at it for 2 years now, its just something I do. I love spinners, the people are the best! I instantly fell in love with everyone at CG. I can't dance in public, no coordination or style you see, but give me a staff and i'm all over the place! And I love teaching people to spin, it's like reliving the satisfactoin of learning a new move all over again!

I guess it brings people together, through the universal language of movement, the primal sexyness of fire and broomsticks, the 'doofiness' of psytrance, the desire to learn and to push your boundaries. I'm sure all this is in the brochure somewhere though. sunny

Hey sorry I can't offer much advice S3Knot, sounds like you're in a tough spot. I hope I never have to choose between spinning or a woman! I did meet you at CG and I must say that you did very much fit the scene.

Good luck! hug

"It was me! I was the turkey all along!"

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Thanks, much appreciated... Your experiences are as good as advice... Ive forgotten your name, but i think i remember who you are!
hug

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Sorry, but I'd probably chose spinning over the significant other. I've compromised too much about myself in too many situations over the last four years between school, work, and relationships, to give it up. It's like spinning is that last inch of me that no one can take - although, airport TSA did try one time during winter break.

When I spin, I'm free, and no one can touch me. I can do things I never thought possible. See, I have a bad knee, so it keeps me from really being able to dance like I would want to. But with poi, I can do whatever I want. Seriously. I've even been spotting on the random occasion sitting down on the trunk of my car, butterfly-ing for no reason.

However, I can understand your predicament. Why don't you talk to your significant other. There may be a quite agreeable solution.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Circus MidgetSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
 Written by: S3KnoT

Thanks, much appreciated... Your experiences are as good as advice... Ive forgotten your name, but i think i remember who you are!
hug

No worries! I'm the one who brought the hammock to gnor, and you drew the cool logos on it! She loved it btw, you should have seen her face! biggrin

Hope ur doing ok.

Mike. hug

"It was me! I was the turkey all along!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm...'kay.

When I first started so many years ago. I was obsessed. I practiced for hours a day. Keep in mind this was back before "jedi" when the 5 bt weave and anything btb was new and challenging.
However, I am not a big part of the festie culture as far as attending. I live in an area fairly well devoid of a real spinning scene, but when I do meet spin folk I usually have fun.

I come to this from a different perspective. It has developed into another medium for my performances. It isn't even a major part of performing for me anymore. While I love all of what I do, I also have family and friends that I love. I can be a hippy/artist on the weekends, a business woman during the week (as well as artist) and a mom always.

Spinning is just spinning.
It's exercise. A physical outlet for emotions. An art. A dance. Sure. So are lots and lots of things.
But in the end, it is just something to do. It comes with fabulous people...and also jerks. You may meet awesome people through these gatherings but if they stopped spinning, wouldn't you still like them?

Spinning comes with ALOT of cultures and lifestyles, not just one. Each with it's own plusses and minusses.

I think instead of making your life decisions based on spinning, you should make your life decisions on what you want in life, and what you need. Take spinning out of the equation. Think what you would want, the kind of people you would want to spend your time with if you could no longer spin...and base your decisions on that.

I've seen so many people come and go. Most start with "I'll never stop spinning!" and after a few years..well....life changes is what I am saying.

Just my opinion though.

Best of luck.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I've seen so many people come and go. Most start with "I'll never stop spinning!" and after a few years..well....life changes is what I am saying.

Just my opinion though.

Best of luck.

It's funny that the "I'll never stop spinning!" people are usually the ones that you blink and they're gone. Perhaps because they've been distracted by something else equally shiney that "I'll never stop doing!"

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

It's funny that the "I'll never stop spinning!" people are usually the ones that you blink and they're gone. Perhaps because they've been distracted by something else equally shiney that "I'll never stop doing!"

True enough...and it makes me giggle every time I hear someone say it. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
I see where your coming from, and i totally agree. But i am not exactly passing the whole story on through this question i have asked. If i remove the fire aspect, everything still stands. But i cannot remove the fire/spinning etc. aspect because its what i want, where i wanna be, and its something I am driven towards expanding in my life. I use the fire twirling aspect of it to ask on here because its what we all have in common and we know what lifestyle changes can come with it... I do not mind if my partner is not into what i do, but when they come down on me for doing it and make it a negative, or make me feel like im causing issues by doing the things that i love, then i have a problem. I do not want to go out to have a spin and instead of enjoying it, have negative thoughts plague my head. Its not nice!
If it comes down to what i want, and what i need, then i want to follow the path that has fire twirling involved, and i want to travel, and i want to be involved in things along these lines. Not forever, but its where im at now......

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
spinning is the one thing i have to myself. none of my friends do it. i wouldn't let me ex do it (he tried to share EVERYTHING)
it has gotten me through a really hard time in my life. it was an unhealthy relationship that the poi actually masked (you know all that bruising and aerobic ie losing weight)

but whenever it got to be too much for me i could pick up my socks and walk down to the park and the ex knew i would hit him in a second if he bothered me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
It's not so much the art itself as the community, the people.

I used to spin with a cold grim determination, desperately trying to plough through learning something new as I tried to figure out the 'few tricks you can do with a couple of bits of rope'. I'd avoided the 'net thinking I could figure out anything I wanted to know myself and I'd be better for it that way.

I didn't do too badly exactly, working out crossovers, the weave & 5bt, butterfly's and one handed butterfly's, BTB3bt, all over 3 or 4 years of very intermittent spinning, but just ended up with an emotionless look of sheer concentration I never thought about or realised.

seeing some vids here nearly a year ago finally changed things for me, and made me determined to seek out other spinners and learn, and meeting other spinners changed EVERYTHING.

Everything I think about spinning, and everything I think about life.

Sounds ridiculous and extreme, but it's true for me, it made me re-evaluate huge portions of myself, my thinking and the way I've been dealing with things, from perspectives I'd never managed to pick up on before.

I still have worries, I'm still unsure as to what to do with my life, worried about how I'm ever going to earn a good home, which I would like to achieve some day,

but it doesn't consume me, it doesn't own me, and if it starts to claw at me a little at all I can release myself losing myself in spinning, or far better, WITH spinners.

It's given me a clarity of vision which I'd never had before, which is enabling me to start to deal properly with the rest of my life. It's given me a decent perspective on all the tiny things that could seem so important that society tries to teach you to get stressed about that really just DO NOT MATTER in the grand scheme of things, and are barely worth giving a thought to let alone stress over, after all stress no matter how small is cumulative, and can kill in many different ways.

I lost the most amazing woman in my life to the state I'd gotten myself into before. It's almost certainly too late to ever change that the way I would wish. Sadly it was losing her that gave me the kick to go and seek out spinners, I so wish I'd pushed myself into it before instead of plodding on with more important seeming stupid immediacies.

I wont let myself fall into that again, and if I was in a relationship I know it would be vital to me that my other half could at least share in something that means so much to me.

If they could not find great joy in at least ONE aspect of the scene, be it poi, staff, CJ, dance, or even just the social side if they had no affinity, interest in, let alone even the smallest of skill with the arts, then it would be a terrible disturbance, and cause great distance, for they would not be comfortable where I would want to spend so very much of my time.

After all how can you share your life with someone that cannot share your life?

You have to find a balance with the things that are important in your life, and spinning for me is one thing that very much is.

Spinning on my own now brings me an emotional freedom, a feeling of enlightenment, a very real physical feeling of stress leaving me, that can only be achieved from it's association with my time with other spinners

you guys are BRILLIANT

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Amen to that Yakumo...