Page: ......
tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
I thought i would start a thread for people interested in fire staff juggling,i am really interested to see any videos of people throwing two or more staffs,and in particular anyone taking it in new direction.
I am currently working on routines with two and three staffs and contemplating a serious attempt at the four staff shower,

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
bastl,shower,i cant do a cascade,

josh,i think i understand,it just feels like being able to do a four staff shower 4up would help with the five staff shower??also how can i have a hole without havin the other four in the air??

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
tim -next time we meet you will learn it wink it will let your view about 3 staff possibilities explode biggrin

josh -slacker come to vienna wink -sorry i couldn´t make it, but i will, maybe end of summer hug -sillyness will happen ubblol

_told the fishfable to wes peden
_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tim_marston

josh,i think i understand,it just feels like being able to do a four staff shower 4up would help with the five staff shower??also how can i have a hole without havin the other four in the air??

tim if i remember right,
you actually do it , but you don`t know
4 in the air means - proper in the air,
so too empty hands for 2 more staffs would lead to a six staff pattern
maybe i come too feuerkunst for a night and show you what i mean

and bastl you´re the slacker i´ve been in Vienna
have you been in Berlin confused biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
"maybe i come too feuerkunst for a night and show you what i mean"
juggle beerchug juggle

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Sorry not to have clarified my definitions earlier, when someone were to say to me, 'I can do a six staff (staff being at least a meter in my mind not to be confused with a baton) flash', I would assume then that means that they could then nearly always do a six staff flash, instead of I can sometimes do a six staff flash, or I tried it a bunch of times and got really lucky once on video. And to me having a proper clean flash would correspondedly mean whosoever could hold the patten at least sometimes for more than six throws, and although I believe juggling six fire staffs in theory possible, it starts reaching a humans phyical limits.

So yes, from juggling three balls in one hand to properly juggling six is a really big step, and from three staffs to six staffs is a much much bigger one.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
i found the one!!!!!!! biggrin
it was strolling in florence to a park ubbloco

--Late biosas---
tired to watch videos,let's go juggling in the street.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
???????????????

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
@tim: some post ago we were talking about 531 with staff and i misunderstood the meaning of 1 in the pattern(1 with balls and club it's also called zip i guess)
i went in florence to buy kevlar and with some people went to play.there i found the ONE:)

Back to the meaning of the thread,and always about the 531,ok i found the 1(finally)but friends told me that throws can be done from inside or from outside.The true 531 it's easier from inside,imho,theese days i've tryied to make the outside with bad resoults.

Againg about in-outer thorws: 4440 and also columns.Antti throws from outside,and it seems to be the only way to still with colums,but can be done with inside throws??

LAst things: balst it's a wise guy,training the left hand it's not just funny(because sometimes staff goes anywhere) but also very very very usefull!
Today right shower and left shower for 2times ...doing that "running all over the place like a dog chasing its tail to catch them all" smile smile smile
I love you for saying that!

--Late biosas---

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
darimoth,what exactly do you mean by a 1?
with the columns inside throws are definatly possible,i can do two in a column with inside throws,
i cant wait for this video from ima,perhaps we should start thinking about more videos,maye with fire??

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
tim try to look at some siteswap site or information because talking it's harder that just watching animations smile

anyway 1 should mean that the"object" is not thorwn in air but just excanged from one hand to the other one,2 means that it stay still in the hand without changing hand and 0 that the hand is empty.

All other numbers are a throw,but pair(4-6-8) means that the hand who throws catch the item(lika a colum for example is 4),dispair mean that the itam it's thrown to the other hand(3-5-7).

Obvusly the higher is the number the higher is the throw.

So 531 means that: (5)right hand throw very high,(3) left hand throw non to high,and then (1) it's the right hand who exchange the staff to left--->(5) left throws high and so on..

About colums: with 1.20 cm lenght staff inside throws are harder,i find it simple to do it outside smile at least it's working for me :P

--Late biosas---

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
ubblol it´s not really whise to realize that if you have 2 hands, use them both to juggle... wink

for this stafflength discussion, david an me use 100 cm staffs ...for patterns like millsmess, rubensteins, etc it´s a compftable length, 120 would be so much harder to find the space in the air to make the under the arm catches ... biggrin

_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
bastl always one step forward...
mill's mess? O_O
men i'm looking farward to meet and learn from you smile

--Late biosas---

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
damn,replacinfg the kevlar give the staff a different weight frown

ps am i the only stupid guy to to some fire training sometimes?
biggrin

--Late biosas---

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i also train with fire,it is very important if you want to be a good fire performer!!!not stupid AT ALL,

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
different weighted staffs are great, one of the best training methods i found, tells you loads about the staffmovement in the air, and ways to controll it wink

tim is right, without regular fire training, you won´t play comblicated patterns on fire, cause you need to retrain all figures constantly so you don´t burn your self all the time with the different ways of "holding" staffs

darimoth, are u at uber? like your 2 staff shower meanwhile going downstairs wink

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
no uber 4 me,i have exams close to the dayz... frown

About fire training,i agree at all in doing that,not just because i'm in love with fire but also because when it's dark the eyes has to look to the bright point..and men 6 point of light in the air are too much without some train.

Found thet is easier to catch if staff has some white strips in the middle,so the fire can light it and looking at that can help a lot to see the turning in the air.ubbloco

One of the hardest problem(with fire) it's to throw duplex and catching right ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: darimoth (1178095323)

--Late biosas---

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
"different weighted staffs are great, one of the best training methods i found, tells you loads about the staffmovement in the air, and ways to controll it "
wise words

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
Back to some siteswap lenguages:
nice siteswap that can be played!
Last 3days was all for that,unsuccessful with 3 staff,so i'm trying with 2 staff and 1 ball to take a good control of the 1 movements and timing.

501 is another siteswap that make me crazy smile

--Late biosas---

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Following a recent discussion with bastl i was wandering how many people on this thread peform any of the tricks they have discussed on here???(As we all know getting a trick or routine to a performance level is a lot more involved that simply learning the trick.)
personally i plan to perform all my tricks which is why i have only a few staff juggling patterns,

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
Well tim,if you have some solid 3shower and 3 cascade you can get into evry siteswap you can,doing it once or twice and then back to the basics,and also the pattern can be done with mixed items so performance can be more and more open to new solution.

--Late biosas---

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have a 3 staff cascade going now not great honestly but my staffs are large and mismatched but they all do double spins
my shower is also not show material yet. I'm making some matching and slightly smaller staves to pracice with not having 3 the same yet.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
To sorta answer your question Tim... Or not.. anyway.. I've been getting back to double staff juggling a bit. Mostly due to a few big shows where I have to do more than my best. I really concentrate on quality, speed (+ tempo changes) and some expression. I'm still stuck with my old routine material doing it over and over again but I feel that after letting it rest for a bit and now really putting a lot of work into it again it's getting to be better than ever. I sadly have to admit that I can't share everybodys enthusiasm about developing new tricks. And reading about siteswaps and multiple staffs bore me to death at the moment. But I'm very pleased at the same time that you guys are so exited about all this and I have seen some really impressive videos lately.

But don't get too worried. I have a few new tricks. And I hope to start exploring the double staff contact juggling also. If anybody got good tricks for that style please let me know. I'm just too busy to put in time to practice new (juggling) stuff at the moment. But to derail this conversation to another style of juggling staves here's a few basic contact juggling tricks that come to mind:

Inner shower with a contact catch
---------------------------------

Fairly simple in theory atleast. Right hand throws an inner throw from the front (go ahead... do a back cross you slacker) and left hand catches the throw into a vertical steve in which staff is transferred from the left to the right where you can either grab the staff and throw it again or do your preffered contact style throw. Then do it with two staffs.

Angel rolls in between
----------------------

Throw the other staff from right to left and left to right as in the forward figure 8 spin. At the same time transfer the other staff from left to right and then right to left with an angel roll. Face west on the first side and then turn 180 to face east for the other side.

Yep.

Point your toes.

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
complete patterns with fire

_kaskade

_revesre kaskade

_crossed arms kaskade - side chops

_half shower

_sometimes shower

_sometimes mills mess

complete patterns with UV or daylight

everything above +

_mikes mess

_high up mills mess

_rubensteins revenge

to be honest i mostly perform some of this tricks, it´s very rare that i try to get them ALL into one routine, but wait for play ubblol

and even more important i don´t really perfrom all this tricks clean, i can hold them, enough for juggling festivals or cooperate events, but not for big stages..anyway 3 staffs is just fun, fishtales seems to become my serious way of performing wink

addict
446 posts

Posted:
And when do we get to see your fishtail routine ?!??!!???

Point your toes.

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
at some point of time wink

there is a 2 minute vid existing, my replypresent for megs "cowboyfishbop" vid, but david an me want to first perform this stuff live at play, mayebe uberparis, and get feedback. maybe release the vid after play, -it´s not really great videoproduction, just a simple skill vid, but we will see about it. maybe we produce a higher quality vid about the topic first.

but come to uber or play to see it live and laugh at us biggrin

and antti you anyway wanna come to vienna this summer or autumn, don´t you ? hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it's not just a skills video!

You have a costume, a character, cool music that works well with the spinning, and not a bad background. Better than most videos in other words. I would surely like to see a video made of the same stuff with more "not skills" stuff added. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Give me a link to it. Can't find it. Thank you. Please.

Point your toes.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
couple of questions about how you guys staff juggle, with 3 sticks (cascade) I do double spins they don't go very high and are VERY like juggling clubs, do you throw high to give yourself time or stick to a tight beat of similar spins?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I guess it depends on what you mean by high but I guess that the centre of the staff peaks about 1-1.5m above my head (double spins). I think it's good to work on being able to juggle at different heights (or with different numbers of spins) but the important thing is that each staff does the same numbers of spins i.e. that you have control over the number of spins, whatever the height.

Oh, btw, I define one spin as one full rotation of the staff. It's useful to have two different coloured ends to the staff so that you can more easily tell if it's completed its rotation(s). I also think that this is something that makes staves different from clubs i.e. that you can do 1.5 spins and they are no different than complete spins in terms of catching the bloomin' things smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
show ya soon mynci smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: ......

HOP Newsletter