Forums > Videos > practice practice practice

Login/Join to Participate

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
here's a vid i threw on youtube of me practicing for a bit. my only problem with the vid is you can't make out the blue glowstick very well :/ The first few minutes are sloppy, but it gets better (i think anyway!)

edit:

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Unsure as to whether you want crit on this, but hey you posted it so I guess so! So, here goes;

you get better when you're not watching yourself (I find I have the same thing: I figure it's to do with not having your head turned at a funny angle to the rest of your body wink )

A lot of glowstringing style there: have you been on glowsticking.com?

a lot of it was weave>buzzsaw>wrap>bf buzzsaw (from what I could see) maybe think about trying to put some more variation in there: your hand positions tend to be the same a lot of the time: try moving the pattern around a bit:

posture: straighten that back! wink

Try spinning to something slow: Find your favorite most chilled piece of music and spin to that. If possible avoid trance/dance altogrether, you might find Banco de Gaia a good option. This will also help you no end with getting planes and timing sorted. Guitar soloists are good because they go from really slow to really fast which makes you practise a broader range of speeds, and thus control over you poi.

Heavier poi will also help you spin slower: maybe get some sock poi?

smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
I've taken a lot of your criticism into consideration. I put in an order for a pair of foxy socks to practice with, as socks seem pretty solid to practice with.

That vid i took is was practicing my wall planes with weaves, butterflies and buzzsaws, and some transitions between that are hard to make out with my arms. I used mostly shoulder wraps as i'm trying to get away from the contact type stuff. I can do all sorts of wraps, double wraps all over my arms, body neck and legs to help keep things interesting.

My walls need a lot of work, but i've been getting them in check. I have a lot of bad habits that i'm trying to break. i want all clean planes so when i learn new moves i learn them the right, non-sloppy way.

I don't know a lot of moves I should for having done this for 2 years. I've been working on flowers, btb, and >3 beat windmills. 5bt reverse is still hard. I like to throw in butterflies where i'm doing two beats with one hand while the other only has 1bt, and change back and forth which hand i'm doing the 2bt with. it leaves a cool effect for the watcher.

When i switch between my fire set and glow strings I have to get used to the feel all over again. I like my heavy fire set, and i think it's what i should practice with. "Poi Nirvana" is easier to get the with those due to their slowness and weight. The strings i like to whip around real fast, and i think that has it's place too!

I think i do a lot better when i'm not watching myself either. I do the best with my eyes closed, and spin most of the time like that. I'll keep up on the practice, and push myself to learn new stuff. i'll post some more vids once i get better!

oh, i have a video from the fourth of july that shows how much my wall planes have improved. it's here if you want to watch!

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Glad you got something out of the crit! smile And yeah, your wallplane stuff was much better!

if you want to get everything uber clean, just cut it down to the most simple terms you can (even spinning the poi by your sides) and pause in each position you put your hands in until you're certain the planes and timing are clean.

Practising with different weight poi is a really good idea, each different set has different 'properties' and responds in a different way smile

good luck! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi