sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Just looking for some advice really.
I have HUGE overheating problems after purchasing some new tasty bits for my PC.
I have a large case with large font and rear fans, and an air tube to the cpu fan, but its not doing the job.
Anyone got any advice on watercooling? it seems rather scary after the cash ive spent on other components! i dont want them to go swimming!

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I've had this problem recently, i had millions of fans, but my processor was stil reaching 70C. This was until i realised all my fans were blowing in (not good) you need one set blowing in and another sucking out, preferably on opposite sides of the case.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Before you make the jump to water, here are a few other things to consider.

If the fans are mounted onto the sheet metal of the case, which has holes cut in it, then a quick way to increase airflow is to cut away all the metal that's in the path of the airflow.

Axial fans (where the air travels along the axis of spin) can't cope with back pressure very well, so anything in the path of the airflow can reduce it substantially, as the fan finds it easier to push air in circles than along the axis.

Wire fan guards are OK if you want to keep things out, as they don't block too much airflow. You should also tidy up cables inside and especially round the back of the computer to make sure there's as little resistance as possible.

You should also check to make sure that the air flowing out of the case isn't being recycled into the intake fans ( so don't put the computer under a desk).

CPU coolers are stupidly designed, as the motor in the middle of the fan, and direction of airflow through the fins means that only the outermost edges of the fins have air moving through them. if there's space to the side of the CPU's heatsink, take the axial fan off the top, put a sheet of plastic on top of the fins, and attach a radial/blower fan to one side to blow air through the entire surface area of the heatsink.

Even with water cooling you've still got the problem of moving heat from one place to another, and the added problems of a lot more stuff inside the case to restrict airflow.

Considering how p**s poor the design of PCs is as regards to cooling, I'd guess they were designed by someone who lives at the North Pole.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah tell me about it!
thanks alot dude, the cpu fan idea is spanking, i shall go home and have a play, thank god i have a temp. gauge or it might have been a bit more messy!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Might need a look at uk.farnell.com or maplin.co.uk to find a decent fan. Don't bother with anything that has sleeve bearings, they wear out after a year and make loads of noise.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Mine hit's the 80's and 90's quite often, I have a very hot pc biggrin Butit seems to work reasonably well so I worry little.

I do have to run with no side on tho or it gets to hot and shuts down.

My mate had water cooling cuz he's a computer tech and likes to pimp his beat up, he went away one weekend and when he came back the cooling had died and thus so had most things in his pc. It was quite funny in an ironic kind of way.

Now his case runs two exit fans and one input fan and he never gets above 40degrees.

When I had overheat problems I eventually fixed them (erm...reduced them!) by cleaning out my heat sink and cleaning out my power supply. My computer is over 4 years old now and had built up an amazing amount of gunk, dust and general shite inside it. Poor littel critter has probably smoked a kilo over the years......

Let's relight this forum ubblove

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

I do have to run with no side on tho or it gets to hot and shuts down.

ditto However the annoying thing is that most of the kit is new!

Im running a dual core processor on a sapphire board, with 2 nvidia cards, 2 hard disks and some other bits and pieces. it means its a bit cramped in there! i dont personally like running with the side off, but theres just no space for air to get round well.

Polarity - i cut away all the grills and had a proper cable tidying session, and it has helped a huge amount, still abit on th hot side but, so much better.

dunc- thats exactly why im nervous about water cooling!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Coming from somone that works on a large amount of computers a day dont even think of touching water cooling i have seen it done i have also seen it go horrible wrong more times then its gone right.

its prob ur dual core that causing the problem so stick a heat sink and fan on top of it

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Yep, PC cooling is generally dire.
Says someone who studied a lot of heat trasfer at Uni.
And after a lot of work now has a nearly silent PC.

IF you want some better advice you might need to post the spec of your components.
also check that there are no processes chewing up your processor/ running it hard unnecessarily and thus causing it to overheat

and as a temporary solution, take the side off your case, that normally scores at least couple of degrees cooling
Bigger temporary solution: go to the bios and UNDER-clock it slightly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I mean really, just put your computer in the fridge... https://www.overclockers.com/articles975/

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You don't have the guys in the research labs in Antarctica bitching about this problem so there might be something in that...

You don't even have to leave your seat to get beer

(I don't drink, but see - I'm thinking of you all... Admittedly in various states of undress but still...)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
The article about putting the computer in the fridge is cool

Proper techie stuff

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I have 5 fans connected to my computer.

1 large one at the back as an exit fan
1 for the hard drives
1 for the PCI express video card
1 fan sucking air in over the cpu connected to the tube going straight to the CPU
1 fan over the heatsink of the CPU

My computer never runs above 40degrees I believe biggrin

All fans bought from www.rlsupplies.co.uk

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
6x120mm biggrin

(guess which comp they're in)

My desktop has 7, down from 11, as I've got a seperate file server now and don't need so much cooling.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I had a dream that my new computer arrived in a big bath style freezer, for ultimate cooling. But it wasn't assembled, which was quite odd.

Suddenly, I will have a computer that isn't 5 years old... Previously the cpu and psu fans were enough to cool my pc... Things have changed a bit it would seem.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
BUMP -
I dont like fans now.
Stoopid noisy buggers they are.

Want to go fully watercooled, or even OIL COOLED! grin