Forums > Social Discussion > Airport Security Tightens, UK 10/08/06

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
For those who don't know, or intend on flying out from the UK today...

16 men were arrested in connection with suspected terrorist activities today. The plan as such, to blow up explosives in the hand luggage midflight. Due to that, nearly every UK airport is on max security. Queues, for check-in and going through security gates galour. Also, changes to whats allowed in hand luggage has changed, and only the following items are allowed:

Written by: BTI UK Travel Alert

UK AIRPORTS BAGGAGE POLICY

Bulletin issued by BTI UK Travel Alert Service:

09.05 – 10 August 2006

Please be advised of the following development(s) that may impact your travel program:

Further to today’s national security alert at UK airports, the Department for Transport (DoT) has issued additional security measures. With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

-pocketsize wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));

-travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

-prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

-spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

-contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

-for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

-female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).

-tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

-keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to a secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above; all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

Thoughts anyone?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks stout - haven't been aware of this.

Don't anyone share a thought that the detection of a dumped liquid explosive could be staged?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Staged? I don't think so, mainly because I can't see who would benefit from staging it.

One thing I have noticed about conspiracy theorists is a certain level of, errrrrrr, paranoia. There's an underlying concern that these conspiracies are staged as a means to impinge on. and eventually deny a persons civil liberties.

It's been five years since 911, and I'm at a loss to determine just what civil liberties I've actually lost. I'm not talking about the loss of my ability to take my own brand of drinking water on a plane, or the fact that I have to take my shoes off before boarding a plane, as those really only amount to minor inconveniences when it comes right down to it. I don't like it, but I wouldn't call it a loss of liberties.

For more "insight" see prisonplanetdotcom or propagandamatrixdotcom.

Hummmm, prisonplanet seems to be down, I suspect the government wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Whatever about the conspiracy, Have a read of this page stout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

then this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act_controversy

Between the two of them, and the extensive list of external links... (coz the wiki aint got it all... Its fast though, and im in work.) You should get some idea of the civil liberties you have lost.

Love is the law.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
True, the Patriot Act does make it easier for the government to spy on me, so I guess that's where I've lost a few liberties, but it hasn't affected my life at all, even if I have visited a few subversive websites.

Hey,,,two guys wearing suits and driving a dark sedan just picked up my trash.

If I were all that fussed about my privacy, I wouldn't leave a trail of everything I bought and everywhere I've been by using bank and credit cards.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think what people are concerned about stout is that:

The government is allowed to spy on you more. Without your say or knowledge.

Then the government is allowed to 'detain' people for an unspecified length of time who they suspect of being terrorists.

Then the government decides or fabricates evidence that you're a terrorist.

You have no public support for your case because you're a terrorist.

and then they do that to anybody else who could conceivable appose the current party.

Then they do what ever they like.

yay poetry!

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
You figure that eventually, they'll apply the patriot act to people they simply don't like ? I won't discount the possibility, however I'm not convinced that the world is going the way of China under the Cultural Revolution,,,yet.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
not the world...

https://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen

searching google for "voting machines exit polls" is also quite fun.

I wouldn't really be surprised if bush or one of his relatives sat on the board of a company that makes voting machines...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
some links from the geeks...

feasable?

Titone!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

I wouldn't really be surprised if bush or one of his relatives sat on the board of a company that makes voting machines...

Not quite.

--------

OK, so there are no major losses of civil liberties yet. But the structures are being put in place that would allow our governments to have a lot more control over our lives in future.

Why would they want to do this? Well if global oil supplies are running out, and if they are running out quicker than expected (due to China and India developing more than expected and using more oil), then in 50 years the [censored] could hit the fan real [censored] hard. The limiting factor on the human population is oil, by our use of it for food production (fuel for growing and transport, chemicals for pesticides and fertilizers) and medicines.

I've seen speculative papers saying that without any foreign oil imports the UK could support a population of just 2% of current. And that's if everyone is organised towards producing food and doing not much else.

You only have to look at the milatary posturing of countries like China and Russia (who have been supplying cruise missiles to Venezuela, Syria, Libya and Iran that can sink aircraft carriers, with no defense as they fly at ~mach 3 15' above sea level) to see that oil supplies are being carefully protected by all the major powers.

Anarchy is understatement for what will happen to humanity if oil supplies run out, and our governments may well be preparing for that. Making sure that people are unaware of what is coming up is part of the plan, so they can stay in power long enough to get the pieces into position, instead of people panicing and it being really difficult for anyone to stay in power long enough to get anything organised.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I handled TATP once (over 10 years ago) and on hearing that the bombers were attempting to smuggle liquids onboard it's the first thing I thought of. It's ridiculously easy to make, and the quantity you could make from just 2 litres of reagents would cause pretty serious damage to an aircraft. It isn't something you'd want to keep stored, as it goes off at about 50C and is also destabilised through contact with metals and other chemicals, even chemicals in the reagents if they aren't pure enough.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

OK, so there are no major losses of civil liberties yet.

Really? Random searches of backpacks and other large containers on the subway (a public space, really, even if it's fare-controlled) isn't a loss of civil liberties?

What they're saying is "If you don't like it don't take the subway." But there's no alternative because if you're in a car they can search you, too. So the only alternative is to walk everywhere, which isn't really an alternative.

THAT'S how it's happening, slowly but surely. And now they can detain legal US residents (and possibly citizens) for an indefinite period without charges, trial, appeal, or recourse. And that means that it can't even go to the Supreme Court because it's "secret." Nasty little legal trick.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
By major I'd mean having your every whereabouts logged using the RFID tag in an ID card, same as needing papers to go places and prove who you are all the time. Not quite NAZI Germany yet, but getting there with CCTV everywhere and ID cards close on the horizon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

THAT'S how it's happening, slowly but surely. And now they can detain legal US residents (and possibly citizens) for an indefinite period without charges, trial, appeal, or recourse. And that means that it can't even go to the Supreme Court because it's "secret." Nasty little legal trick.

It's funny how it's so little different from china or nazi germany. In twenty years time we'll look back on this at laugh at our failure to see the repeated pattern in histroy. Y'know? If we're permitted by the government to laugh at all.

The holocaust was only stopped because germany was at war, and we won. If it hadn't been at war, would we have gone to war to stop it?

Who'll rescue us when the 'civilized' western nations go barmy and facist?

I can only hope that one night in the future, I find secret copies of V for Vendetta and Fight Club. And then finally I can become a mask wearing wig bound freak that blows things up! Woo hoo! My destiny!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: polarity

OK, so there are no major losses of civil liberties yet.

Really? Random searches of backpacks and other large containers on the subway (a public space, really, even if it's fare-controlled) isn't a loss of civil liberties?

What they're saying is "If you don't like it don't take the subway." But there's no alternative because if you're in a car they can search you, too. So the only alternative is to walk everywhere, which isn't really an alternative.

Oh jeez... Doc with the Backpacks again.

Don't get him started.

I think the lesson is "If you make Doc late for work WHATEVER your political beliefs are, Doc will vote against them."

[Hopes that Mike doesn't slrip on a gay rights flyer on the way down the stairs or he'll start voting Republican.]

wink wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

I can only hope that one night in the future, I find secret copies of V for Vendetta and Fight Club. And then finally I can become a mask wearing wig bound freak that blows things up! Woo hoo! My destiny!

sorry.... the future?

T ubblol

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ok, maybe not the world then, sheesh I have to get out more.

Conspiracy theory over the liquid explosives ? That's new to me, so I'll refrain from comment.

Advance preparation for a doomsday scenario? Hummmm, it can't be over peak oil, because, as everyone knows, we'll all be dead from global warming by then, or we'll be starving because the hole in the ozone layer burned all our crops to dust, Not to mention overpopulation.

About the backpack( and car) thing. Is this a completely random search, and is it limited to NY only? To me this qualifies as a loss of liberty, over here, this sort of thing only happens sporadically at special events, and usually the searches are for liquor, because we have the same problem with drunks "ruining it for everyone else" too.
What happens if they find contraband other than a bomb, or something else suspicious like a backpack full of obviously stolen goods?

Not even close to Nazi Germany or China......yet

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Apparently in the last few days some hijackers diverted a plane from Turkey to Italy. They had no weapons at all. They were polite and offered food and refreshments to the other passengers.

So it seems all you really need to do is ask nicely and the pilot will take you where you want to go...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's been said before, but I feel the urge for repetition:

a) 2 countries have been invaded
b) (at least international) travelling documents will bear biometric data (that has to be collected in the first place)
c) people got detained, incarcerated and tortured as they were suspected terrorists. Actually the German citizen Murat Karnatz was released only recently, after 4 years of imprisonment...

4 years of his life. From 20 - 24!!!! Without any help from his (and my) government (who knew about the plot)... The reason why he's free is maybe just because he's a German citizen. I don't want to think about ppl who had been unlucky enough to be born in Afghanistan/ Iraq or elsewhere. I am certain that there are ppl imprisoned 4 - 5 years without their families having any clue about the fact.

Conspiracy theory. Somebody stated this before (dunno guess in the 911 fraud-thread): You don't need a theory, knowing that your govt has been involved in building up terrorist cells, or entire terrorist organisations in the Middle East and Central America.

How much proof do you actually need, that regardless whether the US govt has been directly involved or not - it's a an organisation that benefits terrorists. And I am willing to admit that it'S not the only (western) govt that has completely fcensored up morals.

Look at the french govt and what happened to Greenpeaces "Rainbow Warrior"... and by far that's certainly not the only case.

The purpose? You are seriously asking for the purpose of this entire theatre? umm

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And anyone who knows me well knows that I'm level-headed enough to be the last person to start talking about conspiracies.

I don't necessarily think it's a conspiracy, per se, but it is an example of some very power-hungry and racist/culturalist leaders taking advantage of a convenient tragedy.

I don't think that the US government caused 9/11 directly (as in commissioned, planned, or intentionally enabled the attacks). SOMEONE would have blown a whistle by now. However, the timing couldn't have been worse.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Now we have such a range of threads on the topic that it's kind-a odd to tear ones opinion in pieces and post them all over the discussion board...

Look: liquid explosives were used (as much as we know) ONCE, to attack an airplane. Until a very short while ago, you could take bottles on to the plane (not talking about all these "duty free whiskey bottles")... I hold not sufficient informations on how much impact 1 liter of Nitroglycerine can have, but I assume it's enough to bring down an airliner...

Why didn't we happen to face more than only ONE attack with liquid explosives? Why has there (co-incidentally) been one finding of a liquid explosive, JUST AFTER the airport security tightened?

IF one would want to use liquid explosives, it's still possible...

Besides I was able to accidentally "smuggle" my nailfile onto the plane (flying from Munich)... was thinking about reporting myself rolleyes

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
They stole my chocolate paste frown
...but they didn't see my chocolate puddings and chocolate mousse *evil laugh*.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Page: ...