Forums > Social Chat > Batteries/Portable CD Players

Login/Join to Participate

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im sick of getting ripped off on batteries. There such a rip off! If you want to spin to some music outside you need a portable cd player. The buggers need 8 batteries and you dont even get a good weeks playtime out of them.

I took a cd player too a mini poi meet in plattfields park and on the third cd the batteries started to die, 6 where brand new that week and two where found around the house, fine I understand the two had been used allready but come on 6 where brand new angry

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
umm

....rechargables?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
buy rechargeable ones! My cd player only takes 2 AAs by the way (and it was free on freecycle!)... maybe get a more efficient one?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I know it has been said already, but : rechargebles.
I listen to mine permanantly and a get a good few days worth of music before i need to recharge.

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
live drummers.

last time i went to a spin in sydney a guy had set up his own rig that ran off a car battery.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Mice on wheels producing energy...

Nuclear fission...

Solar power...

The possibilitys are endless...

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Just so you know, if you used 6 fully stored batteries, and 2 used, the used batteries drain the fully stored. Resulting in a shorter play time of music. The dead ones/used ones, drain and kill the newer batteries, so if you use your cd player again, i advise you use each battery, fully charged. If not, get yourself an ipod. Some can cost as low as $100 (USD). Take care.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I know I know they exsist im just having a winge. I had a worse experiance with batterys once, I bought some from a pound shop thinking oh im so clever, got them home and they didnt even have enough power to even read a cd lol

God you'd think in 2006 they would come up with a decent battery that dosent cost an arm and a leg to buy once a frickin week.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Firstly... I think any CD player that takes more that 4 batteries has in built speakers (a hi-fi as such) so... he'd still need to buy speakers to play the iPod from if he wanted it like that... if not, just buy any portable MP3 player...

But you are aware... iPod batteries have the life span of a jont around HoPpers... mine is sposed to last 15hours.... i'm lucky to squeeze four out of t before a recharge...

shrug

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If you can afford it Joe, they're selling that MP3 Speaker system I have at Sainsburys for about £35. (Used to be £99, I got it for £70) It's rechargeable, goes on for longer than 3 CDs worth of music...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think I should buy some recharchables, allthough Ive never actually seen them, in real life or even in a catalouge, does that mean ive been living under a rock? hehe

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Yes... go to tesco/sainsburys/wherever.... say to someone... can you point me to rechargeble batteries....

Dont forget to buy the charger tho wink

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Do what I do........you can take a portable CD player, you know like a walkman? dont know if thats what you call them over there but the little portable ones that use 2 to 4 AA batteries, the ones that are just a bit bigger than a CD it self and use a set of computer speakers they plug right in.....the line output is the same so you can have music for everyone in a nice small package and the batteries dont die so quick and are less expensive.....I figured that trick out after going through the same BS as you Joe......works like a charm wink

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
if you get the sony cd player, that also plays cds full of mp3's

when you load an mp3 cd, the disc doesnt spin all the time, it loads it all into memory at the start then the disc stops spinning

this means that battery life is incredible, as its motors that suck battery life the most

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
b&q have 4 batteries and a charger for under 20 pounds

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Get some NiMH batteries, and don't forget the charger. In my digital camera (a huge energy-drainer) they last for absolutely ages.

Willy - is bad for your health...

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
And go for the good ones.

Batteries are rated by mAh, which is basically how long they should last. I've seen NiMH AA batteries in 1200 mAh to 2700mAh, and it's definately worth paying for the better ones, and a decent charger (crap chargers ruin perfectly good batteries).

NiCds are usually 600mAh so they're pretty much useless these days.

I put my batteries into sets of four, and label them so I use and charge them together, (to prevent half charged batteries from flattening the charged ones, like RaveRepresent said).

If you want to be running something like a small stereo with speakers, you're probably best off getting a lead acid battery. Car batteries aren't suitable, as they're designed to put out a huge amount of power in a short time, and don't like being drained completely. The best bet is a sealed lead acid battery, and an inverter to turn 12V into mains power. Buying all the bits seperately can be expensive, so luckily there's a way to get them all in one unit.

You can get something like this on eBay for about £50-£60 (half of that can be shipping as it's a bit on the heavy side). Xantrex is the brand to look out for, as they make some of the best 12V to 240V inverters, which is the most complex electronic part in the thing. Mine gets hooked up to a laptop and an old portable stereo, and I can do mixing pretty much anywhere. The thing has so much built in it's more use than a swiss army knife.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
the only problem i find with portable walkmans and speakers is the volume isnt that great, well compared to a cd player thing.... but maybe its cos i get the cheapest available....??

but mp3 cd players are definitely the way to go, batteries do last ages....

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile