Forums > Social Discussion > Posting on HoP when you're supposed to be working....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Happy Friday everyone! biggrin

Since discovering the wonders of HoP (thanks Malcolm!!! hug ) , I’ve had 2 different jobs. My job in London was sooooooo not busy, so I spent most of my day searching/posting on HoP bounce I’m temping at the moment, and it’s the same situation – no work = lots of time on HoP. biggrin

Don’t get me wrong, I have days where I’m really busy, but these busy days don’t happen very often.

I know there’s loads of you out there probably in the same situation – based on the number of people who spend all day on HoP when supposed to be working ubblol

So… my question to you is…. If you’ve got a job where it allows you to post on HoP all day…. What is it you’re supposed to be doing? ubblol

In London I was supposed to be a Marketing Exec for a Paper Manufacturer, and in Bristol I’m supposed to be a Programme Administrator for the Environment Agency.

I’m trying to apply for a “proper” job at the moment, and every time I think about it, I get “the fear” that I’d actually have to work 8 hours every day redface ubblol

Maybe all office jobs are the same shrug it’d be good to know where you all work, and what sort of jobs are of the non-busy type…. wink

So come on. Spill the beans….. what is it you’re paid to do? And how much time does that job actually take up?

Questions Questions…. Answers on a post card please [or post it here ubblol ]

grouphug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
supposed to be cataloging objects..but not quite doin it...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

My job rocks... in general. biggrin

I work as a tape librarian for The Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, which basically means that I help to get all the programs ready that will be played out in the next week or so in Europe and the Middle East, and make sure that they all have the correct audio language ready for playout from the building in which I work.

It involves 12 hour shifts (8 -> 8), lots of spreadsheets, working some nights, some days and some weekends. I work 2 weeks a month, but do illegal hours of work per week due to length of shifts. Unfortunatly, the contract I signed says they can do this.

Most of the time when I am on a night or a weekend shift, there is hardly anything to do, so for example, last night, I slept for 4 hours to pass the time... which was nice.

We usually get takeaway pizza and watch a dvd or two over the course of the night, as well as having a few naughty ciggerettes. biggrin

The day shifts can be busy, but thankfully as they recently re-orgainised the management and roles here, I dont have much to do.

Shame it will only last until end of September shrug

*curls up on the sofa in the canteen and falls asleep* biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Shut up jon! tongue

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
well considering half of my work is done at home (writing evaluations for Family Court), i spend a lot of time procrastinating and going online *coughlikerightnowcough* but i'm a psychologist in private practice so i don't get online too much while at work cause i'm in with clients most the day. if i do get a free moment, i might get online to check email but i also don't have consistent internet at my office.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ry

ubblol

Well.. If I'm lucky, I manage to get in 2 posts during work. Always flat out, nearly every single minute of the day's allocated to something I've got to do.

Well I'm delighted to hear you (now) have a job that uses at least some of your vast talents Ry!

As for me, I used to run my own business writing materials and running trainings for adult education. Could mostly work when it suited me.. so I could post on HoP all day and work all night if necessary. I am now a professional traveller researching events *cough* and hardly ever see the internet ... wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm an administrator. It sounds dull, but it's actually quite cool!

I work at a business school, but in a small department that deals with education and training in the charity and voluntary sector. My job is answering queries from staff and students, keeping records updated and generally making sure our courses and events run smoothly.

They also trained me in dreamweaver and I'm responsible for updating their web pages and compiling the newsletter once every two months.

I like it because I'm the only one (except my boss) who's in every day keeping things running. I get quite a lot of work some days, but other days it's really quiet so I can post away on HoP to my heart's content. biggrin

I've only been here 3 weeks though, so novelty will wear off eventually, I'll get bored and spend more and more time posting... I'm not sure what the 'rules' are concerning internet use at work, just sort of hoping i don't get in trouble!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

Sounds good - i like dead people smile

anyhow....... as ive been working for 7 years here i decided to start looking at jobs, i just found one 6month contract £80,0000 per year! eek

for a surveyor in Iraq.

Obviously its danger money - im half tempted to apply, would you?

on a serious note strugz, try looking in qatar, my mums working out there and ive been once this year, and will again in december. theres a lot of work out there for A LOT of money and qatar is IMO a good place, a lot of building work but a nice place and it would be a wicked experience. might even be able to help out with some links if you want, just gimme a shout.

and yes im at work wink

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i'm a sandwich artist at the moment, so i don't get to post at work anymore... i am, however, supposed to be doing some washing (laundry, and dishes), going to buy some concrete, and visiting my grandparents...

i might do the latter after lunch... and i'll go put some washing on now or MiG will kick my ass when he gets home tongue

Thanks for the reminder.

*wanders off*

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Ah.. I work for an outsourcing company on a project providing EFTPOS and electronic private health fund claiming services to allied health professionals.

Basically messing round with contracts, occasionally taking calls and chasing up documentation. Lucky for me, there's lots of down time (on most days that is) and so I get to chill out on HOP..

Seeing as there's no net at home, stealing HOP time at work is great.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im in a *study period* at school right now smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
shoulldn't you be at your nearest fast-food outlet then?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aparently we cant leave during our frees, one of my friends found out recently with a detention frown

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The bummer with being a consultant engineer is that all my time I have to charge to someone, which effectively means long posts are off-limits and I only get smoko time here. Who'd have thunk I'd miss admin positions.

This post I'm going to charge out to PB Consultancy as I don't like them.

Strugz, if you'd be interested in travelling out to sunny Oz you'd get surveying jobs on a working visa no trouble, they're desperate here.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
yeah, thats what they always told us aswell. but then they introduced swipe machines for our student cards so we could sign in and out electronically from the student services counter, the library, or the cafe. so we'd just sign ourselves out on frees and off we go.

offtopic

EDIT: i have a feeling this thread should be in chat, and not discussion.
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1153967448)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I spend most of my days getting covered in dirt, in noisy environments, and so, unfortunately, have little time to spend on the net at work. I make up for it at home, though smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
I work for the governments Health & Safety division. So I get to check out HOP at lunchtimes, and when I've got a quiet period. Of course it being the civil service, it's always a quiet period. wink
It's always nice when people ask me what I do for a living, especially when I have a burning staff in my hand smile

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
I work in a product testing lab for a company that makes meters and strips for diabetics to test their blood sugar. At the moment we're really quiet, so everyones wandering around looking for some entertainment, rather than reading the web based training we should be doing....

It's OK though, the people I work with are all internet junkies and I have the best seat in the place - hiding round the corner from the boss!!!!!

It can be fun at times though, my job. Not what I went to uni for, but it can be fun playing with blood... devil

ooooops and of course, helping people to "live life without limits" is rewarding too.......

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
In fact, my boss is on the web designing his fantasy football team....... so I think I'm pretty safe! biggrin

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
at the moment, i am typing this with one hand while practicing a palmspin isolation in the other, while sitting at my desk at work.

okay back to two-handed typing now, that was just going too slow. i probably spend too much time looking at forums (between HoP and tribe) but i do get my work done. right now, it's friday afternoon, i'm alone in the office, and my next project cannot be completed until our budget is approved by one of the higher-ups in the city bureaucracy, so i really can't proceed with what i need to do now anyway...so here i am.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: