Page:
SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
This is the noise that is supposed to be moving teenagers away from british shopping area's.
https://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/audio/nyregion/20060610_RINGTONE.mp3

Supposedly you can only hear it if you are in you early 20's or younger. Some smart ass has made it into a ringtone so kids can have their phones on in school.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
It's a horrible horrible noise!

Was watching the news a little while ago. Some guy had the device fitted above his kebab shop as youths kept trashing it and giving him abuse. Don't know whether or not it worked..

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ooh it hurts!

Well I am 25 and I can hear it. My 5 yr olds (who both have ear problems) can also hear it, but don't seem bothered by it shrug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
If I went somewhere & I could hear that, I wouldn't go away, I'd find whatever was making it and destroy it with great predjudice

horrible noise

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Can't hear a thing, guvnor. But my sense of smell is excellent. Do i get extra points?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm 25 and can hear it, unfortunately. It's really annoying, I bet mollydog would hate it too!!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Do you have any information about who actually plays this? The ringtone idea is a very good one, however assuming that everyone under 25 or with good hearing is going to cause problems is amazing! I would be willing to turn up in these places and cause more problems just because of how rude I think they are being.

Edit: I found this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/04/04/mosquito_sound_wave_feature.shtml

Edit again:

This is what they have to say about equal opportunities

Written by:

Equal Opportunities

The Wyvern Theatre recognises that many people in our society experience discrimination or lack of opportunity for reasons which are not fair. These include: race, religion, creed, colour, national and ethnic origin, political beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability (including mental illness), HIV status, marital status, responsibility for dependants, appearance, geographical area, social class, income level or criminal record.

The Company will challenge discrimination and lack of opportunity in its own policy and practice and will help other organisations and individuals to do the same. As a company we must try to aim to create a culture that respects and values each others differences and to see these differences as an asset to our work as they improve our ability to meet the needs of the organisations and people we serve.

Well, it doesn't look like they actually care about the age bit then do they? Do they now want people under 25 to enjoy the theatre or the space about it? mmm... mad

Edit again:

I've just sent them an email, asking why they did it, and saying that as an under 25 year old I find it offensive. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Sym (1150301987)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yes i can hear it, cheers seye, as [censored] as my laptop speakers are, they didnt really need that, especially when i was in the middle of listenin to a wicked atmosphere track

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I can hear it. But its jsut a type of 'white noise' and from having years of hearing tests when I was much younger, white noise rarely bothers me now. I just switch off to it, even though it leaves me ears ringing for a while afterwards.

I heard about this on local news a while back. some shop keepers are having devices that emit this sound to deter kids from congregating outside their shops in large crowds. And being from an area where this is a problem I am actually for shops doing this.
As for it being a ring tone aimed at kids, I don't like it. I don't agree with children having mobile phones in school, they have no need for them whilst they are there.

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
27 and can hear it fine, unfortunately ubblol

We used to have a tv at school that made that noise on standby, and no teacher ever switched it off because they couldn't hear it.

But seriously, with all the money shopping centre make off people under 25, why would they do it?

Apart from that, Sym's right, it's plain and simple discrimination, and could probably be punished. What about mothers with children, or even babies? Do they have to suffer that awful noise all the time while shopping? I'm not sure the noise of 250 babies crying out of frustration is much preferable.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i can hear it, but don't find it that irritating. If i wasn't aware i was supposed to be listening to it, i'd probably just think it was my ears ringing and continue hanging around in the shopping centre... not that i actually hang around in shopping centres anyway.

It's mean though... what about all the poor youngsters who slave away their weekends working in crappy retail jobs in shopping centres, that's just one more thing to ruin your day...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I'm 31 and I can hear it.......unfortunatly

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
the wierd thing is that.....I can hear this....practicly.....every waking hour....

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
yeah i know what you mean, it's similar to electrical hum noise.... but slightly more whiney, a bit like feedback, but not so high pitched... high-pitched is actually a lot closer to what i was expecting.... unless what i am hearing is completely not what everyone else is?? how would you know? i think in this thread people should start describing the noise they can hear, so i can check whether or not i'm actually deaf/imagining the noise/hearing something completely different/my speakers aren't actually working... then i can answer the poll biggrin

in a similar vein, do those whistles that only dogs can hear (supposedly) actually work? i need an eloquent dog to tell me that, maybe the just come running because they hear their owner huffing and puffing through a bit of plastic, suspect that they stopped breathing properly and come to save them! i guess we will never know....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Sixth, thats Tinitus.

As for the use in shopping centres, I had only heard it was going to be used by indepentant shops to prevent gangs of kids hanging around outside and causing a nucance. Something that is very common where I live.

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Can't they just chase them off instead of bothering everyone else with the sound, too? frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think that's horrible. I heard they were going to play oldschool music like Nat King Cole in shopping centres to move them on, but that rining is a disgusting joke!

Are they trying to chase away blind shoppers with guide dogs as well!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah, my ears just didnt enjoy that. as if you wouldnt just switch your phone to vibrate!?!?!?!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
im 27 and can hear it

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I just played it for my parents, and they couldnt hear it...but they're in their 50s so no surprises there.

However my dog didn't react, so my guide dog theory doesn't really hold up.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I'm only 21 and i couldn't hear it.....

think i need to get my ears checked....

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Couldn't hear a thing but then had fun on the main production floor at work with a set of large speakers {evil Grin}.

I'm now hated by half the staff hehehe

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
i can hear it, but the most interestinig is how many people can here the "TV Noise", if someone has a tv on, on mute, on the other side of the house i can hear the high pitched noise it makes, but it doesent happen with anything else. Its puzzled me for years.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i just tried it out with my collegues all of whom are 40ish and none of them heard it. I can hear it better if i tilt my head from side to side.

Gayle.....!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
26 and i can hear it even after years of abuse standing infront of 25K sound systems ubblol

*opens eyes* oh yeah redface

EDITED_BY: ravehead (1150371092)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: steaks

I heard about this on local news a while back. some shop keepers are having devices that emit this sound to deter kids from congregating outside their shops in large crowds. And being from an area where this is a problem I am actually for shops doing this.

*cough*

Well i can't hear but at least i can read! wink ubbloco

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The big deal that I heard about on the news the other day was that kids could use it to send text messages to each other, and thus cheat on tests, without the teacher noticing the students phones making noises.

Several school districts are trying to ban cell phones in public schools, and it is actually parents that are in an uproar about it. They are saying their children need the phones for their own personal safety and that by the kids having a phone, the parents piece of mind is eased because they will always know where there children are and can contact them if necessary. I'm not sure I agree with that. I grew up before the days of cell phones, and my parents had no problems waiting for a phone call to let them know I got home safely while they were still at work.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Can't see the point of using to cheat on a test frankly, vibrate would work just as well. Techonophobia I think.

I'm 20 and can hear it. Dad's nearly 60 and can't, though he did notice the crackling noise it made in my speakers as they struggled to play music and unpleasant high pitched whine at the same time.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I can hear it but as it went along I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but I can't have been as I heard it stop.

I can't hear the BBC one confused I'm 22
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1150380144)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
People have always found ways to cheat on tests. I dont think this will make much difference at all.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
With regards to using noise to stop teenagers congregating in certain areas: Where this is a problem in my area they play classical music outside the shops. It seems to work, and doesn't cause discomfort to any small children/dogs etc.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Page: