Forums > Social Discussion > pro-ana anorexia as a lifestyle

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ive recently been reading somthing positive (a web comic) and they mentioned pro-ana - intrigued i did some research and found this is it just me or is this slightly wrong?

i also saw this in the philosophy section of the and it made me laugh

Written by: plague angel

Don't believe everything you are told ... by anyone.

... question everything ...

... do your own research ...

... form your own conclusions ...

If the majority believes it, it is probably wrong.

murder is a good thing then? wink

even better is the "know thine enemy page" in which i found this quote

Written by: plague angel

While it is true that fiber is an important part of your diet, even necessary to protect you from some diseases, carbohydrates themselves are not necessary. There are "essential" fatty acids and "essential" amino acids (from protein), however there are no known essential carbohydrates.

now i havnt done biology or food studies etc for a while but im pretty sure carbs in some form are needed...

back

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Besides, school is out for the summer.

You can make your own people too, probably with equipment you have nearby.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hell, even half the people IN the economic structure debate think it's off-topic! Noone will take away your freedom of expression, Faith, I just don't think we're doing the topic any justice. I'd LOVE a media debate, though not in here, and given that noone else has picked up on it it seems I'm not the only one.

Maybe it's because most things about the actual topic have been said, I've certainly made all my points and every time now that I come back to see if there's something new it's about the media or Pat and the squirrels ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
keep talking about it
at least i've tried to apply it to the thread wink

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I agree with Birgit. I think pretty much everything relevant to the topic of pro-ana was already said by the time it was blamed on capitalism. Still, it was fun while it lasted.

I suspect that neither attributing it to capitalism nor to the media will keep the topic going much longer, and I have no more off the wall two-liners to stir things up.

I'll rest on the position that wrong behavior is still wrong, even if you call it an "alternative lifestyle."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh boo hisss

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hug just post it as a separate thread smile

I'll really be looking forward to that, cause while most that I know of American media is a bit scary, I've seen quite bad British stuff, too! Unfortunately I'm not in a position to really judge either, but I'd like to hear what people have to say smile

hug

*end of my off-topicness here*

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have even a clue why when trying to control one thing weight is picked? Is there nothing else? You could control, like, your hair or something... become very muscular... does it happen because it can be controlled with no outside resources, and in fact takes away some of your dependance on outside resources?

Can anyone think of anything else you could do that would have the same effect, and give you that same degree of "freedom"?

Or does someone else have another theory to throw out?

That one really stands up in my head when i think about it, but god only knows how sick i am, or how useless one head is when thinking about these things!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Some people use cutting themselves...

I think it has to be something you can measure easily, and with direct sort of results. You can see it as well as feel it, and some external measure as well. Hair, well it is easy to do. Food requires more discipline. Something sacrificed perhaps?

But I think people manifest this in a lot of ways, some more socially acceptable than others. Smoking for some people might be another example...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Andrea's right, cutting is one thing.

I did have a friend who was quite addicted to getting tanned and muscular, too, she's spend every minute either at work or in the gym.

Another thing (if you can afford it) would be beauty ops, to get your body to resemble what you think is perfect. Most people who do it on a reagular basis completely overdo it, think of Pamela Anderson, or Michael Jackson.

I suppose things like myspace, livejournal etc come into mind, too, where you create a "perfect" online picture of yourself, accumulate 250 friends, read every single thing that happens in their lives... internet-addiction and living on your websites is actually becoming quite a big problem, too, with lots of people not really wanting to face their "real-life" life.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey have to apologize to Pat for my mean and personal rant yesterday, I'm sorry I was just having a bad day and I took it out on you. redface

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
No problem, I never take anything on here personally. I appreciate (and accept) the apology though. hug

I've said a lot of crazy stuff on here that is sure to provoke. I wouldn't blame anyone for getting fired up over it.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

patriarch

I've said a lot of crazy stuff on here that is sure to provoke

like I said Cole... he's an anarchist posing as a christian fundamentalist neocon presenting utterly ridiculous arguments so as to undermine those positions...

its pretty similar to what the yes men do

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

the yes men rock biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I just read a term on a site that is even better than "anaphobic." Government funded nutritionists advocating a standard diet were called "food fundamentalists."

Everyone knows the "nutritionists" are in the pocket of "big food" and under sway of the consumption oriented Bush administration. wink

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

Everyone knows the "nutritionists" are in the pocket of "big food" and under sway of the consumption oriented Bush administration. wink

I wish I could be 100% sure this is a joke. I mean, I know its meant as a joke, but there are times when I start to wonder...

(PS I'm 98% sure it is anyway tongue)

As to the real topic, I suppose there is cutting as well. I had never thought of that as a control thing inasmuch as a way of proving yourself some form of worthwhile though (see what i'm stronger than, see what i can put up with...) Its a very good point tho.

People really need more help finding spots in life where they fit. I have to say tho, there's a mess of healing that has to happen as well when you leave a bad situation, you arn't able to just jump into a better one and utilize it....

What a mess. Really makes me think we're spending too much time treating the symptoms tho, as messy as the symptoms are!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I've only ever heard one in depth account of "cutting." For that lady, at least, it was indeed all about control. As I recall, she was screwed up by other people inflicting pain on her, and she turned to cutting because she could control the source of the pain.

It was a long time ago, so I can't remember the details. It seems to me that perhaps she hurt herself, but got a thrill from being able to make it stop. This gave her a feeling of power, the power she wished that she had over other areas of her life.

Happily, she was healed of her problem and now has a ministry helping others overcome the same problem. I don't know whether other "cutters" also are attracted to it because of control issues, but it would seem reasonable.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

ubblol

in the war against hunger you're either with us or against us wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so the pretzels are terrorists then?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

so the pretzels are terrorists then?

Well they did try to assasinate the leader of the free world wink

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah, but so did bikes. Repeatedly ubblol

Now imagine him CHOKING on a bike ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
silly! Bikes aren't part of 'big food'! Pretzels are thou... wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Hey Pat? Kiss and make up? biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

I've said a lot of crazy stuff on here that is sure to provoke. I wouldn't blame anyone for getting fired up over it.

Has anyone seen Pat post while Ray Phule drinks water? Anyone?

I know Cheney can do it.

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

ubblol

Hey Pat? Kiss and make up? biggrin

How about we share a pizza and and some ice cream... smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Make mine a Mexican Buddhist (one with everything with extra jalapenos) and Ben n Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie... ubblove

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Ben n Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie... ubblove

The first logical, well thought out point. Clearly the best flavor. I would have also accepted "Phish Food" and "New York Superfudge Chunk."

[Anticipates clearly inferior flavors being listed below]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sorry, won't do you that favour cause nothing beats my local Italian shop in my hometown anyways for making ice cream!!

Well, I think with the discussion of ice cream we've well left the topic of anorexia behind for now... wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thought I'd bump this thread as there was an article about this in the Times this week, and lately i've been seeing a LOT of very very skinny girls about.

Anyway today i was walking the dog (yes, MOLLYDOG!) with my mum. My mum has very skewed views on the world anyway, she cries when she sees a spider eat a butterfly, but still eats tesco chicken! confused ubblol

Anyway we were discussing pro-ana, and how awful it is. (well I THOUGHT this is what we were talking about) until my mum said "yeah, over in LA they have sizes which are smaller than a UK size 4! I'd be happy to get down to a 12, wow, a size 10 would be lovely. Mm, I'd love to be under 10 stone"

etc, etc.
This not only annoyed me, but upset me quite abit! My mum obviously hadn't grasped the fact that changing your body for fashion is just ridiculous. My mum's gorgeous and is not fat. Bring on the chocolate and cake. smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
At least you can try talking to your mum about these issues though...

I had three friends who were all very, very anorexic (i.e. locked up in an eating disorders unit) when I tried talking to my mum about them she came across like it was some kind of disease and I shouldn't spend time with them in case I caught it too! umm ubblol

Mums, gotta love 'em...

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
oh dear! It's such a shame isnt it. I think, as Bob Hoskins wisely once said "It's good to talk". Because ignorance causes prejudice. smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Page: ...