Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Yesterday while on my lunch break I was reading *shock* 'The Sun'(not exactly Britains classiest newspaper). But it had something in it that was drawn to my attention and I felt like posting it on here. It starts with a story of a young girl who's life was tragically cut short after being stabbed to death by a 'maniac' with a knife.

Anna Svidersky was a typical teenager. She loved Eminem, The Streets, and South Park- and couldnt wait to turn 18. And like millions of teens around the world she religously chatted to pals on the social networking site Myspace.com.

Just six days before her 18th Birthday on Apirl 20th this year, the Macdonalds waitress was stabbed to death.

The shocking story dominated the news in her home town of Vancouver, Washington, but would not normally have attracted attention outside the US had it not been for the global grapevine of Myspace.com.

Determined to keep her memory alive Anna's 252 registered online friends posted news of her death on the site. They composed a moving tribute to the murdered youngster along with a collage of photographs and sent it to all their contacts.But they were not prepared for the sudden outpouring of mourning their tribute unleashed. Within days Anna's tragic story spread the the Myspace community and spread across the world. People were making virtual pilgrimages to her profile putting video tributes on the net, one of which has been viewed a MILLION times!

Young people are saying it doesnt matter that Anna was thousands of miles away. It doesnt matter if they havent met her physically, "She is like us, she is in our space, she is using our language and we want to say something about it" It is Anna's online pfrofile itself perhpas which tells us the most about why so many strangers identify with her. It offers a revealing insight into her personality, right up unto the day she died.

Locked by a password only she knew it can never be altered or edited, it now stands as an eternal tribute to Anna, her short life forever frozen in time.

I read an article about this and felt the need to mention it on here, this place which to me is my virtual world. I haven't brought this thread up to invite you guys to make online tributes to Anna, I created it to make you guys think about the internet, this virtual world where the unreal becomes real. Although Anna didnt exist physically to those who spoke to her online or left tributes to, she became real in a virtual world, and so are we.

I told my best friend a while ago that if I ever died I would want him to log onto HoP and tell people what happened, because I know people would want to know. I just think its amazing about how the internet has brought thousands of people together in ways I never even thought possible, how thousands of people are grieving for a 17 year old Macdonals waitress they have never met.

I feel quite emotional about all this and my mind has gone blank, but it's a story I wanted to share, and I apologise for the typing, my space bar isnt working very well (plus im a crap typist).

I have been to Anna's profile, I dont know if I'm going to leave a message, but I invite you guys to have a look at it

https://www.myspace.com/sceneslut

Looking at her profile, even with the main title being 6 days till I'm legal, that was the day she died she wrote that, her profile is frozen in time. This storyhas made me think about so many things, mainly life death and the internet. A moving story I wanted to share with you all

Sending out love to my cyberfriends hug

Will

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say a blog's the perfect tribute for someone's entire life. But her blog is a representation of an important part of her life, and for those that knew her through that space. I'm sure that those who knew her in real life won't forget her.

People behave differently as they fulfil different roles within their lives. I'm very different, for example, as a daughter than I am as a friend, and I'd be horrified to find that my (very religious) parents had gotten a hold of my blog and found out some stuff that has been going on in my life. I'm taking a calculated risk by making that public on the net.

While the words she wrote will be there as long as her profile is, I'm sure she will be in the hearts of those who knew her forever. I didn't, and for that reason I wouldn't want to encroach on the grief of her family and friends by using her tragic death to satiate my own morbid curiosity.

That being said, not everyone has my scruples, and we shouldn't expect them to. The net is a public forum, and she was aware of that she posted.

I think the net is a powerful place to make connections that trancend space, age, social group (and to a very much letter extent) class, but unfortunately its often one-sided. Maybe this has taught me the importance of ensuring that I make the most of the friends that I have, both on and offline.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

i agree whole hartedly, that's just what i ment but articulated a whole lot more eloquently.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i wonder what people will think in say 80 years when most people who are on the net now are dead, yet there will exist all these photos and images and exerts from peoples everyday lives, will it all be destroyed once people stop using it?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

It'll all be destroyed eventually one way or another, either unused accounts will be deleted to clear up server space, or servers will crash and the data won't be able to be restored because the back ups are too old or something...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Page: