Page:
RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Hi every one! This thread is to ask you what you think about the idea of a world poi association. Poi is a hobby in great expension all over the world and we should soon be thinking about a World Poi Association. This association could contain a great tutorial with the official way of doing moves, the different dansing style and also a registration for school and events. The hobby would then become a sport like baton twirling. We could have national institution and regulations for schools ( like in martial arts) so that poi would evolve faster and would have the credit it deserve. biggrin It you have any idea about how to acheave this plz write them down wink
Cheers
Carl weavesmiley

what ever happen, pain willl not be the end.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? Why do we have to be "recognised" to know that we are having fun and doing amazing things?

I think we are receiving the appropriate level of recognition already. Higher levels would be intrusive and, if the responses to this thread are anything to go by, unwelcome.

I will repeat again my opinion that a formal organisation would change the culture of the community dramatically. And that I fear that the changes would be for the worse. I would expect to see a loss of the spontaneity, freedom and innovation that we currently see. I look at other pursuits that do have an association, and the sorts of regulation that come along with them build up over time creating a very formal process governing the "rightness" and "wrongness" of moves. This is extended into who can and cannot teach. I truly hate this idea, and yes, I know what a strong word "hate" is.

So sorry, hun, but no. Thats my final opinion and it won't change. Just as I am sure we are not in any way changing your mind by discussing this. *shrug*

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
lol recognition would only be for teacher mates.. Who cares if you are recognised or not in this world i totaly agree but this is not the point of my opinion. Who is talking about regulation.. This association would be to help build school all over the world and organize events. Not to do hitler style..

It might change the culture yes, but in an expand minding kind of way. Because it would show poi to the world. You like it underground fine;) You are righting like an association is a dictature lol . You really think that there would be la lack of spontaneity, freedom and innovation ... How would it affect this.... My god am i writing so bad in english. lol :P

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
This association i am writing about wouldn't start as a world one for sure. It would start by teacher of a province getting togetter to discuss teaching ways and organise events in there regions. And would grow from that to National association, etc It would not be imposed to spinner as most of you fear for some reason. It would be to get the visibility to make Poi an organized world wide activity.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
check out tribe.net smile

there are a whole bunch of discussions similar to what you're talking about

also, just a quick link to a site i never visit smile nafaa

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
From that statement, I am really confused about what shape you believe this association would take. So far I have gleaned that it:

consists of a bunch of people (it is not specified who)
these people would "choose the moves" (direct quote)
these people would also either decide the teachers or set up the process by which they were decided
whilst you wouldn't have to belong to this association, its aim would be to be the world body for poi

No matter how informal such an organisation is at its inception, it will have a tendency towards more and more regulation. So it is entirely possible that it will become an oligarchy (as opposed to a dictatorship).

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think I am alone when I say that I do not want that, and that I like things as they are. I don't want the product you are selling, sorry.

I also worry about your refusal to take seriously any of our concerns. If this is an indication of how this association would be run then it would become exactly what we fear.
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1147674068)

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
i respect your opinion, however remember that this is a suggestion that i am offering. Teachers would be who ever wants it to be. But you need to have skill to teach...Well at least basic teaching skills. The problem with what i am suggesting is that i am trying to offer a bigger solution to an idea that start from small. How can i specified who when i dont even know who its gonna be in my region..
The answer would be does who are willing anough to invest time in making this happen. For the move part.. we must start somewhere im afraid. There is not only one way to see that, but i am suggesting that the most experience people choose what are the moves they want to teach.

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
You are writing politic whilst i am writing cooperation wink

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rowyn

Teachers would be who ever wants it to be. But you need to have skill to teach...Well at least basic teaching skills.

And who decides what the basic teaching skills are? Isn't that why people post for areas and go to gatherings?

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
There is courses to take to know how to teach sports in general. This is usualy required (well in Canada) To be able to open a school of some kind. Now.. I know that poi is not a sport, but teaching movement is the main idea.

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
*well knowing the basic teaching methodilogy is the goal of this course:)

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
right, but you're trying to teach a hobby, for which the best training is simply experience. and everyone has their own experience, and therefore their own style. which is why, say one school under one teacher might work, but when you expand it, you get conflicting styles.

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
what is the problem with conflicting style.... I am talking about teaching methodoligy smile Everyone has there own style i do agree, but i dont see any issues with having different type of schools styles. I only see a good thing in that. Like i said before style and basics are 2 differents things. Of course teachers from differents schools will not teach the same way, but its like that in everything... And thats why there is associations. To talk about does things. Sharing experiences is the main idea here. biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
like on HoP wink

please explain what you mean by "teaching methodology"

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
To be able to teach correctly you need to know how learning is done and short cuts to get tob a results b explainning differently so that everyone understands.

I is also necessary to know the way to handle a group and animate them trew courses and manage courses by skills so that everybody can learn at their own rythm.

You also need to develop some parallel habilities that will provide necessary skills for the learning... Like coordination techniques and stuff.

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
You are right like in HoP but not on Internet wink

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Don't just limit it to the world:

The Pan-Galactic Hyper-Cosmic Poi Federation.

Rock on the aliens with their 3 armed tri-weaving
biggrin

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
My god you are right! :P Wanna be the The Pan-Galactic Hyper-Cosmic Poi Federation delegate mate?
You are already able to find name for the 3 handed moves. Good job! biggrin
wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well you do have persistence Rowyn!! hug
Have you noticed that this group of people opposed regulation/standardisation/centralisation in any form?

I think you were right when you said...

Written by: Rowyn

This association...would start by teacher of a province ...grow from that to National association,....not be imposed ....to make Poi an organized world wide activity.

That is.. start small; and if there is interest, and it meets a need, then it would spread.

So if you are in Quebec, try hooking up with your locals and maybe the NAAFA and see if it takes off. Could take years, and there would always be alternative associations/people going their own way.

But I promise, you will not get many people on this forum interested. They LIKE being underground wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Thank you very much Newgabe, My goal is to open the discussion so that the debate is open. I kinda realised what you said... wink
I respect their will to be underground wills. Altough I dont understand that need.
I appreciate your constructivity and i do realize its a really long term project. wink
Cheers and thank you for your support.
My goal is to invite people to start poi clubs (schools) in there region so that the weave of interest grows every where smile no pretention what so ever biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

Don't just limit it to the world:

The Pan-Galactic Hyper-Cosmic Poi Federation.

Rock on the aliens with their 3 armed tri-weaving
biggrin

Drew YOU ROCK!! wink

Mix me a gargle-blaster i'll be down on Zee Zee Nine Plural Zee Alpha for tea

There already is a world poi association. It's just not set up in the traditional way. More like a peer to peer network. It works just fine....

Anyway, a world poi association sounds way too much like the world juggling federation, and that sucks ass. help

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
hello
to me this term Association means afew thing rlly

1.a bunch of does and dont's which is'nt rlly that good if you think of this as an art

2.a proper way of doing poi????if you want to better the world go teach chav's or the u.s proper english grammer.there will never be only one way of doing staff or poi.

3.a stort like baton?yeah coz thats doing rlly well at the moment look at that following!

4.people also make a living off this kinda stuff how will your idea fit with that?

in all if there's nothing wrong with it why fix it?

love mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
have you really read all the thread? I explained what i meant by (porper way of spinning) like you said...lol
Baton has word championship mate and its pretty much like staff to me wink Teachers are paid to teach in every kind of Associations.
Im not saying that there is something wrong im saying it could be different.:D

Association does not look like federation to me...;)
Is peer to peer network better thats to be discussed wink

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Association is peer to peer anyway.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
Rowyn i think the point a lot of people have been trying to make is that there are all ready a fair number of poi schools and/workshops with people who teach pretty well even with no training

there already is a fairly codifed set of names (im sure that most people call a hyperloop or a tangle and understand what it is)

events are already organised (not very well but they work

- at the moment the impression im getting is that you want to make a world poi teacher's assosiation

oh

and like a few people have said - how would you run it? pay to become a member and discount entry to your events? members only events?

at the moment all i can see that will change instead of events, teaching and moves being organised by differnt people in differnet places with no relation to each other

you want them all organised by one organisation or at least with reference to one oranisation.....

back

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
clap Bravo Mr linden rathen. Well-expressed.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i think you'll find that apart from competitions and such(which as been discussed numerous times in relation to juggling) everything you want is more or less already in existance, except people teach others for the love and friendship of it and not because they get paid.

i believe the world doesnt need any more competativeness and structured organisations. if you simply look at the structure and organisation of big associations i think you'd realise that is not all neccisssary for people to be happy. i personally prefer going to a park and kicking a ball with mates to going EVERY SATURDAY no matter what the weather and wanting to winwinwin. playing whatever is only enjoybale if you want to do it, not if you're OBLIGATED. i think you'll find that all over the world thats what spinning is, a group of mates mucking around enjoying each others company, NO improvement needed.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Hi linden rathen , you are right what i am writing about would be an association that would grow from regional to may be world wide one day. The way it would work for money would probably be a fee to pay locations to spin. Events would be organised as paying events. Depending on the amount invested in them. It is true that alot of people like to spin with friend... But why not spin in a context where there is more then just your close buds. An Association would Help build events gatherring, Where now its not possible right now because of the lack of importance lonely spinners that are trying to organise events have. Of course it will need people to invest time in that.

People who beleave in projects. It wouldn't be an organisation that makes money. The money it would make would be reinvested.

The money take would probably be from subventions that are available for such organisations. And financement organisation, like gatherings in special places that people would come to see and pay a small fee.

Of course the more the association will grow the more events will be organised, the more money will be reinvested etc... Its all about good cooperation in a project people beleave in. wink
EDITED_BY: Rowyn (1147739545)

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Mr. majestic i see your point.;)... Altough what you are talking about is the samething as me.. but My aproach is a better organised one that will make poi easier to practice and more fun. because it will bring more people doing the thing. Im not saying that There will only be 1 teacher...

The teacher will be in charge of the group as the person in charge... So that there is a person you can go see if no body else can help you. The teacher, would be mostly for beginners to learn the basics like a said. biggrin

Im not saying its necessary for people to be happy, im saying it could make people even more happy.:)

Poi is amazin for the visibility it can get so why not exploit this advantage...( Now dont come to me because i said exploit... Remember that im french so my vocabulary is kinda basic) Im talking about an advantage. smile The winners in such an association would be every body that takes part of it.
EDITED_BY: Rowyn (1147738506)

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
sorry for my bad writing;) hope you understand anyway what im trying to say :P

RowynSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
linden rathen Im sure that alot of schools are pretty good already. Im just saying that if one day it would becaume world wide, we should think about giving these people a formation in education to help them with big groups :P

Page: