roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Two miners have been trapped in a mine in Beaconsfield, Tasmania since Anzac day (April 25th). One miner died but these two men remain.

Rescuers have been working around the clock to drill through the rock and the miners were meant to be out early Sunday morning but because the rock is apparently '5 times as hard as concrete' progress is slower then anticipated. Last I heard they had resorted to minor explosives though they weren't progressing very far. They have approx 3 metres to go.

Media have already tried sending contracts down the food tube for the men's stories which I find quite appauling.

The good news out of this, is that the two miners are in high spirits, and great health. The other night they requested chicken sandwiches for dinner.

On a sadder note, one of Australias well known news reporters Richard Charleton suddenly collapsed on scene in Beaconsfield and died instantly.

It's an incredible and miraculous story but at the same time it's a story filled with tradegy.

Any aussies heard anymore progress reports?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
OMG (refrains from explatives)

i dont watch the news or read the first three pages of the paper because of this. its stupidly over covered. about 100 miners a year die in australia and they dont recieve 1 millionth of the attention this has.

i mean yes its bad for the miners and their families, but the news coverage has been so intrusive and rediculous the story has lost all credibility to me. what is the point of the hosts of both ACA and today tonight being "live on the scene"? i dont see them rolling up their sleeves to actually help! every day since april 25 its been on the front cover of the local paper! todays headline reads "final thrust! short, dangerous slog to freedom" and then it goes on to repeat everything that had collectively been said over the past week........talk about up to date.........

OH, and check out this vital fact about the miners direct from todays paper, some really quality journalism here..........

Written by: The Sunday Mockery

Maccas on the 'wanted' list A trip to McDonalds in his ambulance is on the priority list for miner Todd Russel once he escapes the mine. but catching up with family is still No.1 for Mr Russel and trapped workmate Brant Webb

and i thought hop would be my refuge from this blown out of proportion blip in australian news. dammit.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

about 100 miners a year die in australia and they dont recieve 1 millionth of the attention this has.

that many? do you have a reference for that?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
well, no biggrin i cant be bothered to find it. but i CAN say for certain that at least 10 000 miners died in china last year and there wasnt this much coverage for all of those combined.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
indeed this has been some of the silliest over-coverage i have ever noticed, even from our absurd media. There was even a ten minute spot about how the townspeople are going to have a party when the lads get out, featuring amateur footage of one of them playing football some time or other. On the prime time news. (mind you I rarely watch the TV news, and this just reminded me of why. SO that was a good outcome, I won;t bother for another year or so.)
Courier Mail got caught out on the weekend though: had a headline about the joyful miners thanking their rescuers except oops, they arent actually out yet. umm

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I haven't heard about this but I did some research on those statistics that were discussed...

Approximately 11 workers die per day from mining related, ilnesses, disasters and infections according to CFMEU...which is one of the miner's unions in Australia....

But this would include people who mined years ago who are now dying from what they were mining (Asbestos related illnesses and the like)....

I always find any type of media coverage can be blown out of proportion that's why I generally just read my news online...then I can skip the articles I feel I don't want to know about, or have already read enough about...

I do hope these guys make it okay though.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
all the coverage may help union to get leverage about mining safety..

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
They are out. Piss up currently happening. Funeral for the one who died tomorrow. Mine safety? Beasley was bagged for saying it was the real topic (new industrial relations laws likely to reduce it) cos that was 'political'

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
One of my best friends wants to work in mining. The last few nights I have wanted to call him and yell at him.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear they are out tho....with barely a scratch on them aswell so i hear!

meditate sunny

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*comes in late*

i have to point out that this story does have a slight difference that might explain the added worldwide exposure:

these trapped miners were still alive after an unusually long time.

if they had died within the first week, there would likely have been very little worldwide coverage (like most of the other tragedies like this that happen every month).

but they survived way past the normal point (when the recovery would have been scaled down) - this *was* an unusually long rescue operation - and it was about 6 days into the operation that i read it in the news.

and now with hindsight, we can reflect that's its quite pleasent to get a media story with a happy ending once in a while smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Two observations from me coming up:

Written by: Rooooooarfire

On a sadder note, one of Australias well known news reporters Richard Charleton suddenly collapsed on scene in Beaconsfield and died instantly.

- i think that may have had a factor in the higher media coverage? shrug

Written by: Rouge Dragon

One of my best friends wants to work in mining. The last few nights I have wanted to call him and yell at him

Why? confused

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
cos ive been overreacting to the guys trapped in the mine. the whole "matt dont do that! dont risk it! NOOOOOOOOO"

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wink
hug2

Good biggrin

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
It's fantastic that they're out, but I'm getting sick of all the coverage now.

'reporting live from Beaconsfield'

'on our special Beaconsfield mine rescue edition'

'Todd Russell and Brant Webb'

'now we cross live to the pub that one of the miners is at'

'Beaconsfield'

'Miners'

'Beaconsfield'

Arrgh!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ah yes, all in a days work in beaconsfield, where the PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA drops by to declare the town can have a public holiday (yes, it happened), where J.Boag & Son donates a PALLET of beer to the town (so the resucers can get drunk and save them umm ). The lead singer of the Foo Fighters offering both the miners a ticket to any foo fighters show in the world, and a cold beer when they get there.

OOOOOOOOOOH, and my personal favourite, the media continuosly repeating the fact that the miners were given i-pods with their favourite music while trapped in the mine, and then showing a 7 second clip of a revolving ipod, on the news in prime time! *cough* product placement *cough*

in other news, now that the beaconsfield miners have been resuced all the news conglomerates of the would have unanimously agreed that there are no further stories in the world worth reporting and as a result will cease news publications in all forms from this day forth.

i wish

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
you forgot the Sustagen drinks and Mars bars which apparently saved their lives - then to cap it off, Eddie Macguire was there at the pub with them...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
well I know every detail now of the miner's lives/diets/commercial preferences back to five generations. But who's Eddie Macguire?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
now i believe hes the CEO of Channel 9.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
And an all-round top bloke*!!

*use of the phrase "top bloke" should not in any circumstances be taken seriously

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
And Oprah is in the bidding war for their story...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Not if I beat her to it!

biggrin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
*yoda voice* he who outbids Oprah, the force is truly with....

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I remember 3 Newcastle miners being buried about 3 years ago, and a crew got buried in Moura 5 years ago. I remember these because they're unusual occurences.

On an Australian minesite, you can't do ANY job at all without filling in a JSA (Job Safety Analysis); this includes everything from walking from one part of the site to another to driving a CAT 777 on a haul road. If you, as a worker, deem the risk to be too high, you are not obliged to do that job.

The mine manager is deemed to be personally responsable for safety. The one involved in the Newcastle collapse is presently serving a 7 year jail term because of it.

To get on a minesite you need to do a generis passport (2 to 4 days), a site specific (1 to 2 days), at least 3 drug tests and prove why you need to be there before you have any access at all.

After any incident an incident report form is circulated between all minesites saying what went wrong, why it went wrong and what we can do to fix it.

Chances are not taken with miners' and contractors' lives. I personally have shut down operations at an open-cut through seeing an overhanging rock on the highwall.

Ultimately you're deaing with unpredictable non-isotropic material with varying stress levels, it's hazardous, but risk is kept to an absolute minimum through necessity. I get paid a large amount of money to be in a mine, but it's not something I would do for any amount if I thought I wasn't going to walk out of there.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I accually work out in a open cut minefield and thats dangerous enough .

J.S.A , S.O.P , take five cards these sort of saftey requirements are important and if you found working outside these saftey guides instant dissmissal .

The rumor i heard was that the mines manager was at fault for makeing a incorrect decision .

(Puk coughs hear from coal dust .)

What annoys me most is yes there are a lot of deaths in mine's that you dont hear about .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
Too much coverage? I was glued to every second of it!

10 years of working in Mining, WA and Queensland, open cut and underground as a surveyor I would be comfortable with recommending it to any of my friends or rellies or even children saying they wanted a career in Mining. It's one of the most highly safety regulated industries in this country. Not the most glamourous life though.

ummm... despite the huge amount of regulation in the mining industry no amount of JSA's/take 5s or safety training or union involvement is going to prevent an earthquake (which is what triggered the Beaconsfield incident)

I hurt myself more, and saw more colleagues get hurt when I spent two years working in kitchens - where there is no regulation and very little thought for safety. (eg bad burns, cuts, and an arm that was broken in numerous places from punching dough down in a mixer) ALL of the kitchens I worked in, should they have been a workshop on a minesite, would have been instantly shut down.

There are many other very dangerous industries. Eg in the four years 89 to 92 in Australia saw 144 deaths due to tractors, and 93 deaths in the fishing industry. I guess these types of industrial deaths don't carry the same level of sensation as new headlines than the dangerous mining industry.

Hell there were 7 deaths in two weeks this year (april/may) in the building industry in Victoria alone!

I worry more about being killed by some idiot in a traffic accident on the road than I ever worried about being killed at work.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
If you ever get a chance to see Eddie Perfect's brilliant cabaret show, he does some very nice lines about product placement opportunities in natural disasters. And Oprah. And Richard Carleton dying of boredom...

Not to mention an entirely brilliant and very long song about a nice suburban boy who meets a chick with dreads who sets fire to herself whilst firetwirling. It all end in mass disaster and some very twisted lyrics.