BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Inspired by the "can one person make a difference" debate...

I'm trying to! Joined one of the freecycling groups a while ago, and stuff there seems to work really well.

People put up ads for things they'd throw out if noone wants them, or things they need that others may throw out, and lots of things get saved from becoming landfill (and lots of not-very-rich people get saved from having to buy stuff). I've been on it for a month or so now and have managed to get a printer, a foot spa, lots of plastic tubs and saucers and a candleholder off it biggrin

Here's the link:
https://www.freecycle.org/

ubbrollsmile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I have been a mamber of freecycle for a while now, and the only problem I've found is (in Cambridge anyway) things go very fast indeed. To get anything you need to be watching your emails all the time.

I've given and receved a few things though, I think more people should join smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
true about stuff going quickly... but then you don't HAVE to give it to the first person... for example, I gave away a book to the person who sent me the worst joke smile Quite a few people realise that those who can spend all day in front of a computer checking for freebies should just get a job instead and buy them wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am a member here in Oz. Its a pretty useful thing.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes, I've not given things to the first buyer, and I like the fact that enough people ues the system to make things going an issue!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ah yes, my dad mentioned this the other day, i've got a few things that can go on there...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
cool idea biggrin may have to join biggrin

back

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
My friend runs the glasgow based one, and updates us on some of the stuff that is going which is pretty handy- we got a fridge for uni on it! It's pretty funny hearing some of the stories about it, about competing over cactus clippings and the like!

I think they are a great idea.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
here

I've been a freecycler for sometime now but I noticed an article on it in the AP
It's about time it gains more recognition as it is an *amazing* tool.

I have given and received loads of stuff from some really fantastic people...and saved bundles as well as keeping things in the loop and out of the trash.

It's a pretty darn good feeling too.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Several of our local Islands have free "stores"-- basically spaces where you can leave free stuff in good condition that you no longer need. I get almost all my books at the local free bookstore, at the recycling center. Amazing what diversity I find there, more than the library for sure. The newspaper has a freecycling section too.

Clothes swaps are the most fun though!

Not the same but similar idea in some way, the BookCrossing website is pretty cool. Free books circling the world, being
travelogued and reviewed...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

Not the same but similar idea in some way, the BookCrossing website is pretty cool. Free books circling the world, being
travelogued and reviewed...

That's a really fantastic idea! I love it!

Pele

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I love bookcrossing and stuff like it. Some one leaves about 20 or so books on all the benches at my local supermarket every Tuesday. Each one has a message inside requesting that you leave it out somewhere for someone else to pick up when you have finished with it.

I use freecycle too, and yes things do seem to go almost straight away but then there are over 7000 members in my city. Last year I got a tropical fish tank, along with all the necessary kit and the fish!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I'm a Bookcrosser too. What supermarket is that, mis?

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Tesco *hides head in shame* Brislington. Bit of a trek out of your way I think Ann... I could always look out for something on your behalf though, you'll have to let me know what you like to read smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think that the speed of it is somewhat fun. Especially when it is something I know I don't *need* but think it would be fun to have.

What I love most is that I am not dropping it off at someplace like the Salvation Army, where I know (at least here) the employees get to pick out what they want before it even hits the shelves. It makes me angry. I know that by freecycling someone who will use what I offer, who will appreciate it gets it.

And they come pick it up from my house! That's completely selfish..but I like! wink

Our grocery stores don't allow that. frown

Pele

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I love the picking up idea, too. Though to be fair, a few people have dropped their things off with me when I asked which bus route was closest to their places and they took pity on me ubblol

I also like how both bookcrossing and freecycle make you pick up things you otherwise wouldn't have considered... like as I said that foot spa, I LOVE it, especially now in winter, but I never would've paid for it. And the same with lots of authors or styles of writing, you'd never spend the money for a new book or notice the name in a charity shop!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

Clothes swaps are the most fun though!

Couldn't agree more!

There is one in Belinas, California (small town in the bay area), just a shed where locals put clothes and other random things. It was great to see all the locals using it to dress up in prom dresses (and other ridicoulous fashions) to do beach clean-ups....

I love that town....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Around here though, people working at the SA or Goodwills are in just as much need of those clothes as those who shop there. a few homeless people work at a local SA and the low income families, their kids often work at the Goodwill and get the clothes that aren't completely embarassing for them to wear at school

For each piece of clothing picked up at a thrift shop like the above mentioned, that is perhaps one less bought at a more fashionable place, and that place donates the leftover rack to the thrift, so it works out...i found a brand new skirt still in season with tags at Goodwill, still wear it

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the reminder about Bookcrossing! I have been in it for a few years but lately not been doing much. Got a bit disheartened when I put put out lots of books and didn't get the feedback of people checking in' that they had found them. But I think I will try again now, just to get them out there... it was so exciting the time I actually FOUND some books!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Love the idea of Book crossing biggrin

My local freecycle list is always jammed with "wanted" ads, as opposed to "offered" ads. Recent examples included someone wanting a widescreen LCD tv, and even a house. I want those things too, but I'm not going to email a bunch of strangers asking them to give them to me. Fair enough if you're looking for something very unusual, no longer available in shops etc, but some people are really taking the michael. rolleyes

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Helen_of_poi

Love the idea of Book crossing biggrin

My local freecycle list is always jammed with "wanted" ads, as opposed to "offered" ads. Recent examples included someone wanting a widescreen LCD tv, and even a house. I want those things too, but I'm not going to email a bunch of strangers asking them to give them to me. Fair enough if you're looking for something very unusual, no longer available in shops etc, but some people are really taking the michael. rolleyes

Our Freecycle has AMAZING mods who are really on the game. If you post more wanteds than offers, they get deleted.
If you post wanteds for extravagant items, they get deleted.
Hell, if you forget and leave in your signature or forget to put your location it gets deleted.
They are really strict BUT it makes it an awesome place to give and receive.
Actually, I have to go pick up some stuff in an hour! biggrin

Pele