Forums > Social Discussion > Trying to be a better person.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking lately (no laughing in the back!) How wonderful the world would be without war, famine, hatred and greed.

I had a dream the other night where I was a superhero. Invincible. I brought the means to help the under privilaged feed and clothe themselves, I stopped disasters happening, etc. I tried to stop a war but I had a choice to make. Do I kill all the people who've killed others? do i take all their weapons away? or do i drop them into the nearest jailhouse, so they'd drain the economy? I believe this world's problems are caused by one thing. Greed.

What makes a person crave something that badly that they are willing to kill someone for it? What makes soldiers kill other soldiers and even civilians just to follow orders, even if their better judgement tells them its wrong? Why do people ignore all the bad things that happen around them, only the few helping, but when it happens to them, its the end of the world?

After watching loads of apocalypse movies, and movies where a great evil is being done, killing loads of innocent people, I've come to the point when I think that the human race is a lost cause. You cant brainwash the evil doers with new "love every man" programming as it would be morally wrong. We as people are dooming ourselves and there is no way out of the mess we've made unless a huge catastrophy occurs where we will forget our differences and band together for the good of mankind.

It's impossible to create a perfect world. People who try to do this are labelled either as Hippies or dictators. Ok dictators are at the other end of the spectrum, but it was just an example.

Is there any hope for us? We're killing our planet, our neighbours and ourselves in various ways, bad diet, excessive consumption if drink/drugs and it really worries me! Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering if we can make it another day before blowing our planet up.

My question to you all is, can one person make a difference?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
bounce2 BECOME A RAVER bounce

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
honestly, i don't think so.

Sure, if everyone stopped buying cage eggs, then cage egg farmers would go out of business. If we all stopped buying maccas, then maccas would go out of business.

But if i stop buying macca's? i don't think they'd even notice. Ideallically, we'd all do the right thing, morally, environmentally, and morally, but, realistically, and a couple of other cally's i know, it wont happen.

A side effect i just thought of is this: What would happen if everyone did stop buying McD's? how much of an impact would that have on the economy? Sure, every town hs a few more - a couple hundred unemployed kids, but globally? with not as much meat demand, what would happen for the farmers? the truck drivers?

Anyway, that's off topic.

Yeah. I don't think any one person can make a difference. Cage egg farmers aren't going to stop sqeezing every last cent out of their hens because one person doesn't like the idea of caged chickens.

Only together can change be effected, methinks.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
umm cause raves save the world?

it depends. what i find annoying is people who tell grand stories(movie writers) but lack the ability to actually make REAL plans of purpose.

i'm just waiting for the 3rd world war and hoping tassie will make it through, after all, georaphically we are basically the most out of the way place in the world.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I guess one person can make a difference if they get other people to join them.

Yup, by then it's a group, but it takes SOMEONE to start something. It took a woman to refuse sitting in the black area of a bus to start one of the biggest human rights movements, even though the anger and frustration was there in lots of people before that. It took 1 person (or a few) to develop solar cells, and they make a difference for anyone else who wants to go for renewable energy.

Often groups of people are just waiting for someone to make the first step or show the direction.

Sure noone's gonna save the world on their own in big superhero-action-style. God knows IF the world can be saved, but anyone can do their bit and get others to join.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Can one person make a impact for good on the whole world or on all of mankind? I think it is very doubtful if not impossible. And that might not be a bad thing, because then it would be easier to make an impact for the worse, and that is already easy enough (I am not even going to go down that raod).

But, I definitely think that one person can make a great impact on their own personal world, those people that they come into contact with either on a daily basis or just once in passing. If you live your life true to yourself and (as has been posted in other various threads recently) follow the "do unto others" mindset, I think that you start positive chain reactions. Whether or not the chain reactions carry on or not is another point, but you have done your part.

I just know what a great feeling it is when someone does something unexpectedly nice and giving of themselves. Whether I see it happen to someone else or it happens to me, it raises you up. And you want to keep that feeling going. That's how I like to think one can affect their world in a positive way.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
of course one person can make a difference.
Jesus made a difference, Gandhi made a difference, Buddha did, Mohammed did, etc etc....
Each day when my postman delivers the letters, he rings the doorbell, has a cuddle with mollydog and has a chat- little things really do make a difference.
If one person thinks "i'll ride my bike to work instead of driving" they're making a difference. No matter how small, each step is getting us on our way smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
agrees wholeheartedly with Jo...

We are by definition social creatures... Thus the actions of every individual has consequences for everyone around them... Like it or not your actions change the world.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Well, everyone wants to be "happy".

What is rather unfortunate is that some people have a very skewed sense of what makes them "happy".

See A Brave New World, an excellent book i think is better than 1984 at conveying what lies for us humans in the future. Will we take away "choice" and replace it with perhaps drugs and brainwashing (ie mass-media/public education/consumerism- not even government) so people will think they're happy with what they've got- and scarier yet, isn't this already happening in society?

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TinklePants

Have you ever heard of the millionth monkey principle?

smile

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
You can make a huge difference in your own life. So,if you have a vision of the world as a peaceful healthy place, doing things to bring that about in your own little portion of the world will likely make you happier, and allow you to feel good about yourself. If you do it in a direct way, you can see direct benefits within your community. That is certainly a feasible goal, I see people doing it successfully all the time. It is pretty exciting, really.

People may see that example, and be inspired by it, and also bring their habits into alignment with healthy sustainable living. Maybe, somewhere along the way, you, or one of the people you inspired/nurtured, may have some kind of brilliant idea which could also have significant impact on the grand scheme of things...

Or, you could leap in with abandon, and reach outside of your community, like that boy who decided they needed more wells in Africa.He could not beleive they had no drinking water. His name was Ryan, I think. He was about 10ish when he started. Amazing what he accomplished, in a area of the world he had never even been to, and with no more resources than you or I. Lots of people now have water because of what he started. Huge difference...

But in the meantime, enjoy doing what you can, where you can, and be the best you can be.Day by day.

" be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandi came up with that one.

" dont worry be happy" said another inspiring individual.

Who knows what individual will be the next to move us to be better people?

It could be you...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Tinkle, it is possible to create a perfect world. I do Landmark education and it works. Sure people who try are sometimes labelled, but there is hope and we can all make a difference. We just need a paradigm shift or two smile

Indi Wiki link Landmark Education

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
"Even a drop can raise the ocean"

That's something graffitied to a bridge near where I used to row and I find it very motivating. I always wanted to be someone who could make a difference in the world, which is why I wanted to be a diplomat. But after travelling last year, I discovered there are other ways to make a difference.

The example I always refer to when telling people is about two gypsy boys in one of my classes; none of the other students would work with them because they were "smelly" "disgusting" "stupid" or "pigs" and it used to break my heart to hear 10/11 year olds say such things about others in their class and so I always did my best to include these two boys as much as possible. Then in summer, one of the boys stopped coming to class because his mother put him out on the street to beg and beat him if he didn't make enough money. What did I do with him? Bribed him to come to class to learn English so that he may one day not end up putting his own kids on the street to beg. I have no control over what happened after I left, but I hope that my encouragement will help this boy have a better life, and I think that if you can do this for only one person then you have been a sucess.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Bunch of random thoughts on the issue:

If you're not going to try and make a change in the world, who is? We should not rely on others to make the world the way we want it.

Personal action which is based on an underlining truth (goodness) inextricably leads to social change.

If you have an image of the world as you want it inside you, then every action you take will be a step to the realisation of this world.

Once you start helping other people, people start helping you, and then you have a vitous circle.

The world needs more people willing to stand up and do something rather than falling back on to fatalism or dependancy.

"I believe this world's problems are caused by one thing. Greed."

I agree that greed (encouraged by consumerisms fetishism of growth) is a major problem. However I think if we go deeper we see that the root cause of this is fear - fear that somebody will come along and take what they have, fear that tomorrow they won't be able to have the standard of living they have today. People are trapped by fear and do not realise the damage it does to themselves and others.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:

I believe this world's problems are caused by one thing. Greed.

I'm not sure I agree with that one... a lot of it is, yes, like deforestation, famine, war etc... but if an earthquake brings down a building or a volcano erupts and kills a child, where's the greed in that? Some things are just bad with humans. Viruses aren't man-made (well actually... but let's not get into that), humans can die if they're too hot or cold or whatever. But greed has a lot to answer for!

Absolutely: Yes. You can make a difference in the tiny part of the world you move in, and that can radiate outwards. One beacon lighting thousands more, lighting millions and eventually billions. There's nothing to be ashamed of in wanting the world to be at peace, with everyone being happy and taken care of smile The hard thing, I think, is for one person to make a conscious enough effort to be that beacon for people. I want to make people happy, but it's tricky to do the right thing or the unselfish thing all the time. I guess that's being human.

Good luck smile

Written by: MiG

Only together can change be effected, methinks.

But the thing is we're ALL "one person". The world is billions of individual people. That's the point - if lots of "one person"s want something positive, and begin acting in the way you describe (stop buying McDs, battery eggs etc) then a real difference will be made.

It's because people are apathetic and want to follow another person's lead that we never start. If one person is brave enough to say what's right, and other people listen and do the same, that will make a big effect.

Those who say one person can't make a difference - have you heard of this guy called "Jesus"?! He's made a difference alright (for better or worse) to the last 2000 years. And he's DEAD! So you shouldn't be so defeatist smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Sunbird

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Come on Sunbird do you really believe that we have to experience war to know peace?

I think it's attitudes like that, that perpetuate war.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

asmany religious people,there are the same amount (if not more) of sceptics and aetheists

he says with complete disregard for every epoch but his own...

Written by:

In order for there to be peace we need to know what is not peace,otherwise how would we know it? It's very sad.

In order to be free we must suffer sevitude/slavery. Otherwise how would we know it?

In order to be alive we must experience death, otherwise how would we know it?

Alternatively we have something called collective memory which helps us out here... There have been wars in the past (and currently at present)... While I may not have directly experienced being in a war I would rather keep things that way because of my mediated knowledge of what war is like. Unless you propose somehow erasing every trace of war from evey mind on the planet your point is bunk - even if this were possible your position is highly questionable... your Manichaean methodology suffers taxonomical difficulties without an opposition to define terms against, but this has no bearing on the actuality of a situation.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

your Manichaean methodology suffers taxonomical difficulties

And in English this means...? wink

As far as I'm aware, I think the world has reached "Critical Mass" with regard to what could have been done to save it. Too many polluters, too many people valuing short term over long term gains. Blame it on whatever you want (the advancement of technology and the rise of capitalism are two of my favourites) but I don't think it's possible to salvage this planet in time to prevent it's destruction.

Governments (the only people with real power to change anything) are doing nothing. About the only thing that could save us would be an instant and dedicated change WORLDWIDE to renewable energy sources i.e. if there was an immediate policy to provide every single building with a wind turbine and a few solar panels each and abolish the national grid or equivalent.

Maybe also a move to make recycling the default, rather than the "Green option". It should be mandatory and normal to put your waste into 3 different bins, and not the exception.

Burying rubbish solves nothing, let's not have any more of that "Landfill" sillyness, eh?

But it won't happen. It would cost too much, and people are too lazy. They don't care that the world is going to hell in a handbasket so long as their own little corner is quiet and peaceful. All this hype about terrorism, and bird flu, and other piddling little stuff. It doesn't matter. Inside about 100 years it's all going to be academic, because we're going to have real problems surviving as a species.

Enjoy the planet while you can. Help your kids enjoy the planet while they can. Go see some beautiful lands, and some stunning life. The world is still beautiful (for the moment) and it's my plan to see what I can of it before I die, hopefully I'll be able to show some of my kids it.

(On a side note, tigers will probably not exist when I have kids. Think about that. There will be no tigers left in the world. They will be myth. A note in a biologist's handbook. Quite apart from upsetting Calvin, I can't imagine a world without the familiar stripes... The same goes for a number of other species. The world is dissolving at the seams, and we're going to watch it on TV) rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
hmm, is it ok to call it ironic that you just said everyone is obsessed with the short term, and then you saying you plan on just enjoying what we have while we have it? umm

unfortunatly thats the position i find myself in too.

maybe its just me, but the "actions speak louder than words" line seems relevant here. i know all i do is think and talk about problems, and i always have more thinking and talking to do................ frown bl humanity.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

hmm, is it ok to call it ironic that you just said everyone is obsessed with the short term, and then you saying you plan on just enjoying what we have while we have it? umm

It is ironic. However I don't believe that I (or anyone else) will be able to make a difference to the way the world is going. This world is going to die, and it's not possible for me to change that. So while I will live the best life I can, and try to minimise the damage I do, I'm under no illusions that it makes much difference. shrug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I quite doubt the world will die. I think that's a wee bit pessimistic. Things are extremely bad, hopefully lots of people will decide not to have kids and there will be less stinking humans fouling up the planet in future. Deserts will spread, many animals and plants (and funghi) will die out, but the world will certainly recover in a few million years. By which time we'll have buggered up Mars and the Moon. And probably every other planet.

I plan on evolving into a pure energy form in the next few months. That's how I'll be doing my bit to save the planet.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
Well, well, this certainly is a heavy, morose discussion!!

I feel like I've just stepped into a black hole.

With all the flaws. I would have said we have alot going for us. I don't believe that every human being on the planet is ever going to see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean you should throw in the towel, and loose faith in the good of human kind.

You've got to work hard for good things, life ain't easy!

...and yes, you can make a difference.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sethis, that explains it. What I'm hearing is that you (and other people) can’t even be bothered trying to make difference. Ha, no wonder the world is the way it is, no one is trying.

Lets all give up shall we, it's too hard wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
daize: Sorry, that's me. Feel free to ignore it and regain happiness.

Stone: What you're hearing is somewhat wrong.

There is me. I can live my life in a eco-friendly and green manner. I can start a farm, use natural things and build my own house. I can do nothing that will harm the people or animals of this planet. Good for me.

Thing is, there are 6,000,000,000 other people who are busy destroying it. Explain, please, how I make a difference. umm

Bear in mind that the argument "Well if everyone tried then it wouldn't happen..." is complete tosh. If everyone wanted to make a difference then (like you say) we wouldn't BE in this mess. I can be as green as I want and slow the destruction of the earth by, oohhhh, 3 milliseconds.

As I said in my original post, the people who can make a difference, won't, because it's too expensive or inconvenient. shrug

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Sethis, why is only the big picture important?

Just working on a small local patch of land, watching it grow,caring for the water and the soil, living a "green" life- that is a huge difference! Think of all the organisms that live in that little space and interact with it, it is amazing!Fish, frogs birds, trees,grains, bugs,... If you can acknowledge each part of the living organism as important,not judge them by size quantity " usefulness" or perceived sentience-- then whatever you do,no matter how small is , is significant.

Who said something about each drop of water containing the ocean? It is so true...

And we, and all those little organisms, live such brief lives. There is lots to do within that time, that profoundly effects each other. Whether or not the planet is doomed in the long term, we still have our moment. It is a very powerful moment, right now.

As for doing this sort of thing being hard, well, some bits, yes, but overall, it brings a lot of peace and happiness, maybe even occasional moments of " meaning" or insight! Well worth it, regardless of the outcome.

smiles
A

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Andrealee

I'm thinking the big picture is import to some people because they want the next generation and the generations after to be about to have the opportunity to have these 'meaningful moments of peace and happiness'. And if that means sacrificing your own happiness, maybe THAT is their 'meaningful moment'.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what their priority is. It's not wrong to want to enjoy life, otherwise it'll mean the efforts of those who choose to 'make the world a better place' are all for nothing.

I do get quite concerned by those whose attitudes are like 'I don't care if the world is going to [censored], I'll be dead by then...'

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*changes to gregorian chorus* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen ubbangel umm

I'd oppose you guys this time: let's all cease to be "better", because the world is full of heroes already(some even blow themselves up in the middle of a crowd to make a difference)...

Why make a difference, why joining up with each other, why actively change? Because of wars, hunger, devastation, erosion, violence and opression?

Well, do you remember the lines Agent Smith recited in "Matrix"? That there were already X number of Matrixes and they have been perfect, paradise on earth, but humans couldn't cope with it?

Is the urge to "make paradise on earth" not the same droopy dream as to "live in eternal bliss"?

Just think for a moment: How do you measure "goodness"? Against what? How do you experience the state of "ultimate bliss"?

If you look at an empty white canvas - you see: ???

Light! The entire range of possible colours - that is what you see! Now if you'd walk into a museum and all the walls are covered with white canvasses - how interesting would this be to you? Do you remember "god" telling Bruce Almighty that - in order to bring out the light - you have to use some dark colours?

If you look at an completely black canvas what do you see? Darkness! The absence of all light - that is what you see.

(Please correct me if you feel I am wrong - as a matter of fact I have no idea why I need to oppose this one here and now, maybe just in order to "test" or to provoke shrug )

Now how do you descern between light and darkness?

Okay I am getting carried off. Admitted.

My point is: Striving and aiming at something illusionary is causing suffering. I am certain that even the Dalai Lama is suffering from pathologically becoming "a better person". I am certain that Jesus did NOT regard himself a saint and that Buddha had strong doubts when he died.

We are comparing ourselves with wo/men who we regard as the "ultimate good" and are making attempts to follow their footsteps, in order to BECOME someone - instead of realising who we actually already ARE. This is a ratrace, as is every other.

To stop, sit back, relax and to open the eyes and see...
To see what is actually really there, right in front of you...
To recognise who is in front of you and to behave in the appropriate manner - not to aim for anything, just because it's what is necessary...
To enjoy doing just THIS - I am certain that this is as much difference as the world needs right now.

MHO - nothing more. Spank me if you think that it's appropriate... wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
disclaimer:

pls note that the above opinion might actually not reflect my own belief.
If these words offend you in any ways, pls do NOT take it personally. The voices have told me to type this... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sethis you can make a difference by involving other people in your eco-friendly and green life. Get other people involved, start a community project. Simple!

FireTom, me thinks you need better role models in your life. I don’t see the connection between a better world and people blowing themselves up.

I also think it’s a bit over the top to even suggest that the Dalai Lama is suffering from pathologically becoming a better person (that’s utter crap). Jesus was a man; what strong doubts did Buddha have ? (more utter utter crap)

spank

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Neon Shaolin, I think essentially I agree with you- at least in that it is a concern that people dont care about anything because they beleive they wont be around to see the effect, posative or negative. It concerns me mostly because people are then basing their decisions around an imaginary future possibility... and losing the impact they can have in their present.

When I say to appreciate the microcosm, or at least your very own world, neighborhood, community-- and to do it in the moment--it is because really, that is all we have.I definately believe in enjoying the present.I am quite a hedonist. But I believe that a lot of people ( including me) can, and do, find doing healthy, considerate, environmentally sound , community oriented, things to be enjoyable!

It offers a beauty,and a peace of mind that no toys or toxins could ever provide. One does it because it feels good, it works, it flows, it grows... The posative changes we can make are in fact, fascinating. Seeking and perhaps finding harmony , trying for and expereimenting with, alignment with life, feels wonderful.

Accepting responsibility for how you live- discovering your ability to respond-- it is not something one has to do for anyone else, or for a future potential. You can do it now, the best you can; just cause you like to, for your Self. It is no burden, it is just a way of being I like to cultivate .I bring community into it, because it is more fun that way, and we can do and learn things together that are even more motivating and exciting. I tend not to worry if I am the least bit perfect about it- I am not, dont even know what that is, life is just a work in progress.

So for me, someone living just for the moment is not necessarily the destructive selfish person some people might visualise. Quite the opposite in fact!

If, this action then results in something greater, and brings about future full of health happiness and mutual good will, fabulous! We shall see when we get there. But, for now, here, being thoughtful about how I relate to the world makes me happy.

I wonder who has been preached at so much that they have developed an interal resistance to the very idea of being themselves being "better"? I see it as just a kind of growth. Why not include a sense of fun, humour, and interesting life in your vision/definition of better? Don't strive for it, just create conditions for it to manifest; nurture, and play. Why make it something difficult or unsatisfying, a penance? Enjoy!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Oh, and FireTom, I did like alot of what you said...

But would caution that what we see, light or dark, may just be some kind of conversation between our eyes and our brains...;-)

And I personally doubt the Dalai Lama is suffering in a pathological fashion- certainly not any more than the inherent human condition. He seems like a pretty happy balanced funny guy to me. Perhaps you may be projectiing something from your own vision of the world on to him?!

Page: