Forums > Help! > Web design... anyone?

Login/Join to Participate

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
I need help with web-design!
Mostly cuz my web-design skills, suck!!!!

www.sikhball.com

Anyone? Anyone?

Compensation of course, post a note here, or at sikhball.com
if you're intrested...

ubbidea

Everything meets in the center...

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
try putting afew things around the outside of the main info, not too much though

Are you up for it?
wink;)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If you are interested, I would be happy to present some ideas based on what you have there. I won't say I am a professional, but it is something I am learning about.

If you want to do it your self, I would suggest:

First Page (with image) - Use a CSS div to place the image and text on the page so it will appear pretty much in the centre of any screen.

Navigation - If you want to keep the Index of the site as a central separate page, ensure that the other pages have an easy and obvious link back to the index. Otherwise have the index appear on every page.

PM me if you are interested. I can't guarantee time frames on the work due to other commitments, so I wouldn't be looking for a fee (maybe only freebies and a mention on the site).

Note: Just as firespinners hate amateurs who undercut on price, I am sure that web-designers hate people who offer to do it for free. So just to be clear, I have a lot on and can't guarantee time frames. I also am just learning and would use this for practice, so I can't guarantee you perfection. If you want a real professional job there are a few people around here who do this for a living and may well be able to help.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I do this for a living, but I have no problem with people doing things for free. I do how ever have many problems with most web sites and most people who make them (things are changing though...)

A few things I don't like:

1) Remove the 1st and 2nd pages. No one want 2 clicks before they can see any content.
2) Add the menu on all pages
3) Add some design. Apart from black and the pic, you have no design at all. If you're after a simple look then I think you've gone a bit too far. Once you start to think about a menu and content on every page you'll have to think about layout.
4) Remove the counter. If you want stats for your site, get some stats taht log more than numbers. Try Google Analytics.
5) Think about something other than yahoo (or any other free service) for your content and domain. Can you move your name to another host? Do yo upay for that? You really don't want to by tied in to any contract with that stuff.

That is the basic stuff. Here is a basic list of things that are wrong with the code. This could cause all sorts of problems.

1) don't use Yahoo.
2) Use CSS and apply it to semantic code. I'm willing to convert it to standards compliant code for you, once the design is in place.

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Try using some basic tables so you can maybe put a banner at the top, links on the left, right, or even under the banner, and of course the main content of the page.

Its a very common table layout millions of webpages use, because it works!

---edit -----

ok my example didn't work out right -

Try going here for really easy webpage tutorials - its where i first learned html coding!

I find javascript helps with stuff to - go here for spunky funky javascript cut and paste scripts. easy!
EDITED_BY: TinklePants (1144583338)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Sorry tink, but I would advise that people do not use tables for layout at all. There is no reason to use them at all, and they actually can't do as much as CSS.

The best thing I can say about that web site is that it is far from "A complete guide to HTML".

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
Thnxs for the info,

I totally wish I knew how to do that, but I'm totally HTML illiterate, and the rest of what you guys wrote is chinese...

I'll give it a try tho.

Peace

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Sym - was just saying that its a good place to start - there are other places on the net with far greater info but for a complete newbie it helped me lots about three years ago. And I just prefer using tables as I find them easy! I dont understand css tables - but i love messing about with css - mmmm coloured scrollbars ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
What ever next.....fire Kabadi?! ubblol What a cool looking form of sport/exercise!!

Needing a myspace account to view the video means I'll never watch it, sorry. If you have no bandwidth for that sort of hosting why not use googlevideos or something similar? I really wanna watch the video!! But I'll never give my details to myspace and get spammed forever....

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
LOL

I understand, I'll figure something out to get the video out to the public.

How can I post on this site?

Is there a max video size?