bradhornBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
on a set of poi, what do tyou think the most amount of wicking should be used? Dimensions would be nice! ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle ubbrollsmile juggle

VEGEMITE!!!!!!!!!!!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Hrmm.. methinx you need to lay off the crack with all your exclamations and graemlins.. that being said...

The answer to your questions is: as much weight as you can carry and as large as you can safely spin.. for example:

https://danzfunk.com/fire/2muchWick.mov
https://orbit.harm.org/Spinning/Damento/ControlledBurn.avi (the monkey fists at the end)

Of course, this is examples of what's been done, not anything I'd recommend to anyone to try.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
There's no such thing as too much wick! It all depends on how much you can afford.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there's no such thing.

Lay it on! biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
It also depends heavily on the fuel you use. Fuel with a low flash point like white gas (Coleman fuel) or denatured alcohol is VERY dangerous on large wicks. I'm pretty sure white gas was the fuel used in the Controlled Burn vid link above. Notice how easily the fuel transfers off those big wicks onto Cody and the floor.

A lot of people bring BIG wicks like that out to Burning Man without first testing them for safety and nine times out of ten end up burning themselves or others quite badly. I saw this happen a couple times last year. One resulted in a nasty third degree head burn.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I think I heard about the head burn one.. where the guy was spinning off burning fuel (without knowing) into the crowd and such, eventually dropping a burning glob on his head, unbeknownst to him for quite a while? Not a good situation.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I guess thats the danger with using low flashpoint fuels and not spinning off or removing excess fuel properly. Personally, being a paraffin nut, I wouldn't even attempt to use wicks that bit with colemans or alcohol.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't