Page:
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
(this is a double post i have already put it as a reply to somone i just thought it may be usfull in hear if not i will deleat smile )

ubbangel if someone could spell check this for me I would be most grateful ubbangel

Ok so having done an extensive search of nearly all the threads containing “wire wool” and “Sparkly poi” respectively

I have come up with a bit of info.

But I have discovered an answer to a common myth confused.

Yes there are lots of sparkly poi threads but most of them are useless with limited info

And some quite outdated advice that is actually quite dangerous eek………….

Wire wool spinning is spinning of wire gages (usually made of chicken wire) filled with burning wire wool it is very very dangerous as hot lumps of molten metal are spraying out all over the place. frown

But it dose look very pretty. biggrin

I have used wire wool a few times and hear are my following top 20 tips.

1 make sure your cage and chain construction is solid (don’t want it falling apart mid spin) good solid quick links should be used

2 make sure the holes in your cage are quite big not to big about 1 to 2 inches across

3 use fine grade wire wool it works better the finer the better

4 don’t pack your cages to tight you need good air flow over the wool for it to work (as we found out in Falmouth)

5 opposite to 4 don’t pack it to loose the burning wool wont pass its burn to the rest of the wool effectively (trial and error to get this right)

6 you don’t need to dip if you do your cages are badly constructed with not enough air flow.

7 spin fast but don’t do any body-cross moves (rotation flowers ect) (in-fact don’t to flowers you don’t want the poi head spinning towards you) (buzz saws are right out)

8 don’t make your cages to big this will make them heavy and un-wielding

9 try to make the bottom of your cage round improves air flow over the hot end of the wool

10 in-fact tube shaped is best no sharp edges to catch on stuff

11 if you want to have longer burn time line your cages with a metal can so only the end of the wool burns and the rest feeds down into it as the wool burns away

12 if you do have feed tubes make sure they are smooth or the wool will just snag will not feed into the end of the cages

13 spin in the open (I mean open your back yard will not do)

14 don’t spin near any combustible stuff IE the dry ground, cars, people, buildings that sort of stuff. best done after a good rain shower

15 keep people and animals well back say 20 m or so (you never know what might happen (we once had a head come completely come off))

16 keep all skin and hair well covered ( I got a very bad burn just by one glancing my arm)

17 if stuff dose go wrong drop them and walk away don’t try to put them out they are dam dam hot if you can drop a very damp towel on them or even better fire blanket

18 when you have finished don’t try to empty the remains out straight away wait for it to cool the lump in the bottom is semi molten metal and is hot

19 empty the remains into a metal tin it will still be hot for a long time (don’t want to start any fires now do we wink)

20 be sure you are a good spinner don’t do silly stuff and practice with full cages unlit to get used to the feel of them

Out of the links I did find some were vary good please read them all before even attempting wool work

This link has some great safety info by fireNice and has some good replies.

[Old link]

This one has a bit of useful info and some nice links by fluffy

(LINK COMMING SOON SEARCH IS PLAYING UP redface)

A quote from Frodo someone who’s advice I would trust.

Written by: Frodo

use the finest grade wire wool that you can, DON’T dip, and don’t light!!!

sound confusing? well just use a normal household 9V battery, thats what i use, dry wire wool and a 9V it makes an even brighter wall of wooll!!!

don’t take my word for it, try it!!

frodo out

Hear is a pick of a good design with a feeding tin for longer burn times.

https://home.wanadoo.nl/rhoutappel/plaatjes/poi/wirewoolpoi.jpg

This is just an example one of the many picks I have found and is how not to go about it not enough space sparks are hitting what looks like a wooden fence and who knows what is on the other side of the fence ( may be a cat doing an impression of a dog wwooooooooofffffff)

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3444

Always think safety first ubbangel

cool

ubbangelif someone could spell check this for me I would be most grateful ubbangel

EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1137983797)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

NelumGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks for a grate Thread .....i have been looking for serious information and construction tips for a long time now...And with you help..... biggrinI had my firs "sparkle spin " on wednesday night....nice!
And tomorrow night we are trying colored flames. ubblove...Can´t wait!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Anyone else think this thread should be auto linked to 'wire wool', 'wirewool', in the same way as the safety one for fire breathing ?

I think the world might be a slightly better,safer place that way smile
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168448322)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
yes, and what about sparkly poi, steel wool, and the other variatons tongue

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
as many as they care to implement, I hadn't seen the term 'sparkly poi' before today.

sparkly poi
steel wool
wire wool
wirewool
sparkler poi

would be a reasonable list to catch most threads that end up on the subject and help make the readers more aware of things ?

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Hmm,
The term "Sparkly poi" may also include titanium flake spiked poi or other types of sparking additives, so the idea of a context filter might be a bit restrictive in this case.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeay thank for the info... as ever hop has just what i needed

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

brianmtuknewbie
9 posts

Posted:
got any ideas what i could mix colour changing chemicals with that would burn with the wire wool?

brianmtuknewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Ive got some wire wool pictures you guys might be interested in on my website wink, check them out!... bigfunwithbrian.com
sunny

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I dont think that very many color changing chemicals are going to work like they would with poi, you might be able to see them burn off in the cage and thats about it..

"Runs with Scissors"

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Ive got some wire wool pictures you guys might be interested in on my website

and there for sale! :/

"Runs with Scissors"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
The one under the bridge where the sparks hitting the wall make a frame is very cool, havn't seen that before, nice pic.

Are you shooting analog? or what kind of digital to get decent IQ at A3?

and good luck selling them!

(I'm broke, been trying to sell some of my favourite pics for months, no takers :/ )

brianmtuknewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Im using a digital. Much better when you can see what your getting straight away - instead of waiting for them to be processed! :-)

'and there for sale! :/'
I'm not forcing you to buy them! Just thought you might like to look at them as they are related to this thread.....

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm resurrecting an old thread as I stumbled upon some great pictures of vast amounts of sparkly goodness!

Photos 3,4 & 5 from The Big Picture are from the Lantern Festival in Nuanquan, China.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
very cool!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

dancingtreeSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
This can be done with a staff, and looks fantastic.

Disaster_Casestranger
1 post

Posted:
I just snagged one of your pics and it's my background! I freggin love it!!!!!!!

Page: