Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
HI,

I know i'm going to need some advice. We are hoping to construct a fire sculpture in the garden of an art gallery I work at. Does anyone know of the best way to protect the grass? Or is that a silly question?? :0)

Anyway, when I know a few more details i'm sure to have a few more queries! This is just your starter for ten!

*hugs*

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Gasuyinamember
30 posts
Location: Currently nr Salisbury, but occasionally Bath, or ...

Posted:
Woo... The only one i've seen was basically a big bowl, held about a foot off the ground that had a sculpted wire cage, filled with something like kevlar, and then a sprinkler system that sprayed the feul with it. You got pretty crackly splashes when it was sprayed, and it didn't smell so i don't know what the feul was, but that was how they protected the grass.

--,--'--|@

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
oooh! I hve no idea about the grass, sorry, but I'd love to see it!

This could be my most useless post ever...

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Karen, It might be worth giving Jake a shout. He's talking about fire sculptures for the meet in Swindon. He might have some ideas???

Gayle.....!

226 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone. Is Jake's screen name Jake? Apologies for lameness!

*hugs*

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
put some stone slabs down underneath? might squish the grass but it'd be ok for a short time. too long and it'll all go yellow, but it won't burn....... biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jake's screen name is JtJ. good luck karen ubblove hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
karen, I was thinking about mo-se - have a look at this...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...t=500&page=

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

karen, I was thinking about mo-se - have a look at this...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...t=500&page=

Hey, you robbed my ph wink

The sculpture in the photo was done on a scaffolding tripod, on cobbles, with kittylitter to sop up any excess paraffin. (There's more details here: https://www.mo-seph.com/main/fire/tensegrity/samhuinn)

I've done sculptures on grass before, and we've used sand to cover the grass. After the show the worst of it can be carefully shoveled up, and the remainder will (hopefully) merge back into the rest of the lawn.

Good luck!

monkeys ate my brain

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ours is here.

Hop Gallery

Pretty simple and small compared to mo sephs. Its the size of 44 gallon drum lids but still puts out lots of heat. The sand and kitty litter sounds a plan.

You havent said if you want a one off burn or continuous or many burns.....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lisa (faberge) and I have been playing round with some really basic structures as prototypes...

I've just uploaded a pic of our logo...

Clicky here

Let me know what you think smile

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Lovely photos. I wanna wanna try!!!

Might have a gig coming up soon and i think this sort of thing would go down really well. So some experimentation is in order.

Moseph. Can you recommend any links for paper rope?

Any advice on structures? Things to try for the novice?

Love is the law.

AtarBRONZE Member
52 posts

Posted:
The Flaming Lotus Grrrls that exhibit their fire art at Burning Man may have some advice for you. That is some bitchin' art there though *looks at the pictures above* Wheee, now I wanna make something along those lines biggrin

Also, some more pictures of their art at the BM website.

High on Life!

226 posts

Posted:
Wow..the fire safety manuel on the Flaming Lotus site is great!

Mo-Seph - the bit on how you created your scupture was really inciteful - thanks

Furry Purple - gorgeous! It says its your logo .... cool!

:hugs: Thank you so much for your advice. I'll be sure to post some photos to add to these beautiful images above.

226 posts

Posted:
Hey again.

I have another question. Apparently parrafin is not environmentally sound and therefore no public funded body can use it (ie the gallery). Who knows which is the greenest fuel? I have done a search but not to much avail!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Am I the only one who thinks thats a little silly?

Do they never fund anyting that need a car? Do they have uPVC windows? There are a whole host of things that arn't "environmentally sound"....!

Anyway, sorry, I hvae no idea. Are you sure they can't use it?

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I can't think of anything cleaner than Parrafin you could use to make a fire sculpture. Sorry. It's about as clean a fuel as they come, as I understand it.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

226 posts

Posted:
I know its really weird. I'm hoping that they will change their mind. Lazy Angel suggested Citroenella Oil in the mix with parrafin. Its just odd to me!!

1,643 posts

Posted:
there is some strange fuel that we have downstairs for an eco friendly oil lamp thingy... i really don't know what it's made of, but there are ecological alternatives, i tried one for spinning once that was from germany, but it burned hotter and smelt like chip fat, bloody hurt if you got splashed too..., but for a sculpture, it is probably ok....

citronella oil on it's own would burn also, but you might need a lot of it, and it's quite expensive....

i'll post this now but in about 10 minutes or so, i should be able to find out what the oil we have for the burner thingy is.... and maybe get you a link....

226 posts

Posted:
Thanks NOn that would be great! hug

1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm... right, apparently the thing downstairs has no name, but it's some sort of fire gel, that makes these things burn...

https://www.acanthafireplaces.com/products/gelburners/fabio.htm

i was told it was ecological, but on closer inspection i'm not entirely convinced and i can't get the ingredients... i have found a similar gel like thing for citronella oil though, here.

https://www.just-candles.net/Details.asp?PID=8153

you could try and persuade them with a clean burning lamp oil (although that's still paraffin):

https://www.waxandwane.co.uk/lampOilRefill.shtml

I can't find a link to this german one at the moment, it's really frustrating, as neither have i found a uk equivalent.... however what you'd be looking for is something vegetable based... i found this, which claims that the greeks used olive oil in lamps...

https://www.thatsgreece.com/online/articl...p;articleid=316

i'm sorry i couldn't find this link to supplier for you, but it might be worth trying a few experiments with vegetable oil, also linseed oil (you can buy in hardware stores) burns alarmingly well and in fact carries warning against spontaneous combustion!... also try citronella, i met someone who used it for staff, unadulterated with paraffin or whatever, so it must work....

i will let you know if i manage to find anything else, but hopefullly this can give you a starting point for research. Perhaps the gallery will be happy for just a clean burning lamp oil, you never know, or revert to paraffin if it's going to cost too much wink

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
If you can get hold of it, biodiesel is certainly worth a look.

You may be able to use straight vegetable oil, or you may need to add something a little more volatile to make it work nicely.

What kind of ecological are they interested in? Do they mean "not from fossil fuels" or do they mean "doesn't make black smoke". Would something carbon neutral but smoky be ok?

Would methanol be OK? (It certainly *can* be made from distillation - it's often called "wood alcohol"). How about denatured ethanol if you can get that cheaply?

I've used a fuel gel from camping shops which is great fun - you squeeze it on like toothpaste and set it alight. It's meths based, but I suspect that the gelling agent is some kind of petrochemical...

The flaming lotus installation rocked! Although I didn't find it very engaging. The guy who had a four propane jets on a 30ft pendulum that could rocket up into the sky got my vote wink

monkeys ate my brain

226 posts

Posted:
Thanks soooooo much for your advice. I have to admit the fire sculptures have now changed venue due to the restrictions the gallery faced! Its really great though to find out about green fuels as i'm sure lots of people (including myself) are interested in it.

The sculptures are happening a week on Tuesday by the Mercury Theatre in Colchester if anyone wants to pop along. I'll definately take photos and show you all!

hug thank you!

226 posts

Posted:
Fire sculptures are tonight ...apologies if anyone tried to go last night. Still over by the Mercury Theatre in Colchester. I hope to be there by 6.30 as I have another group before but the action should kick off at 6pm.

Will post pictures asap!

Thanks everyone for your help!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ooh good luck honey!! Looking forward to the piccies!! ubblove hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I want pictures!

How did it go?

hug

226 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=28948

Sorry about the delay. Wanadoo smell and I have no internet. Here is one picture but I will add more at LazyAngel's house at the weekend.

The evening went really well and was full of yummy fire. Our group made a beautiful unicorn!

Thanks everyone for their help with this matter. Promise to post more piccies asap!

*hug*