Forums > Social Chat > US DVORAC makes my head spin faster!

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Guys.... excuse me of course also girls:

what is US Dvorak?... the keyboard always switches from US (English) to US (Dvorac)... and since I have my eyes glued to the keyboard almost all the time I miss it when it happens *&%$(# and then comes this:

"Igfo .qjgo. m. ru jrgpo. anro icpnov ,day co GO EkrpajZ vvv yd. t.fxrape an,afo o,cyjd.o uprm GO (>bincod) yr GO (Ekrpaj)vvv abe ocbj."

This is actually the message re-typed in US (Dvorak)

Anybody knows?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yep, it's a keyboard layout that's supposed to be more efficient than the qwerty layout.

Have a look here for the layout: click me, click me

The theory is that the most commonly used characters are placed under the most dextrous fingers, letting the typist hit them faster.

Sounds like a good idea to me and sometimes I wouldn't mind a Dvorak keyboard, but I really can't be bothered to relearn to touch-type.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1135958596)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thanks bovril... dvorak doesn't make sense w/o the keyboard attached... dvorak - strange name... rolleyes the idea behind it is not stupid, but as you rightly stated: why bother to learn it new...

besides for germans the regular is actually a funny layout, as the only word able to be typed in one go on the left hand (scrabblylike) is "wert" - meaning "value"...

whatever that means

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
You have to remember that the dvorak setup has actually been around much longer than our traditional layout. The reason that we have what we have is because the typewriters couldn't keep up when someone was using the dvorak setup. The keys kept on jamming so they rearranged the keys so that the typist would slow down.

With the computer, there is no need for the slower typing so the dvorak layout is starting to be used. Personally I don't think it will be widely used until they make keyboards laid out in that style and then when they start using them in classes.

I used the layout at a job a couple of times. Even having to watch the keyboard, my typing speed did not suffer.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg