Forums > Social Chat > Firechair Student Dies; Others Set Friends On Fire

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
"Ohio Student Dies During [Firechair] Truck Stunt" & Other Kids Set Their Friends On Fire
(title edited by FireMike)
by AP, published on CNN.com
11/22/02 11:51

TIFFIN, Ohio (AP) - A college freshman died after falling from a moving pickup truck in a stunt possibly inspired by the television show ``Jackass,'' authorities said.

Adam Ports, 18, and three fellow students at Tiffin University set a chair on fire and threw it from the back of a moving truck Tuesday night while friends photographed the stunt. Ports then jumped or fell from the truck as it sped away on a country road, officials said.

He died Wednesday from head injuries.

``They were trying to create some type of stunt like they have on the TV show 'Jackass,''' Seneca County sheriff's Sgt. Brian Hescht wrote in a report. The now-defunct MTV show of crude stunts was made into a movie that debuted last month.

MTV/Paramount spokeswoman Marnie Malter denied that the show was to blame.

``The police report that was filed makes it clear that this incident has no connection to any stunts performed on the 'Jackass' television show or film,'' Malter said.

``Jackass'' has drawn criticism in the past for allegedly encouraging dangerous behavior.

After one show showed a man in a fireproof suit being set ablaze on a grill, a few imitators were burned trying to perform their own variations.

A New Hampshire boy said he was inspired by ``Jackass'' to ignite lamp oil on a 12-year-old friend, who suffered burns over 30 percent of his body last year. Last week, a 15-year-boy in Seattle suffered severe burns after he and his friends soaked his T-shirt in alcohol and lit it on fire. Officers said they were attempting a ``Jackass'' stunt.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life"
-- Kaz

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele'sWhippingBoy:
"Stupid people are the reason that there are warning labels on products.
The best one I've seen was on some rechargeable batteries (AA). The warning was something to the effect that if the battery became logded in your nose or ears, that you needed to call the emergency room.

You realize they put that on there because it happened once somewhere.

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
check these out...

they're all pretty good but there are some definite highlights....

"May be harmful if swallowed." -- On a shipment of hammers.
"Not intended for highway use." -- On a 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow.
"Warning: May contain nuts." -- On a package of peanuts.
"Always drive on roads. Not on people." -- From a car commercial which shows a vehicle "body-surfing" at a concert.
"Do not use intimately." -- On a tube of deodorant.

ooo...gotta stop...too many good ones.

wandershroomBRONZE Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I say use Common Sense!!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
best ones gotta be

"will burn when Hot" on a kettle at work

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm 14, and that level of stupidity is beyond imagination. I'm not saying I haven't done stupid things, I have, I often do. I play with matches, candles, and full-blown fires when we're camping. I have never lit up on Poi before, and won't for about another four years. I sneak out at night, jump off things, and scale cliffs a little too high for Mum's liking. I can tell you, precisely, why most teenagers do stupid things. We are curious. We want to explore, we want to find out our limits. We want to impress others; friends, family, and significant others alike. We want to find out what will happen, and not just ask, but experience it. Most of all we want to have fun and contradict our parents.

Now, nothing I just said justifies what those imbeciles did. They were overly-stupid, arrogant, and didn't properly think things through. But some people don't. Even when they do something as major as that. That stunt, honestly, would have been really cool if they had thought it through and taken proper safety measures. No doubt in my mind.

Does anyone see what I mean, or agree with me at least?

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
laugh3 i was thinking the same thing FRD!!! grin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bendy
/----------------\
| |
| GENE POOL |
| |
| NO RUNNING |
| NO DIVING |
| NO FOOD |
| NO PEEING |
| NO JACKASSES |
| Please. |
| |
\----------------/
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
/========\

Hilarious Adam West meme related pictures aside, that's some pretty funny ASCII right there.

-edit-

Bloody hard to quote properly though frown
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1221254560)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Page: