Forums > Social Discussion > what the #$%* is going on in australia?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Racial tensions spark Sydney beach violence

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:20 PM ET

By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Racial tension erupted into violence on a Sydney beach on Sunday when around 5,000 people, some yelling racist chants, attacked youths of a Middle Eastern background, saying they were defending their stretch of beach.

Thousands of local surfers and beachgoers gathered at Cronulla Beach after two young lifesavers were attacked last Sunday by a group of young men from Sydney's western suburbs.

Drunken youths chased and attacked Australians of Middle East appearance at the beach in Sydney's south, sending some cowering into shops and hotels for safety, as riot police and dog squads tried to stop the violence.

By Sunday night, violence had spread to a second beach, Maroubra, where men armed with baseball bats smashed cars. Police said a man was stabbed in the back in south Sydney in what media reports said appeared to be further racial violence.

As the crowd moved along the beach and foreshore, one man on the back of a truck shouted: "No more Lebs (Lebanese)" -- a chant picked up by the group around him. Others carried Australian flags and dressed in Australian sports shirts.

"This is Australia, if they don't like it they can go home," local resident Allan told reporters as he watched the violence.

Police arrested 12 people for offensive behavior and assault and blocked roads into Cronulla Beach, which was littered with broken beer bottles.

"The behavior that has been seen down here at Cronulla today is nothing short of disgusting and disgraceful. It is certainly not the Australian way," said Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin. He said some of those attacked were of Arabic background but had been born in Australia.

Cronulla resident Tertia Harry wept as she watched the violence. "I would expect scenes like this in South Africa but not here," she told reporters. "In 2005, there should not be this disgusting display of racism."

VIGILANTES

Cronulla Beach was the scene of an attack on two lifeguards last week and a brawl later in the week in which youths turned on a media crew.

Following the attacks on the volunteer lifesavers, a mobile telephone text campaign started, calling on Cronulla locals to rally this Sunday to protect their beach.

In response, a text campaign urged youths from western Sydney to be at Cronulla this Sunday to protect their mates.

All week police and politicians have been calling for calm.

Sydney's Islamic community blamed the violence at Cronulla Beach on "racist and irresponsible" sections of the media which turned a common youth issue into an issue of ethnicity.

"Innocent people have been bashed as a result of this simmering racial hatred," said Kaysar Trad, president of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia.

link

frown this makes me angry and sad frown

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
That's very true. The media is frighteningly powerful.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Alan Jones IS in politics. You dont have to be a politician to be political and use your influence and status to have power over people.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

I’m surprised that even olive skinned people at work are asking is whether it’s safe to go into Melbourne on the weekend. The other question everyone is interested in, is if Alan Jones (strong Liberal supporter) will be charged for inciting hatred under the new anti-terrorist laws.

Australia don’t be America wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I doubt it.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

The other question everyone is interested in, is if Alan Jones (strong Liberal supporter) will be charged for inciting hatred under the new anti-terrorist laws.

Nah, I think it's only considered inciting hatred if you're a muslim/dark skinned/immigrant protesting against something that white people have done/are doing. Then you get arrested.

I've got an experiment. Have a white guy walk around a town centre with a sign saying "I hate Capitalism and Democracy" and see how long it takes for the police to show up. Then do the same thing with a non-white person. Wagers on who gets picked up first? rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Actually, as I recall, just recently two Australian men were conviced for racial vilification. They were leaders of a fundamentalist christian church and had made derogatory statements about muslims.
Things seem to be settling down at Cronulla now with apologies from leaders of both communities and group hugs for the tv.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Group huugs for the TV rarely mean sh!t

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
That's interesting jeffhigh, do you have any details?

Things seem to be settling down at Cronulla, i don't think. In a special sitting the NSW Gov is introducing more tough new laws to give police even more powers to clean up the “thugs”. The “shock jocks” walk.

In more enlightening news, our esteemed leader PM Howard, who said Australian involvement in the US led invasion, would not lead to an increase in terrorism in Australia, had now decided to pour billions in to the armed forces.

Where will it end?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
This is what I was referring to, https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11717092%5E1702,00.html
happened in Victoria.
Whilst hugs for the camera may be staged, it's better than the alternative.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
please consider:

however "powerful" massmedia might be - messagess and their content can only reach people who are orientated in a specific direction already (key - lock - principle)...

for say: if you're gay-guy, you won't react to a half naked girl on an advertisement and vice versa.

there are serious issues in Australia, as they are in the US, as in France, as in Germany, in Italy... name them yourself.

Racism has always been with mankind.

It's a educational, a governtmental, a media issue... you think that under a left government this would have happened, too? I don't fully agree.

People only act out like that, if they feel safe to do so and if they believe that their actions are supported by the "silent majority".

Howard has proven, like many other politicians, to silently support racial seggregation in Australia. There are many examples for this. Hence he gets re-elected. What message is this to narrow minded people (who just don't have the horizon to understand - sometimes by choice) in this country? What message is it to the american public, that G.W.B. gets re-elected (with of course NO intent to change the electoral system in the US, that has proven itself to be flawed in his first election already)... wink

The recently refuelled conflict (muslim-extremists vs. the rest) is very handy to politicians and corporate leaders to divert the attention of the people from internal environmental issues. To bring up laws no half way democratic would ever have accepted at any time before. To gain full control over the population. (Who doesn't have anything (bad) to hide has no problem with these laws...) rolleyes

This reminds me a lot of how the 3rd Reich was created and manifested - read the history books and you may understand.

Also it's a good idea to visit this site: (but be prepared) footinmouth

www.newamericancentury.org eek

Yes we're talking about "group hugs" hug for these (violent) people... And yes this may be the only real solution if you don't want to follow their "dark call to violence". But the "right and violent" (be they white or of any other background) are very well organised and most likely pretty clear upon their goals. frown

Alcohol is killing fear - whilst the holy puff is killing anger... peace

Why not trying this one meditate ?

I gave up my (life long) dream to migrate to Australia and left frustrated, realizing that a population as small as the one of my homestate Bavaria is able to seriously f**k up an entire continent as big as north-america... (the heart of Australia was killed by white settlers and cattle, rivers never reach the ocean anymore, uranium and goldmines in national parks... name it yourself) and it's still going on and neither byron, mullum, glasshouse mountains (name them yourself) are making a significant difference in this drama (back then)....

Sorry - that's my conclusion (so far)
umm

tOM peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
I guess my experience of Australia has been different.
Maybe I am naive, but I think that for an imigrant population we do pretty well.
I came here in '64, my first school friends were greek, egyptian and german migrants (this was paddington, sydney when it was a migrant area)
At High school in the Sutherland shire near Cronulla my best friends were of Aboriginal and chinese descent.
Through University I had a lot of contact with asian students and was glad to be able to help them when language difficulties impeded their understanding.
Work brought contact with Italian migrant based construction companies..
You cannot avoid participating in a multicultural society in Australia
Yes, there are racists in Australia as everywhere, but the general population is tolerant and welcoming and only reacts like we have seen recently when they are stirred up with fear by the media and the government

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well said jeff. i was in the middle of writing up something epic to the same affect - but itll have to wait till i finish work smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. i was on the train to the city today, and overheard two people, obviously associated with gangs, talking about some plans to start something with some greek / lebonese poeple.

humans are a breed of many flaws.

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ jeff: from which ethnic background are you descibing your experience in Australia?

Written by:

the general population is tolerant and welcoming and only reacts like we have seen recently when they are stirred up with fear by the media and the government

... i know you mean it well hug and i know you're right - hence this is NO excuse for whatever...

I see pictures in newspapers of kids running with the mob, having this frightening grin on the face as if they'd really enjoy what they are doing... frown

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jeffhigh, that is an interesting article. I’d say Judge Michael Higgins of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) made a great decision when he found in favour of the Islamic Council of Victoria, against Catch The Fire Ministries.

But what about the politic?

Catch the Fire church leader Pastor Nalliah, was an unsuccessful senate candidate for the Family First party in this year's federal election. Both Liberal and Labour parties gave preference to the Family First party in the last federal election.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
As peace talks continue Cronulla's beaches remain desolate …

December 16, 2005

(from SMH, author not listed)

PEACE talks don't count for much unless they're followed by peaceful action.

This Sunday, to counter the hateful images sent across the world last weekend, leaders of the Lebanese and Sutherland Shire communities intend to show a united face in Cronulla.

Following peace talks on the boardwalk yesterday between 28 community leaders, invitations were sent to Lebanese representatives to attend the launch of a surf boat at Cronulla on Sunday.

The talks also paved the way for young men of Middle Eastern descent to train as lifesavers with the Cronulla surf lifesaving clubs, and for young Lebanese teachers to help out at the surf schools.

The community leaders who met yesterday - including police, politicians, sport and acting identities, teachers - are determined to prevent a repeat of the violence that spread from Cronulla to Maroubra and Lakemba earlier this week.

They believe the way to peace is better understanding between the two communities.

"We are trying to look at ways we can promote awareness of other people's cultures because when there's a misunderstanding, that can lead to fear and that can turn to conflict," said former Cronulla rugby league player Jason Stevens.

Actor Daniel McPherson said: "The one place that everyone is fighting over and fighting for will be destroyed if we don't stop."

Nada Roude, of the Islamic Council of NSW, called on all Sydneysiders to play a part in keeping the peace. "Every individual in every sector must stand together and ensure that they display the maturity that we need to make sure Australia remains safe," she said.

The Sutherland Shire Mayor, Kevin Schreiber, praised the State Government for its swift action in beefing up police powers, but said it must also embark on an education campaign to encourage people to accept basic cultural differences.

He called for government funding for cultural liaison officers to help resolve conflict on the beachfront and parks.

"We need the Government's assistance in getting the message out there that the beaches are there to share but we must all agree on an appropriate behavioural code for public open spaces," Cr Schreiber said.

Ahmad Kamaleddine, president of the Lebanese Muslim Association, backed the call for cultural liaison officers and said he was determined to continue the dialogue with shire leaders. He will be at the surfboat launch on Sunday.

"Cronulla has been my beach for a very, very long time," he said. "I used to jig school and catch the train to go down there."

The apologies continued to roll in yesterday from Cronulla surfers for their behaviour last Sunday.

Glen Steele, a former first grade rugby league player whose image was splashed over TV screens at the height of the Cronulla race riot, said there was no intention for the day to end up like it had.

Steele, who played six games for the Cronulla Sharks in 1984, was seen on national television whipping the crowd into a frenzy.

"First of all, I'd like to apologise to the Middle Eastern community about what happened on Sunday," he told the Ten Network. "We've had problems with gangs in Cronulla especially in summer over the last five to eight years. And with summer approaching, and with the lifesaver bashing the week before, this is what the protest was all about."

Well.... seems to be cooling off around the Cronulla area - hopefully the same will happen to the other areas. As I said before - I think the problem is more to do with a lack of multicultural integration rather than plain racism. Hopefully the initiatives at the start of the article will help.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1134687735)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Good one!

Let's hope it will continue even more when the topic is off the mass media agenda...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
(currently living in Kogarah, 5 minute drive from brighton-le-sands)

On monday night me and a friend went to brighton and got some icecream, when we got back to the car in a sidestreet australians 'of middle eastern appearance' started doing huge blockies around where we were, after we left we saw four police vans heading there.......a bit reactionary rather than preventative.

i'm still waiting to see any long term plans to help the situation, simply increasing penalties doesnt change peoples attitudes.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
My dad lives in Brighton-le-sands.

AoM-EA doing blockies there is normal behaviour. As is being generally loud and alive in the icecream shops and on the street...in hottied up cars with ridiculously loud sound systems. Bugs the old Skippies like my dad no end cos they feel unsafe. I have never felt unsafe there cos I'm used to streetlife and all that... lived in London for 10 years etcetc. But I reckon that the cops will beeven more down on it now. I wonder how long till playing bad doof in a canary yellow Mazda counts as 'sedition'?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
hi newgabe wave um I got a mazda, I know the music's debateable but thankfully it's not yellow, being orange and all. Lucky hey wink

I dunno about sedition, but I know they brought in laws to stop da loud music coming outa cars in lots of Victorian country towns.

Talk about being unsafe. Unfortunately, one repercussion from all this is that the simple act of carrying fuel could lead to being charged of terrorism - especially if someone has a dark complexion.

I think we we all safer, and a lot better off before little Johnny marched us into a war we never needed to have. Like now everyone is scared.

frown
EDITED_BY: Stone (1134939886)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Talk about being unsafe. Unfortunately, one repercussion from all this is that the simple act of carrying fuel could lead to being charged of terrorism - especially if someone has a dark complexion.

meaning if your ethnic and in australia you should better cease (fire)spinning for a while???... eek

now that sucks...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No, not necessarily.

Just pointing out that all these changes to the laws and increased police powers are going to have far reaching consequences for everybody.

Welcome t the new normal, grrr.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
All this.... is scary.

It's bad enough the US is getting all woogy and paranoid and passing all sorts of bizarre laws taking away civil liberties and whipping the populace into a state of 'patriotic' pants-soiling.... I honestly thought the rest of the world was a little too smart to follow suit. Seeing Tony Blar become basically George Bush's lackey and trying to freak out the UK was terrible, now Australia too? Is this some kind of disease?

Don't give in, guys! Aagh!!

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
I found this article today which i thought was interesting...

Ethnic stereotypes too easy in rush to judge others
December 22, 2005
"Race" is too often confused with culture, social conditioning or tradition, writes Emily Maguire.

THE claim by the Prime Minister, John Howard, that there is no underlying racism in Australia was rejected by three-quarters of the respondents in a recent Herald Poll, but odds are that if any one of those respondents was personally accused of racism their denial would be as immediate and vehement as Howard's.

For most Australians, "racist" is the worst insult there is. It's like being called a Nazi or child murderer. It is also one of the most useless charges because it can so easily be discounted by counter-accusations of "political correctness" or "playing the race card". But the word racism has a precise meaning, and its proper usage is important if we are to have a mature and frank discussion about race in Australia.

"Racism" is often understood as a synonym for "fascism" or "hatred". A racist is a violent, venomous person with a superiority complex. A racist hates and wants to hurt people who are different. A racist treats people of other ethnicities as less than human.

Little wonder that Howard is quick to defend Australians against such charges. We are not, with a few ugly exceptions, a nation of violent, xenophobic haters. The reaction to the Cronulla riot testifies to this: you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone apart from dedicated white supremacist groups who supported the thuggery displayed there.

But to restrict our definition of racism to hostile or hateful attitudes and behaviours is a mistake. History tells us that while racially motivated atrocities such as the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide were committed by people who openly expressed hatred of their victims, horrors have also been committed by peaceful, decent people acting out of racist beliefs.

The evil of slavery is not lessened because slave owners believed they were acting righteously. The pain of those stolen from their Aboriginal families is not reduced by the knowledge their abductors had good intentions.

Racism has nothing to do with intentions and everything to do with making assumptions about people based on their ethnicity. It is not necessarily caused by hatred or ill-will, but it is always the product of ignorance and misinformation.

Racist beliefs are always false because race does not, in a biological sense, exist. Science considers human beings to be a genetically homogenous species; that is, there is no trait or gene that distinguishes the members of one "race" from another.

Often when we think we are talking about "race" we are really talking about culture, social conditioning or tradition. This may seem an unimportant distinction but it is, in fact, vital.

Culture and social conditions are changeable and the upholding or discarding of tradition is a conscious choice. Thus we can, as a multi-cultural society, debate the merits or otherwise of our various traditions and cultural practices.

We can, as individuals and as a community, protest against practices we find offensive and embrace those that add to our quality of life. Race is irrelevant to any discussion about human behaviour because it has as much bearing on behaviour, and is as unchangeable, as shoe size.

But many Australians choose to talk in terms of race because it is easier. We need not feel ashamed that Aboriginal Australians have a life expectancy 20 years lower than other Australians, for example, because - the racist stereotype tells us - Aborigines are lazy drunks and petrol sniffers.

Every day, in workplaces and pubs, at backyard barbecues and on talkback radio, Australians can be heard making these kinds of judgements. Arabic men are naturally violent; the Lebanese are misogynists; Vietnamese people are drug dealers; Maoris are thugs.

These stereotypes allow us to wash our hands of the possibility that there may be social, economic and class issues in play. They justify inequality and oppression by placing the blame on unchangeable "race". Every one of these statements is racist. So is allowing them to go unchallenged.

All Australians need to acknowledge that racism is part of our culture. It is in our workplaces, homes, pubs and sports fields, expressed by our relatives, friends and colleagues, by us.

And this is where it has to be challenged. We need to be able to call racism by its proper name, to explain why it is absurd and divisive and wrong. We need to challenge each other to discuss ideas and beliefs rather than lazily pass along racial stereotypes.

And when the R-word is directed at us we need to stop defending and start questioning. Racism is a condition of ignorance - the only cure is education.
(end)

theres been a fair bit of media commentry ive disagreed with recently - but this seems to make good sense - what does everyone else think?

E.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, I think it’s a load of crap. Not sure of this NEW difinition of racism. As racism, by definition means one race is superior to others, and Australia does have a history of that. tres.

Written by:

All Australians need to acknowledge that racism is part of our culture. It is in our workplaces, homes, pubs and sports fields, expressed by our relatives, friends and colleagues, by us.

Suggest you find what Malcolm Fraser said recently about the current Liberal government, and have a read.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Dentrassi, I think it’s a load of crap.

Written by:

Hey Stone, long time no hear from. smile

The author does go on to say:

Written by:

And this is where it has to be challenged. We need to be able to call racism by its proper name, to explain why it is absurd and divisive and wrong. We need to challenge each other to discuss ideas and beliefs rather than lazily pass along racial stereotypes.

I think the author is arguing exactly the same thing as you are, that to define racism by behaviour is absurd, as racism is an attitude. The author is drawing attention to the fact that in all sorts of small ways that are rarely challenged Australians express racist sentiments.

Its not really a "new" definition of racism. Its the same old rubbish, and its not even a particularly original behaviour. It is the same sentiment as any comment that begins "I'm not racist but...". It is polite society excusing its prejudices under terms like "anti-political correctness" and "old-fashioned common sense".

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I think the author is arguing exactly the same thing as you are, that to define racism by behaviour is absurd, as racism is an attitude. The author is drawing attention to the fact that in all sorts of small ways that are rarely challenged Australians express racist sentiments.

thank you roz - my point exactly. smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ den: it makes perfect sense to me!

I experience everyone to be the same on one level or the other - it's people, not races. Yet there are a few conditionings - a general overlay so to speak - based on culture, climate, looks, financial background.

Sometypes generalisations can be helpful to understand, but mostly if one get's these stereotypes in the mind and can't navigate around them anymore they are vexatious.

I am not a racist, yet I believe some general stereotypes to be correct: ubbidea Pommies are always drunk, Americans simply cannot vote, Canadians would have an inferior complex, Italians are good lovers, French too of course, Africans have a large organ, are very rhythmical and are great lovers, Jamaicans are like Africans but always stoned, Germans are never funny - always (too) serious, Australians are like Pommies but have a very funny accent along, Indonesians are violent, so are Malaysians, Thai are always smiling and polite as is the rest of Asia - besides being violent, Chinese are working and Indians are cheating, though spiritual, Russians are like Pommies, but nobody really understands what they are saying, Men are violent and Women loving, except when they are gay, then it's vice versa, Irish are like Pommies but on Guiness, so are Scotsmen - even though they don't wannabe, Dutch love coffee at least in shops, ALL Brazilian wo/men are pretty, ALL pretty people are stupid and arrogand (except for the Brazilians), ALL Americans LOVE guns and like to carry one, at least everywhere below Tenessee... errm Kentucky, ALL Buddhists are pacifists and ALL Muslims potentially carry bombs, ALL cops are bad, ALL hippies are good, ALL politicians lie and ALL stupid...

wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Rozi, I’ve been around wink

Ok, then I find the article confusing, perhaps even contradictory. If racism isn’t the proper word or name for what happened in Sydney and Melbourne, then what is the correct word.

Australia does have a history of xenophobia, and recent policy decisions by Howard and Ruddock etc. only seem to reinforce this. In my opinion, Howard’s denial of racism is just sweeping things under the carpet. And Ruddock wasn’t booted out of Amnesty International doing good deeds for humanity. When I get time I’ll dig out Big Mal’s criticism of the current liberal government.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think Australia's histpry of xenophobia is to do with trying to find identity in a country where we're nearly all foreigners.

Page: