Forums > Help! > New Fire poi & Breathing Problems!

Login/Join to Participate

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
hi i was hoping for some advice .......

i got my first set of fire poi about 2 weeks ago (i love them sooo much) i've burnt them 3 times (i've been using paraffin) and every morning after i've used them i've noticed that my breathing has been kind of weezy and my chest has felt tight.

i've done a search and found a few people that have had the same problem but they generally seem to be people who have been burning 3 times a week for years before they have had any problems. the general opinion seemed to be just to give it a rest for a while.

is it normal to have problems in your first few times?
should i be using a different type of fuel?
is there anything i can do to help as i really don't wanna quit when i've only just got started?

thanks in advance for any help/advice smile

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Wearing a mask, probably best would be one used for spray painting (not simply the paper ones on a peice of elastic) so I assume.
smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Could be youre allergic to the paraffin as thats pretty common. Perhaps try a different fuel (white gas) and see if you have the same problems.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

fire_rhettMember
16 posts

Posted:
I agree, use a different fuel. Try that and see what happens. Do you have asthma?

Only boring people get bored

PINKY: What shall we do tonight Brain?
BRAIN: Same thing we do ever night Pinky.........
TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Probably over inhalation of the fumes. Completely stopping firetwirling may not be an option (yes.. I know. Unimaginable..), but my advise is to take a bit of a break for now, and when yuo start it again, be sure to regulate your breathing while twirling- it's easy to get excited and breath in fast and deeply.

If you check the MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) for solvent D60, one of the stated dangers (and I assume this would apply to practically all solvents and fuel) is exposure to fumes causing chemical pneumonitis:
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000143.htm

If kero's not doing it for you, look for something else. Good luck, read up, and be safe. smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't recommend using white gas to a newburnie, as it has its own saftey implications.

I also have this problem, and I only burn about once a fortnight. I am sensitive to other things like going into smoky bars as well. My breathing has never been really weezy but I have noticed a differece, especially with my chest being tight. The problem has never been bad enough for me to do something about it, although now I make sure I am aware of where the main clouds of smoke are going, and try not to breathe them in, having another light source such as a street light, does help illuminate the smoke. Especially when they've gone out, I stay clear of them, because there's no point breathing in all the smoke in for nothing.

If it is more of a problem for you then I would follow UCOF's advice, and buy a vapour mask, one which is a separate filter that fits into a rubber mask. I have one for dust and I know you can definately buy a vaour filter as well. The mask may be a bit pricey, mine cost me about £16 for all the bits, but they are really good, and definately protect you wheras the flimsy white ones do hardley anything at all.

Try searching the websites of arts and crafts suppliers (google), in the health and saftey sections and you should be able to find one there. They are also called repirator masks.

Good luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your advice guys, i will have a look into getting a mask and maybe try some different fuels.

i don't have asthma and have never been particularly sensitive to smoke before, but i guess theres a first time for everything!

smile weavesmiley

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."