Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > BATON 2005(St. Paul, MN, USA)

Login/Join to Participate

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
https://www.worldbaton2005.com/index_english.htm

Well this championship is over. Id like to know if someone was there and can comment it.

There is preview from Osaka too

https://www.worldbaton2005.com/movie_promo/worldbaton2004clips.wmv

with nice addings to Osaka vid.

:R

Edit: The next one is in Roma so Europeans can dream about smile

EDITED_BY: Richee (1130002581)

POI THEO(R)IST

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
God thats good stuff. Do they ever have competitions like that with long staffs?

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
No just with short baton staff, but you can try it with long staff too, cause what they do is almost inpossible with long staff smile. You can find video from the last year called "Official results Osaka 2004" is the best staff video I saw ever.

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
biggrin

almost impossible? Nahhhhhhhhh. You be careful with these impossibly words eh richee... wink

I decided to learn a frontside angel roll cos that the only thing on that video (along with the end holding stuff) that I haven't seen anybody do with a firestaff. [ There was a video of somebody doing it with a firestaff at nottingham, but I didn't see it, so it doesn't count. ] in terms of individual moves. Linking them up that way I haven't seen.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
meg...have you seen the elbow shuffle pops with a neck catch.. eek that was impressive (by the chinese girl) i tried and nearly broke my skull...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've seen neck catches and throws, but only by very stupid boys...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I DO fall into that catagory wink
the elbow shuffle works all pretty though, just tricky popping it high enough to catch without ugliness.

but a lot is doable I recon

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

shoonyanewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

biggrin

almost impossible? Nahhhhhhhhh. You be careful with these impossibly words eh richee... wink

Your so right mcp!! It´s all just a matter of training and feeling.
And there are some contact staff spinners you have never seen...
When you here something from Arashi give him a big hug or greets, he told me I should meet you but as I move to India in a few weeks it will not happen... frown carsten

People try to create an outwardly perfect life but quality of life is based on the inward -Sadhguru

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So arashi thinks I'm not totally [censored] now eh? Oh I'm soo glad. wink

Man, I wish it wasn't so cold here, staff is not so much fun when you can't feel your fingers...

I've never met you, but hope you have fun in india... biggrin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:

Man, I wish it wasn't so cold here, staff is not so much fun when you can't feel your fingers...

Hypocrit ubbloco

isnt that what contact staff is for wink

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Almost everything that a baton twirler does is easier with a long staff, it's greater length and weight give you more control and the staff more momentum & stability. Try doing the matrix with a devil stick for comparison.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you'd think eh? First time I did loads and loads of fishtails was with a baton.

Weird contact is much easier when you have a small metal thing with rubber ends approaching your face, rather than a large metal thing with metal ends, and screws and [censored].

Yes, you can feel a heavier stick more, and you have more room for contact, but well a baton is a nicely weighted device with the one heavy end giving you more options when it comes to contact.

And yet, people can matrix with devilsticks and batons. So it can't be that hard can it?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
aton is faster so you can think more further, its like playing chess.

"The good spinner has good sense what will happen after."

What you learn with short staff, will not brings you with long staff bigger problem .

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
apart from bad planes.

Planes come for free with long staffs.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
that propellor above the elbow would be well tricky with a long stick because you would have less room for error.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Absolutely Richee, If you learn a contact move with a short staff you're so much smoother when using longer one.

Meg, I've spent much of my summer practising with a baton twirler and playing with her toys. The 3/4 weighting of a baton does make some movements easier than they appear, but not as easy as doing them with a long staff.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
alright. I guess you would know then.

shoonyanewbie
8 posts

Posted:

When I started staff spinning in1991 we were in the Alpes with snow and -5 degrees C... so just spinn for 5 minutes before you start contact biggrin biggrin

People try to create an outwardly perfect life but quality of life is based on the inward -Sadhguru

shoonyanewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

Baton is faster so you can think more further, its like playing chess.

"The good spinner has good sense what will happen after."

A really good spinner doesn´t think anymore...
he is getting in tune , getting one with the staff not thinking of the next move.
So if you try contact staff sloooooww down and feel what is going on... This is the only way to really get control... rolleyes

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Yup, i ment not thinking of next move rather intuition, like 6th sense smile.
Meghan > i agree, you are right.

Well back it topic, have you been there, hear about it?

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I finally warmed my fingers up, I have bad circulation, it doesn't help...

1991! wow, So you've been spinning, for like, longer than arashi? Man, that's a long time.

I'm not at the stage where I can just let go and flow about in my moves. When I do this, I usually find something new, so it distracts me and I have to explore it. It's a bit of a pain.

shoonyanewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have to admit that we used really heavy wooden sticks 38mm diameter and 2,30 m long and were spinning for hours til there was no more flesh on the hand .. but finally we threw away all clothes (not the underwear!) wink

But I have bad circzulation as well so I am looking forward to spinning in South India with temperatures above 25 C ubbrollsmile

Hey isn´t it good to find something new? Next time when you feel the flow in your move try not thinking about what is happening, if you ever did that move or is it a new one, how to name or repeat it. Your subconsciousness will register and store the move you don´t have to care but the flow will go on what will lead to a different dimension of playing where there is no more distraction between you and the staff but oneness.... ubblove
EDITED_BY: shoonya (1130187545)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I wish.

unfotunately, I'm making up a routine too, so that's a massive distraction...

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:

I've seen neck catches and throws, but only by very stupid boys...

biggrin

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Needing a longer heavier stick for contact is bogus. Its all about what you get used to. I think the only difference is that when you use a bigger stick, the movement is going to be slower.

I personally prefer a 1.1meter staff that I can use for contact and multiple staff manipulations. A friend of mine was always trying to talk me out of practicing the half steves with such a small stick, but nowadays I find it much easier with the small stick than with the bigger one.

OK, granted, I still haven't managed to get the matrix with my small staffs, but for that I can hold elbow propellors.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'