Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
waist wraps, working on transitions between my weaves and butterflies.. its frustrating, i keep hitting myself, but then i think about the million times i hit myself learning reels and the 3 beat and now i can do all of those without thinking smile

Simon_du_MeeBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Reverse Three Beat Weave
its an easy concept to grasp on how to do it but i am just weak on my left hand so gonna work on my planes

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
have you tried two beat in reverse first? that helped be, after that 3 beat in reverse came naturally smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Try two beat with each hand on top.

If you naturally have the right hand on top start with your left on top and you might end up naturally switching to right on top, if you do this, thats half of the 3 beat motion. smile

Could also just try turning from fwd to rev, that can just click for some people. smile

hug

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
I still can't get waistwraps or crossers. I just cant seem to get into crossers properly. I do a weave then keep my arms in the hug position but my poi stay in side plane and I hit my head or nuts.

haha

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
I started to learn BTB weave then BTB 360 turn before i got waistwraps, not perfectly though but getting there.

In crossers, I started doing it by getting my arms crossed while doing side plain reverse split time spin with my right arm under my left arm. As the left hand poi(which is already in your right side) is going at the top as it spins, I then used my body to let the poi spin towards my back(the poi is spinning clockwise now) and the right poi(which is in your left side) spins in front doing clockwise as well then used my body left to right vice versa to do the cute crosser thingy. grin

Now I'm working on my reverse anti-spin flower coz I can only do the forward anti-spin. sigh! These reverse things always take me a while to do! bounce2 meditate

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Oh doing it with one hand at a time helps too with less probability of hitting your head and nuts. Some of many risk factors of trying to get that trick nailed! grin

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
hmm, im glad i don't have nuts

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Crossers just clicked one day for me. I need to look at variations though....

That will do for what I am working on now....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Took a while for them to click for me.

Mostly because I had no real desire to learn them, or was that because they didnt click for me? Probably both, self replicating.

hug

life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
still hitting my nuts and head with crossers. I think I'll just put a pin in it and continue cleaning up fountains.

haha

bbrittaneePoi + Hoop
21 posts

Posted:
Im a beginner, only have been spinning for a few weeks.. Havent even had muuuch time to spin. but im getting there.. Im learning the mexican wave right now.

-- When we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and we think we’re understood.. i think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion…
I think it’s what we live for ♥

AchiladoowegaSILVER Member
All Sloppy No Joe
22 posts

Posted:
Trying to learn the corkscrew and the split time opposites weave. Which my idiot left hand keeps messing up.

Gone spinning...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Working on getting butterfloop entries consistent. Can work on the exit later. tongue2

feelscapestranger
13 posts

Posted:
hyperloops, isolations and compound circles mostly.

life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
stopped abusing myself learning crossers and now I'm doing BTB stuff. Forwards BTB weaves, Reverse BTB weaves and turning/waistwraps. They is fun!

haha

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Crossers took me forever....

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to master weaves...and getting my hands doing different things! I start moving into the weave, and then it switches to the butterfly. Keeping the poi in split time is challenging!

ShayloCraystranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm a noob, so I'm working on 5 beat weaves and hand wraps. I can't do much anything in the way of dancing yet, but hopefully soon.

"Zydrate comes in a little glass vile.
And the little glass vile goes into the gun like a battery.
And the Zydrate gun goes somewhere against your anatomy.
And when the gun goes off, it sparks and you're ready for surgery."

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: keb84I'm trying to master weaves...and getting my hands doing different things! I start moving into the weave, and then it switches to the butterfly. Keeping the poi in split time is challenging!

Switching to butterfly accidently? Thats not a timing issue, that'd be a plane issue, unless you're somehow changing the direction of one poi without realising.

ShayloCray, theres nothing wrong with being a noob. If you want to get into dance, stalls are highly useful as well as transitions...

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah, everyone has to start somewhere. Keep at it. smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm mostly trying to get a behind the back weave and a plain crosser (I can get a butterfly crosser, but the "regular" one is being stubborn). I'm also working on some better transitions in my existing vocabulary of moves, and throwing in weird looking isolations into random places. I think I've learned three or four other things since I resolved to learn the btb weave and crossers, while making basically no progress on these.

I find the lack of visual cues with the behind the back weave troubling, and I don't have a good sense of how to time my movements without seeing what the poi are doing. I can swing my right hand over, throw my left over it, and get both poi to spin off to the right side of my body, but I think I've managed the transition back over to the left side once. I think I'm going to just keep prodding blindly until it happens to work.

With the crossers I can drive one poi on either shoulder, and I can do a couple of things people say are a good way to transition into it, but as soon as I try to make my first pivot the poi hit me. I don't know if I'm being too fast or too slow or if my planes are just f***ed (plane control is one of the major weaknesses in my butterfly crosser, my hip reel, windmill... well, I just suck at keeping planes where I want them, really).

(Hopefully my recent stumbling blocks will ruin my reputation as a "prodigy" among my friends. Too much pressure, that.)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Have you tried doing it in front of a mirror? It will give you some visual cues at least....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I have (well, conveniently placed windows, not a mirror), but without a setup that actually lets me see my back and what my hands are doing, it's not really giving me more information. I'm trying to get my hand work down with a 2 beat btb weave, which I have a hard time doing for more than a couple of cycles. If I can't keep my wrists just right, they end up swinging around and hitting me in the face or boobs. Attempts to throw in the extra turn that makes it a three beat results in an explosion of poi and facial bruises.

I had someone much better than me watch what I was doing, and they said I more or less have it except for keeping the planes in order, but I'm not sure where the loss of control is actually happening.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Sister,

smile

Good luck, happy spinnings.

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Okay, so now I'm working on the btb weave again. I'd put off serious work on it, and now I'm trying to get it down for real. It's very frustrating. VERY frustrating. I've got a lot better at it. With one empty hand I can sort of do the motion with one of the poi in the other, which is an improvement. I've even had it for two or three cycles a few times. The problem is my left hand. For some reason when I'm practicing parts of the movement one-handed it behaves, but if I do it with both hands, or even start into the weave with an empty right hand, the plane tilts way in towards my body and hits me in the shoulder. I can't seem to do anything that makes it not do this, and it's the only thing stopping me from getting it.

Humbug! I need someone to film me...

(yeah, I just came in from a practice session and needed to vent)

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
you and me are bout on the same exact page. were both working on the same stuff and having difficulties lol.
Try stretching arms, lately ive been stretching, and my btb rev weave is looking up, i cant figure out forward btb weave, but yet i just got 5 beat forward down and now im working on rev 5b weave, as well as cleaning up my btb rev weave

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, flexibility came with practice, and I imagine it will keep coming as I work on the motion. I just figured out last night what my major problem was, though.

When swinging one hand over the other, I noticed my arm really wants to swing out a bit, and this was tilting the plane in the direction of that motion. The poi would get to the other side, still tilted, and hit me in the shoulder. So I worked for a while on swinging my hands straight up and over the other one, and it worked like a charm. I still need to clean it up a bit, work on getting that motion right in the first couple of swings, but I think I basically know how to do it now.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Flexibility with waist wrap variations and cleaning up my uberloops.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Moving with CAPs mostly.

Also trying to clean up hyperloops the other way.

Page: ......